E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #41
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
that build up of welded metal they did in those pictures is exponentially better than the Mason bar IMO. You can definitely rest easier knowing a shop like Piper did the job, they know their $hit...

Nice job!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenheim View Post
They actually have their own design (which is much like the mason bar) in their track car. The main thing I didnt like about it was the lack of contact points on the thin sheet metal. That and the mason bar cuts off quite a bit of room in the already small trunk hah

They were extremely cool about my design. I showed them what I liked and why I liked it and asked for feedback on the design, and they liked it as well. They gave me some advice on how to make it just a bit strong. They incorporated they're own knowledge of this sort of thing while still sticking mostly to my design. Ill take some pics of it today since I have the call back.
So the rear floor is kind of like 2 skins in that area, a bottom skin which is where the rear subframe bolt receiving threads are and an upper skin. From what I can tell in the pictures, it looks like mainly the upper skin/trunk skin is being reinforced. But yeah, based on the types of failures you had, I agree that the structure you had built is better than the Mason bar.

Quote:
man, they took a video of the trunk floor and how much it flexed when it was under load before they started working on it. the cracks on the frame rails flexed so much down that you could literally almost put two fists through it. I asked them to upload it to youtube, so I'll see if they do and try to find it.
I'm interested in seeing it!

How does the car feel now?

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 02-23-2013 at 11:32 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #42
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
So the rear floor is kind of like 2 skins in that area, a bottom skin which is where the rear subframe bolt receiving threads are and an upper skin. From what I can tell in the pictures, it looks like mainly the upper skin/trunk skin is being reinforced. But yeah, based on the types of failures you had, I agree that the structure you had built is better than the Mason bar.

I'm interested in seeing it!

How does the car feel now?
Car feels new. Much better. just a very faint tap when shifting hard, nothing close to what it use to be.

As for the brace, if you look at the one that isnt complete (with only half of the brace complete) you can see two studs. Those are directly mounted to the mounting points of the subframe....so they're in direct contact with it.
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #43
Eisenheim

Here's the end product. still have to make some slight modifications the carpeting panels on the side, and the trunk floor matte
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130223125702705.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	492068   Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130223125708944.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	492069   Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130223125719779.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	492070  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #44
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
I see. Thanks for the update. Here's a thread I came across discussing various reinforcement options other than just plates, 02PRUV offers a similar solution as yours and has detailed pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=909256

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 02-23-2013 at 04:44 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #45
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
wow you're a good man for having faith in this car. I would have freaked out and ditched her i've always been nervous abt this issue...thank god i haven't had to worry abt this as much for my vert, but still had this thoroughly inspected at a BMW dealer by the foreman before buying and again when getting the I2 done a year later.

How could you not feel/hear something terribly wrong when test driving; didn't you test drive other similar used cars before picking this one?

Last edited by fayraree; 02-24-2013 at 04:29 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #46
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
wow you're a good man for having faith in this car. I would have freaked out and ditched her i've always been nervous abt this issue...thank god i haven't had to worry abt this as much for my vert, but still had this thoroughly inspected at a BMW dealer by the foreman before buying and again when getting the I2 done a year later.

How could you not feel/hear something terribly wrong when test driving; didn't you test drive other similar used cars before picking this one?
I couldn't really tell because my buddies M3 did the same thing. So I figured it was bad bushing....that was the mistake lol. Oh yes, the bushings were bad, aswell as the entire rear of the car.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #47
yanksfan e46

My Ride: 04 M3
Hey man, i believe i spotted u on the base by the youth center.. That was me who waved in the blacked out ///M.. Ur car looks great!

"It doesn't guarantee you a world championship. If you had a phenomenal football team and spent $200 [million], you could have a dynasty. In baseball, any team can beat any team on any given day. That's what makes baseball so great." GO YANKEES!!!!

I HAVE OEM STUFF FOR SALE PM ME!!!!!
yanksfan e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #48
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan e46 View Post
Hey man, i believe i spotted u on the base by the youth center.. That was me who waved in the blacked out ///M.. Ur car looks great!
haha I was wondering if you'd find me on here. Yea that was me. I have some work to do to mine, the bumper is misaligned from the PO, and some small interior details. Yours looked pretty slick all blacked out!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #49
yanksfan e46

My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
haha I was wondering if you'd find me on here. Yea that was me. I have some work to do to mine, the bumper is misaligned from the PO, and some small interior details. Yours looked pretty slick all blacked out!
Thanks man. If u need help with anything, let me know..

Yea u should come up with me to cars and coffee in great falls, va sometime.. Some amazing cars..

"It doesn't guarantee you a world championship. If you had a phenomenal football team and spent $200 [million], you could have a dynasty. In baseball, any team can beat any team on any given day. That's what makes baseball so great." GO YANKEES!!!!

I HAVE OEM STUFF FOR SALE PM ME!!!!!
yanksfan e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #50
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan e46 View Post
Thanks man. If u need help with anything, let me know..

Yea u should come up with me to cars and coffee in great falls, va sometime.. Some amazing cars..
Well, if you have ever carbon wrapped anything you might be of some help in the near future lol. I'm thinkin about doing that to all the pillars in the car since the cloth is pretty much shot on them. Next time you go up to Cars and Coffee let me know. I've been hearing cool things and really wanna see some exotics
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #51
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
I'd be up for a group drive to cars and coffee too. I'm not taking her out of the garage until it warms up a lot more though.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #52
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Scary but relieved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post

I read these types of threads at night and it scares the $#!% out of me. You are saying the rear subrame is not as much of an issue for verts though? Is this due to the added stiffening to accommodate the lack of a roof?

If yes, could one fix for sedan/coupe guys be using the brace from a vert?
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #53
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter94 View Post
I read these types of threads at night and it scares the $#!% out of me. You are saying the rear subrame is not as much of an issue for verts though? Is this due to the added stiffening to accommodate the lack of a roof?

If yes, could one fix for sedan/coupe guys be using the brace from a vert?
What I was under the imression of was that, the early models until 2002.5-2003 were notorious for the weak subframe. Granted the subframe is weak no matter what year, the early models were the worst. If I were you, I would do the TMS kit (or similar) and have a brace made in the trunk. it'll be a little pricey, but its way more cheap than paying over 4k to REPAIR and REINFORCE, than reinforce alone. Or just drive like a grandma, but for me, I bought an M3 to drive it like an M3, not just to look good.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #54
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Hey man! PY in MD besides me? You deserve a high five. How much did you pay to have the subframe done? And where? If you don't mind me asking.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #55
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Second Eisenheim, I had excessive damage to my E46 subframe (see picture). It cost a little extra to fix mine due to so much damage but in the end it was under $2500 I believe to get it all fixed up and reinforced with the TMS kit. ($149 for kit I think). Stealership wanted over $5k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subframe.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	495671  
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | WTB: Black Birch! |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD

Last edited by jdny516; 03-15-2013 at 09:42 AM.
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #56
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Hey man! PY in MD besides me? You deserve a high five. How much did you pay to have the subframe done? And where? If you don't mind me asking.
haha yea, I'm in MD. Well...it's a little difficult to answer the question of the reinforcement, since I had WAY more done than just the kit. But, Piper Motorsports quoted me $1640 (for the kit to be done, and minor cracks to be welded up), that's including all the materials, and alignment. They charge $95 an hour (amazing for this area, atleast that Ive found) and $100 if you supply the parts. But, since mine was more of a "bringing the car back to life" type of surgery, it ran me about 42 hours of labour lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #57
ChrisRedmon

Quote:
haha yea, I'm in MD. Well...it's a little difficult to answer the question of the reinforcement, since I had WAY more done than just the kit. But, Piper Motorsports quoted me $1640 (for the kit to be done, and minor cracks to be welded up), that's including all the materials, and alignment. They charge $95 an hour (amazing for this area, atleast that Ive found) and $100 if you supply the parts. But, since mine was more of a "bringing the car back to life" type of surgery, it ran me about 42 hours of labour lol.
Yikes, i have two hairline cracks. Which im sure will turn out to be much worse when i actually rip it all apart considering i cant see every nook and cranny. Where in MD are you man? I hope to see you on the road sometime!
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #58
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Yikes, i have two hairline cracks. Which im sure will turn out to be much worse when i actually rip it all apart considering i cant see every nook and cranny. Where in MD are you man? I hope to see you on the road sometime!
Do you know where Andrews AFB is? about 15 minutes east of Alexandria off of exit 9.

You should definately get it checked out if you can. Just a word of advice so you wont have to be in my shoes. I would have gladly paid the $16**- $22** to just reinforce, than have to repair it all too and pay double that lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #59
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
It was expensive, but RRT in Dulles, VA did great work (as always)

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #60
ChrisRedmon

Quote:
Do you know where Andrews AFB is? about 15 minutes east of Alexandria off of exit 9.

You should definately get it checked out if you can. Just a word of advice so you wont have to be in my shoes. I would have gladly paid the $16**- $22** to just reinforce, than have to repair it all too and pay double that lol.
Yea i know where that is. Im right in Annapolis. Did you replace all of the associated bushings? I.E subframe, diff (front and back with the cover) ect ect.