E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
bimmerman11

My Ride: 2005 330Xi
Send a message via AIM to bimmerman11
Which D2S bulbs to get?

It looks like the "best" xenon bulbs for our projectors are the Osram 5000K CBIs. Every "expert" on other forums swears by them.

I wanted to hear from my fellow fanatics. What bulbs are you currently running? I'm trying to find authentic Philips bulbs that aren't $185/pair. But there are so many different versions of the Philips bulbs. I've been reading about the Philips SVS. I've also heard about Philips CM- but I guess they're very rare.

I'm looking for good light output with either a pure white/or slight blue hue to the bulbs.

I currently have the 6000K Morimotos but I think they're not functioning correctly. My driver's side light turns off sometimes when I hit a bump. I've also had problems with the Morimotos on my X5 so I'm thinking I need to upgrade my bulbs.

No need to mention any ebay/China crap you may be running. Not interested.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bimmerman11; 03-11-2013 at 07:01 PM.
bimmerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Read this for a start.

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974771

I had Philips 85122+ bulbs which are $95 new for the pair at TRS. The only Philips bulbs more expensive are their new 5000k ones which are currently $220+ and very hard to get in Europe or 6000k which are $250+.

I now have the Osram CBI bulbs ($185 shipped from TRS), honestly worth every. single. penny. I love them, they are very bright and look great with a white color. (see sig)
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
bimmerman11

That's great info Jake. I was wondering which bulbs you were using in your sig. They look really bright. Just curious, do they have any kind of a slight blue hue to them?

Oh yeah, I just ordered the CBIs last night. I have everything ready for Caesar at lightwerkz to upgrade my projector lenses, ballasts, and igniters. Can't wait!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Well the philips and cbi's do start up as blueish but them warm up to their proper temps. The cbi's are pure white.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Teraxx

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I now have the Osram CBI bulbs ($185 shipped from TRS), honestly worth every. single. penny. I love them, they are very bright and look great with a white color. (see sig)
Hey Solidjake, I just got these 5K bulbs installed today based on your recommendation (as well as others) on E46Fanatics and ordered from Retrofit Source. So psyched to go for a night drive tonight and report my results.

(Previous owner had an OEM bulb in one headlamp and a legit Phillips replacement in the other, but they were mismatched in color and intensity so it drove me crazy, though it took me a few months to notice it ;-)

PS: Hey bimmerman! Those wheels you sold me held up great all winter and I put new shoes on her for the snow, which we didn't get much of. Swapped to some 18 inch VMRs for summer, though!

Last edited by Teraxx; 07-12-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Teraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
bimmerman11

Teraxx- I'm glad you got some good use out of the wheels. You're gonna love the CBIs.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraxx View Post
Hey Solidjake, I just got these 5K bulbs installed today based on your recommendation (as well as others) on E46Fanatics and ordered from Retrofit Source. So psyched to go for a night drive tonight and report my results.

(Previous owner had an OEM bulb in one headlamp and a legit Phillips replacement in the other, but they were mismatched in color and intensity so it drove me crazy, though it took me a few months to notice it ;-)

PS: Hey bimmerman! Those wheels you sold me held up great all winter and I put new shoes on her for the snow, which we didn't get much of. Swapped to some 18 inch VMRs for summer, though!
Awesome! They need some good amount of time to burn in but they will be white. Every time I turn on my lights in the morning it still puts a smirk on my face
Old 07-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
bimmerman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Awesome! They need some good amount of time to burn in but they will be white. Every time I turn on my lights in the morning it still puts a smirk on my face
I feel the same exact way !!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Teraxx

I took her for a drive last night and holy mackerel what a difference from what I had before!! I can see so much more clearly now. Yes, they fire up a coolish blue / kind of white initially...curious to see how they look when fully white (post-burn-in time). Next task up: Replacing white bulbs to stealth amber in my clear side markers/front + rear turn markers. A cop directing traffic told/warned me I needed amber turn signal bulbs in NY state and the prev. owner had put the white ones in :-(

Last edited by Teraxx; 07-13-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Just put in the regular amber bulbs. Egg-yolk look ftw!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Teraxx

Omg, never!

Last edited by Teraxx; 07-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

whatever man