E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
4BUCK

My Ride: '01 A4 1.8TQM
Top stuck...suspect CVM wires 13/14

Top gets stuck midway through opening/closing just like everyone else!

I followed the troubleshooting tutorial and here's what I found:

I tested continuity among all the pins at the CVM. 9/18, 8/17, 7/16 all make a beep. The rest of the tests from the guide show a number in the 400s, except for 13/14. I'm assuming that means there's no continuity between 13/14 (Cowl Unlocked Sensor). I tested with the top half open - not sure if this matters.

I cut open the harness in the top, just above the drivers side window, expecting to see a broken wire or two where most people have resolved this issue. My Green/White (13) and Brown/Yellow (14) look fine - they aren't broken.

Do you think 13 and/or 14 are broken somewhere else? If so, where do you think another breakage point might be?

Do you think it's possible 13 and/or 14 are broken in that spot but the break is inside the wire itself (not visible)?

Do you think this means the Cowl Unlocked Sensor (S145) is broken?

I was thinking of running a wire from the CVM number 13 and/or 14 and splicing it into the harness past the last bend to the same wire. Presumably, if it's just a wire that's broken, the top would work after bypassing the broken wire. Just don't want to splice wires without getting some feedback first.

THANKS!
4BUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
You could remove the cover on the latches to test each wire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
4BUCK

Could you expand on that? What latches? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
You could remove the cover on the latches to test each wire.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BUCK View Post
Could you expand on that? What latches? Thanks.
The cowl latches that the wires go to.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
4BUCK

From what I've read, it's difficult to remove the cowl trim to expose the Hall Sensor.

So, as a first resort, I'm going to run a "jumper" wire straight from the CVM pins 13 and 14 all the way past the last bend in the top - as far toward the windshield as possible - and see if it's just the wires that are broken.

I'll update with results...
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
4BUCK

Fixed!

I chose to run a jumper wire from just past the CVM to just past the last bend in the top nearest the windshield. I randomly started with wire 13 and low and behold, it worked! This meant wire 13 was broken. Not wanting to run a wire the full length of the harness, I tried removing a 6" section of wire 13 at the last bend in the top near the windshield (where most people's convertible top harness's break), but it didn't work. This meant that my wire 13 had broken somewhere else. When trying to put the top up, it would stop just after the top would start to come out of the trunk. So, I figured the break was near the trunk - impossible for me to splice at that location, just too tight and dark.

I ended up running a new wire from the last bend in the top nearest the windshield, all the way along the harness, and splice it back into wire 13 just a couple inches past the CVM. The challenge was running the wire without it getting in the way of the top's operation. In the C-pillar, behind the dog flaps, the harness disappears into the hinge. I couldn't run my wire exactly the same as the harness because of this. Once I got to the hinge, I had to run it a different route for a few inches and ultimately back to the harness and then into the rear seat. My concern was the new wire getting in the way of the top's operation. Since the final stage of the top going into the trunk doesn't allow for a good view of what's going on, I made extra sure to tape the wire down so it wouldn't get in the way.

Time will tell how long the wire holds up. I really hope it doesn't get snagged, ripped, or in the way somehow. On the bright side, I now know how to fix it! All in all, I'm delighted that I fixed the problem and my top works again, but perhaps more rewarding is the fact that I finally figured out what the problem was.

Couldn't have done it without this forum.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
shift4inc

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1397999126.254578.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	554598

I had a similar problem. The break in the wires were not at the first bend in the roof near the windshield as many others have had. I had to remove a few panels and a small metal wire channel cover on the top mechanism to access the break. There was a very distinct bend in the harness just beyond the metal cover. I took a chance and cut the harness open there and low and behold a broken green and white wire.

2004 330Ci Vert
shift4inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift4inc View Post
Attachment 554598

I had a similar problem. The break in the wires were not at the first bend in the roof near the windshield as many others have had. I had to remove a few panels and a small metal wire channel cover on the top mechanism to access the break. There was a very distinct bend in the harness just beyond the metal cover. I took a chance and cut the harness open there and low and behold a broken green and white wire.

2004 330Ci Vert
Double check you left enough slack for the hydraulic lines. Your lines look in good shape, yet if you moved them slightly while reinstalling the metal cover then you risk having the metal cover pinch the hydraulic lines if there's not enough slack.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
shift4inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Double check you left enough slack for the hydraulic lines. Your lines look in good shape, yet if you moved them slightly while reinstalling the metal cover then you risk having the metal cover pinch the hydraulic lines if there's not enough slack.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

I will, thanks for the tip!

2004 330Ci Vert
shift4inc is offline   Reply With Quote