E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
das9125

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
Unhappy

46smg, what were your symptoms?

Ok guys, update:

We have checked all of the following and everything is working as it should.

- Ignition switch
- Starter
- EWS
- Battery
- Key
- Battery cables
- Hydraulic fluid level

Does anyone think that my symptoms are SMG related? Could it be the actuator or the pump itself? Remember, that once the car does turn on the car works perfectly, no missed gears or noise, delay, etc.
I really don't want to order thousands$ in SMG parts and have the problem remain. But I am practically out of options.

2006 ZCP M3 SMG, Silver Grey - Imola Red

Last edited by das9125; 02-27-2013 at 10:25 AM.
das9125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3

Honestly, I didn't have any symptoms. My car drove normal, didn't miss any gears, I could hear the pump working when I unlocked the doors, I replaced the salmon relay once. But, the smg light was appearing often. I didn't want to risk it, so I gave in and took it to the dealership. I gave them $3000 and they gave me a new pump. Yes...Ouch! But the light has not come on since, and my car has been running fine. I hope it's not your pump. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good Luck
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
lsbmatt

My Ride: 2002 vert m3 lsb smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by das9125 View Post

Ok guys, update:

We have checked all of the following and everything is working as it should.

- Ignition switch
- Starter
- EWS
- Battery
- Key
- Battery cables
- Hydraulic fluid level

Does anyone think that my symptoms are SMG related? Could it be the actuator or the pump itself? Remember, that once the car does turn on the car works perfectly, no missed gears or noise, delay, etc.
I really don't want to order thousands$ in SMG parts and have the problem remain. But I am practically out of options.

Once your car starts acting up again - Probably a long shot, but once you start your car, of course its in 0/neutral, OK now toggle the DSC button, let it go on, wait 30 seconds then press the button again. Try shifting when its on then off, both ways after toggling it.

Have you unhooked your power to your battery for 30 minutes then plug it back in?

Last edited by lsbmatt; 02-27-2013 at 08:32 PM.
lsbmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
Ballerbrian4u

My Ride: 2004 BMW m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3driv3r View Post
Smg pump? They overheat and that's why they fail, it's hit and miss, I have a 140k mile car with the original pump, track and daily, I've also seen low mile cars go! Maybe you got a bad pump, they have a recall check your local dealer to see if any chance of coverage good luck! Lots of ???? But I still love my smg!!
There's a recall for our cars?
Ballerbrian4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
das9125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbmatt View Post
Once your car starts acting up again - Probably a long shot, but once you start your car, of course its in 0/neutral, OK now toggle the DSC button, let it go on, wait 30 seconds then press the button again. Try shifting when its on then off, both ways after toggling it.

Have you unhooked your power to your battery for 30 minutes then plug it back in?
Will try this Matt. Let you know.

My love for the M3 is seriously struck

Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
das9125

Unhappy

Guys

We are still at it, cannot find the fault. We are now using the electrical diagrams on the bentley manual to identify the signals and possibly try to identify the problem.

Last night the car really did not want to start for a while. We could start it from a direct cable to the starter but that's it.

Below are some of the screens from the computer connected to the car.
Software is in spanish, so I can translate anything you do not understand.
We ran a purge of air for the hydraulic system, like a 30 min process that finished correctly. No luck

Also attached is a video of what the car does when I try to turn it on.

Very specifically, when the car does not want to turn on, if I send the shifter into gear, it will sound like it is engaging gear, but the dash will still show N.

In this video I open the switch and try to crank. No go. Then move the shifter into 1st and that's when N blinks, will not show 1 on the dash. Back to N. Close the switch, try again. All the time, the dash shows N.

And some pics of my car. Only 28k miles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9231767...7632542261046/

Last edited by das9125; 02-28-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
Mike@speedkraft

My Ride: e46 M3 Convertible
das9125,

Were you able to find the problem? I am having the exact same problem with my wife's 2005 M3.

Mike
Mike@speedkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #28
mango79

My Ride: E46
Hello das , did you find the problem please share the solution bc I have similar problem too
mango79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #29
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
Have you tried looking in to the clutch actuator or the gear position sensor
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
Mike@speedkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent ///M View Post
Have you tried looking in to the clutch actuator or the gear position sensor
I have not looked into either of those. Will these sensors fail when hot? I think the problem is something heat related. I can start and shut off the car and restart it over and over as long as it's not warmed up yet. If I go for a short trip and the car is able to warm up I cannot restart it after shutting it off. Once the car sits for 40 min to an hour it will start. Sometimes the SMG light will come on after it starts. Once the car sits for several hours or overnight the SMG light will go out.

Mike
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
kiwami

My Ride: 04 ///M3 SMG
You can see the SMG gear light is on. So there most be something wrong on the transmission side. Bad pump, bad accumulator, low pressure, bad gear actuator bad gear position sensor or broken electrical wire! Can you shift it into 1st gear and get a solid 1 ?

Last edited by kiwami; 03-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.
kiwami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #32
Mike@speedkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwami View Post
You can see the SMG gear light is on. So there most be something wrong on the transmission side. Bad pump, bad accumulator, low pressure, bad gear actuator bad gear position sensor or broken electrical wire! Can you shift it into 1st gear and get a solid 1 ?
When the car actually does start after about 45 min and the SMG light is on everything works perfectly fine. I can shift into all the gears without any issues. If the car sits for several hours or overnight the SMG light goes out and everything works great until you shut the car off for a few minutes and try to to restart it. When the car won't start I cannot get a solid 1 if I put it in gear, it remains in N.

Sure seems to me that something gets hot and fails not allowing me to start it. Once it cools off everything is fine.

Mike
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
kiwami

My Ride: 04 ///M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@speedkraft View Post
When the car actually does start after about 45 min and the SMG light is on everything works perfectly fine. I can shift into all the gears without any issues. If the car sits for several hours or overnight the SMG light goes out and everything works great until you shut the car off for a few minutes and try to to restart it. When the car won't start I cannot get a solid 1 if I put it in gear, it remains in N.

Sure seems to me that something gets hot and fails not allowing me to start it. Once it cools off everything is fine.

Mike
After turning it off & trying to restart it do you hear the pump turn on?

And when the SMG gear light is on. Which error code do you get?
kiwami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #34
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
Have you tried the temp sensor resistor fix yet
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #35
Mike@speedkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwami View Post
After turning it off & trying to restart it do you hear the pump turn on?

And when the SMG gear light is on. Which error code do you get?
Yes, the pump turns on.

I just ordered a scan tool so I can read the codes.