E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Lpg

Hey Guys,

Has anyone done an LPG conversion to their E46? Specifically M3? I was speaking to a mate and he said that you get pretty much the same fuel consumption, a bit power and only have to pay 70cents a litre for gas! Seems like a no brainer when I currently go through 15L every 100km and have to pay $1.60 for petrol...

What do you guys reckon?

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330

Last edited by Davconelectric; 03-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Alpine

My Ride: 2002 E46 BMW 330Ci
Have you ever driven an LPG car? Please don't ruin perfection.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Why? Because taxi.

Nah but seriously I wouldn't, don't screw with a BMW and especially a M3 which is designed for premium unleaded anyway.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
DeclanM3

My mate has it in his taxi and loves it. I want more power so it's either LPG or a supercharger and I don't like supercharger whine...

Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I think you're trolling for bites. But giving you the benefit of the doubt here:

- The M3 is a high strung performance car, they are finicky at the best of times. A LPG conversion involves a different tune, ignition leads have to be thicker, different spark plugs. Does that sound like something the S54 will be happy with?
- They need to be tuned regularly. The instant things start going out of tune, the car will run horribly.
- Falcondores have basic engines designed to last nearly forever and run into the ground, so they're more receptive to anything.
- Do you know how heavy those LPG tanks are? That'll negate the whole performance side of things.
- Have you factored installation costs? I'm willing to suggest that you will have to really rack up the miles before you start seeing a return.
- Also when the tune goes out of whack, that's when the backfires start and airboxes start imploding.

For the minor savings, added weight and headaches it's not worth it mate.

Last edited by Goondaddy; 03-10-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
DesiredM

Lol if you wanted fuel economy you should have got a 318i and lived with the fact it's slow as balls.

Honestly I know this is a troll but either way if you did it or not we would all come and burn your car or laugh when you pull up to a LPG tank to fill your car.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
ating

My Ride: 2004 M3
Keep the M3 as is and get a second car as a daily, or 50/50 car.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Sell m3 buy a Prius.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
Buy a taxi.
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goondaddy View Post
I think you're trolling for bites. But giving you the benefit of the doubt here:

- The M3 is a high strung performance car, they are finicky at the best of times. A LPG conversion involves a different tune, ignition leads have to be thicker, different spark plugs. Does that sound like something the S54 will be happy with?
- They need to be tuned regularly. The instant things start going out of tune, the car will run horribly.
- Falcondores have basic engines designed to last nearly forever and run into the ground, so they're more receptive to anything.
- Do you know how heavy those LPG tanks are? That'll negate the whole performance side of things.
- Have you factored installation costs? I'm willing to suggest that you will have to really rack up the miles before you start seeing a return.
- Also when the tune goes out of whack, that's when the backfires start and airboxes start imploding.

For the minor savings, added weight and headaches it's not worth it mate.
Trollololol. You got me! I'm quite happy with my 15L ever 100km usage. I'm never going to stop driving my car properly (read: like it's stolen) just for the sake of a few bucks!

Last edited by DeclanM3; 03-10-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
selien

My Ride: 330CI
Ive converted mine to LPG and I plan on getting a TAXI light also

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by selien View Post
Ive converted mine to LPG and I plan on getting a TAXI light also
Where are you going to put it? Boot?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
On a serious note, when I was younger I actually owned an XD Falcon with a 351 that was solely on gas not 50/50. It had been completely stripped down, reworked and rebuilt with gas in mind with a pure gas injection system, can't remember the name as it was ages ago. But I must say it did go well and I was extremely happy with it at the time. I never had it dyno'd back then, but it used to keep up with all my mates v8's who were running petrol and still had the torque to pull a big boat behind it as well.

Last edited by shannon1; 03-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
shannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
This sounds like a discussion for another country so my experience my not apply, but here in the US a CNG or LPG conversion doesn't quite involve those extreme tradeoffs. We have quite a few non-taxi vehicles that are CNG and they drive identical to petrol gas vehicles.

The conversion is EXTENSIVE for a car like the e46. Probably the biggest investment will be in the DME. Because of the nature of the fuel and that it puts out fewer BTUs of heat energy as compared to petrol gas. Injector pulse width and ignition timing has to be dramatically adjusted. Somebody is going to have to manually adjust all those values. Otherwise you'll need tanks, plumbing, dryers, and pressure transducers. The tanks surprisingly don't weigh as much as you think. For safety reasons, here in the US they're all composite (fiberglass). You can get carbon fiber ones if you wish. You also will need A LOT of tanks to get equivalent range between fuel ups. Expect to lose your entire trunk to tanks, and even then you won't have the full 400 mile range.

They also have some weird quirks. Because the gas pressure increases as ambient temp increases, they have to be fitted with safety bleeders. They don't activate very often so you don't have to worry about money automatically be ejected. However, when they activate they sound like a broken fan belt and they shake the whole car. There's also a dryer that separates the water from the gas, which will make a similar noise during purging. And in the engine, the pressure has to drop from the tank pressure (3000 psi) down to the fuel injector optimized pressure (50 psi). The pressure transducer, which is the part that drops the pressure, forms ice on its surface due to the extreme cold of dropping pressure.

I am in agreement about the concerns with premium fuel. I have no clue how anyone would figure this out, but its a big concern in a high compression motor like the S54.

Incidently, one of the big tuners converted a 330i e90 to LPG and it worked great, so its do-able.

Not sure if this helps, just wanted to add in some less speculative info to the discussion
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
selien

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Where are you going to put it? Boot?
Just like Europe, behind the windshield

I AM OF DUBIOUS NATURE
selien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
braaang

lol, realistically not the worst idea suggested - just lose some boot space

if you go LPi, where the injectors squirt liquid propane into the intake, you'll even pick up some hp.

or you can whack on a banga gas research carb with twin lines.
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Shinraaaa

My Ride: 330Ci Individual
Got a 320ci with lpg installed, Took months of fine tuning. Donut tank in the boot for space where the spare wheel was supposed to be stored.
Great for daily/cruiser, Good on price etc. I wouldn't recommend it if you arent ready for some hiccups.
Shinraaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #19
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
I'm converting my car to Avgas to save cash...wait a second.

Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch E46 View Post
I'm converting my car to Avgas to save cash...wait a second.
How? You don't have a civic?