E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #41
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Bob Lutz is a car guy and a damn good one. Nobody's denying that. But he has a myopic view of what drove GM bankrupt. Government regulation ...
While I certainly differ or disagree with some of your points, I’ll still stick by my assertion that no company makes money, they only makes products (physical, intellectual, services) for which, if done well, they receive money. Those business elements you discuss are of course vitally important, but they are ultimately important only in service to the higher paramount objective, to produce excellent, high-value products.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #42
217Bimmer
Banned User

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
While I certainly differ or disagree with some of your points, I’ll still stick by my assertion that no company makes money, they only makes products (physical, intellectual, services) for which, if done well, they receive money. Those business elements you discuss are of course vitally important, but they are ultimately important only in service to the higher paramount objective, to produce excellent, high-value products.
ummm no. maybe for a mom and pop store, but multinational corporations are in existence to make money. they couldn't care less what products or services they produce as long as they are making a return. does warren buffet buy coke stock because he likes the refreshing taste of cola? hell no, he wants to make money, lots and lots of money.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #43
Rhumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
ummm no. maybe for a mom and pop store, but multinational corporations are in existence to make money. they couldn't care less what products or services they produce as long as they are making a return. does warren buffet buy coke stock because he likes the refreshing taste of cola? hell no, he wants to make money, lots and lots of money.
I would disagree, I think your analysis is too narrow and limited in scope, scale and time; perhaps even a touch cynical.

Warren Buffet buys Coca Cola stock because he thinks they make the best product, cola in this instance, for which they receive money in the form of sales profits and that will eventually enrich his investment for that very reason.

So yes, in an extended sense, Warren Buffet does care that Coca Cola produces and sells and excellent product for if they didn't they wouldn't receive as much money and by extension, then neither would Warren. Again though, in the end, it does come down to Coca Cola producting the best product.

A firm that didn't care and wasn't discerning about what products they were investing in would soon go out of business for investing in inferior products where neither the manufacturer nor the investor would receive money. Ultimately there has to be some real value of a real high-quality product -- be it manufactured, intellectual, service or whatever -- undergirding the value of an investment, especially in the long term.

Lacking that real value, you get your bubble economy that some may be able to play to their advantage in the short term but will ultimately collapse, often ruinously, in the end (reference to 2008, the real estate bubble and the Great Recession.)

Last edited by Rhumb; 03-14-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #44
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
who cares about turnover when you pay your employees less than half of a competitor?

i don't give a fvck who works where. it's an investment. as long as it makes ME MONEY, IDGAF!!!
what a prick.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #45
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
only if you don't like making MONEY! buy walmart or walgreens if you want to see higher ROI. those extra wages going to employees could be going back to investors.
Already have stock in Wallmart. ROI is good, but so is a stable company with steady growth and consistent returns. Still have to do my research on Costco though.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-15-2013 at 12:25 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #46
Rhumb

Quote:
who cares about turnover when you pay your employees less than half of a competitor?

i don't give a fvck who works where. it's an investment. as long as it makes ME MONEY, IDGAF!!!
Which is fine were it all about you. However, the "me's" who are actually making money and thriving, economically, is becoming an ever smaller, and smaller sector of the American population.

Given that this is a democracy, and that the portion who are not thriving economically is becoming a huge majority of the electorate, perhaps you might want to GAF if only for your own self-interest in terms of a stable society and thriving overall consumer economy. Otherwise, this large majority will vote in terms of their interests, as is right and appropriate in our democracy, and if their interests and yours have evolved to be irreconcilable, it will be yours that will suffer.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #47
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Which is fine were it all about you. However, the "me's" who are actually making money and thriving, economically, is becoming an ever smaller, and smaller sector of the American population.

Given that this is a democracy, and that the portion who are not thriving economically is becoming a huge majority of the electorate, perhaps you might want to GAF if only for your own self-interest in terms of a stable society and thriving overall consumer economy. Otherwise, this large majority will vote in terms of their interests, as is right and appropriate in our democracy, and if their interests and yours have evolved to be irreconcilable, it will be yours that will suffer.
A republic is set up to avoid tyranny of a majority

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #48
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:

Quit trying to spice it up, lazy people who blame others are taking over.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #49
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
I would disagree, I think your analysis is too narrow and limited in scope, scale and time; perhaps even a touch cynical.

Warren Buffet buys Coca Cola stock because he thinks they make the best product, cola in this instance, for which they receive money in the form of sales profits and that will eventually enrich his investment for that very reason.

So yes, in an extended sense, Warren Buffet does care that Coca Cola produces and sells and excellent product for if they didn't they wouldn't receive as much money and by extension, then neither would Warren. Again though, in the end, it does come down to Coca Cola producting the best product.

A firm that didn't care and wasn't discerning about what products they were investing in would soon go out of business for investing in inferior products where neither the manufacturer nor the investor would receive money. Ultimately there has to be some real value of a real high-quality product -- be it manufactured, intellectual, service or whatever -- undergirding the value of an investment, especially in the long term.

Lacking that real value, you get your bubble economy that some may be able to play to their advantage in the short term but will ultimately collapse, often ruinously, in the end (reference to 2008, the real estate bubble and the Great Recession.)
I hope your investments are managed by a decent wealth manager because you have no idea how Warren Buffett invests. Try reading "The Intelligent Investor" if you actually want a clue of the thought process that goes through Buffett's head when he makes investments instead of assuming that he shares your ridiculous beliefs.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #50
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
On paper yes. In reality it isn't all peaches and cream. Most of the time the powerful and influential stay powerful and influential whether it be private or government sector.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-14-2013 at 04:14 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #51
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
On paper yes. In reality it isn't all peaches and cream. Most of the time the powerful and influential stay powerful and influential whether it be private or government sector.
Oh you are right, but the system isn't supposed to be set up where you get 51% and get to make the rules.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #52
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
People are tightening budgets due to a weak recession.. Stores like Costco thrive

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #53
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
People are tightening budgets due to a weak recession.. Stores like Costco thrive
We're in a recession?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #54
badfast

Quote:
Now what type of republic are we talking about here?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #55
badfast

Quote:
Oh you are right, but the system isn't supposed to be set up where you get 51% and get to make the rules.
Yea so what is the issue. First past the post buddy.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #56
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Yea so what is the issue. First past the post buddy.
Actually, no that isn't how it works. You're shockingly ignorant.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #57
badfast

Quote:
Actually, no that isn't how it works. You're shockingly ignorant.
Someone doesn't know how elections work.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #58
Act of God

Quote:
Someone doesn't know how elections work.
Yes that's why we have a system where someone can get the most votes and still not be president. Excellent observation. What's your opinion on California Prop 8 again?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #59
badfast

Quote:
Yes that's why we have a system where someone can get the most votes and still not be president. Excellent observation. What's your opinion on California Prop 8 again?
What does my stance on Prop 8 have to do with the way our election functions? Much less what does my or even your opinion matter. We both are not residents of Cali.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #60
Act of God

Quote:
What does my stance on Prop 8 have to do with the way our election functions? Much less what does my or even your opinion matter. We both are not residents of Cali.
this post shows exactly why you're not intelligent enough to discuss things with. I have drinking to do, good day sir.