E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Kizewic

My Ride: 2004 325i
How bad do snow tires hurt mileage?

I drive a 2004 325i with 24k miles for about 8 months of the year I ran stock continental tires on my 16 inch wheels and can get about 20mpg on average. Mostly city driving. But during the winter months I run 17 inch wheels with snow tires and a offset thats not ideal for my vehicle but the wheels and tires were free. Im not sure of the tire make but im lucky to get 16 or 17 the computer says. Is this normal to have this big of a loss?
Kizewic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
very badly, cuz when you're stuck in snow you are putting on no miles

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Kizewic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
very badly, cuz when you're stuck in snow you are putting on no miles
This is true. But it seems even when there is no snow and they are obviously still on. My mileage still suffers significantly.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, Quattros, Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizewic View Post
I drive a 2004 325i with 24k miles for about 8 months of the year I ran stock continental tires on my 16 inch wheels and can get about 20mpg on average. Mostly city driving. But during the winter months I run 17 inch wheels with snow tires and a offset thats not ideal for my vehicle but the wheels and tires were free. Im not sure of the tire make but im lucky to get 16 or 17 the computer says. Is this normal to have this big of a loss?
I run all seasons because I have an Xi and I live in Jersey which gets about 3 flurries a year if that. But I still noticed my mileage drop over the winter. I have heard that fuel has different chemicals in it for winter which allows the car to start more easily in the cold but sacrifices mileage. I have yet to verify this, however.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Kizewic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcollins View Post
I run all seasons because I have an Xi and I live in Jersey which gets about 3 flurries a year if that. But I still noticed my mileage drop over the winter. I have heard that fuel has different chemicals in it for winter which allows the car to start more easily in the cold but sacrifices mileage. I have yet to verify this, however.
hmm thats an interesting concept. I do know there are winter blends but never put thought into it. I live in northwest ohio and id be standed in my rwd without my snow tires lol. Im just excited to get them off shortly the driving experience is so much more fun.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
My milage is better with snow tires: lighter wheels (17s versus 18s) smaller tires 205s all around versus 255/235s).
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
My milage is better with snow tires: lighter wheels (17s versus 18s) smaller tires 205s all around versus 255/235s).
That makes sense but I'm surprised you can actually notice a difference.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R has the lowest rolling resistance of any tire on the market, so they positively affect gas mileage.

Stop buying inferior snow tires.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R has the lowest rolling resistance of any tire on the market, so they positively affect gas mileage.

Hakuna Matata tires?
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:

But doesn't love rolling resistance also mean less traction? Not really the point of a snow tire then. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"

Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizewic View Post
One, I would put the summer tires on the 17-inch wheels, and the snow tires on the 16s.

The tires should not affect the mileage very much, but snow has got to kill you in this area.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcollins View Post
But doesn't love rolling resistance also mean less traction? Not really the point of a snow tire then. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Rolling resistance and traction two completely different things.

OP---rule of thumb is that it could make a 10% difference.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
MercForHire

My Ride: sold...
i run on 15 inch winter tires. no noticable mileage decrease compare to 17 inch summers.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
Akonion

My Ride: Mercedes C230
Quote:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R has the lowest rolling resistance of any tire on the market...
Uh oh, we have a kal-tire employee here. When I was switching over to my winters Kal-Tire once tried to up sell me on all 4 of my shocks, which I just had done 6,000 kms prior by the Benz dealership for less than they quoted me. KTs mechanics and staff are a joke.

I actually have Hakka Rs and they are decent. They are useless on cold dry surfaces and ice, amazing on snow though. Would not get them again though seeing as in my city we get more ice than consistent fresh snowfall.

To answer OPs question, yes they do. Harder compounds, overly aggressive and chunky tread patterns lead to higher rolling resistance. Ergo, lower fuel mileage. Cars run less efficiently when they are in freezing temperatures in general, requires more energy to keep the engine warm. In summer I can get 750kms out of one tank as opposed to winter when I get 550-600kms.

2006 E46 330Ci or R171 SLK <---- MUST ACQUIRE

Last edited by Akonion; 03-12-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Akonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
not to mention when you have snow tires on it is most likely cold out, so our cars run in "cold mode" basically using alot more gas in compared to summer, when they are pretty much warm all the time
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
aggressive and chunky tread patterns lead to higher rolling resistance. Ergo, lower fuel mileage. Cars run less efficiently when they are in freezing temperatures in general, requires more energy to keep the engine warm.
^This. Add to this the heavily siped tread blocks tend to squirm more, generating heat. Heat = wasted energy. Also, that 17" wheel/tire combination probably weighs more than the 16" set...

But you have the winter setup for safety. And the first time you stop "just short enough" or continue safely where others have slid off the road, you are more than happy with slightly lower gas mileage.

Since you got the winter package at the right price, there are obviously no complaints, but, the conventional setup would be 225/45-17 in the summer and 205/55-16 for winter rubber.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Kizewic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
^This. Add to this the heavily siped tread blocks tend to squirm more, generating heat. Heat = wasted energy. Also, that 17" wheel/tire combination probably weighs more than the 16" set...

But you have the winter setup for safety. And the first time you stop "just short enough" or continue safely where others have slid off the road, you are more than happy with slightly lower gas mileage.

Since you got the winter package at the right price, there are obviously no complaints, but, the conventional setup would be 225/45-17 in the summer and 205/55-16 for winter rubber.
Oh I completely agree the snow tires are worth every accident they've saved me from. And the tires being free im not gonna complain about size lol.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
I actually have Hakka Rs and they are decent. They are useless on cold dry surfaces and ice, amazing on snow though. Would not get them again though seeing as in my city we get more ice than consistent fresh snowfall.
Nah man, they are like smooth all-season tires on dry pavement all the way up to and past their speed rating. They are phenomenal on ice for a non-studded tire.

I don't know you but I don't think your opinion is valid. They are the best snow tires in the world, no question.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
It is not all about the winter tires themselves, rather it is a combination of winter fuel composition, the tires, letting vehicles warm up more, other people driving more slowly, and in driving in snowy/wet/slushy conditions. Of those, in my opinion the largest effect on MPG would be driving in snow and/or slush. Even a small amount creates more rolling resistance.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote