E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #41
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBMW View Post
This is a cool thread guys. I work bees for my church pastor in orwell, vt. Lots of fun, very cool process
nice! right by fort Ticonderoga!

love the focus on local products in vt. was just in burlington presenting at a conference and am working on a project in cornwall. my aunt and uncle live on lake dunmore near middlebury and he has bees there and collects sap to make maple syrup.

agree on the maple syrup versus honey. i HATE getting stung. don't usually wear gloves and get stung on the hands a few times and look like the guy with the big hand in the foo fighters music video. honey is a lot of work, but it's a hobby. very few people make money off of honey.

Last edited by 217Bimmer; 03-13-2013 at 11:43 AM.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #42
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet

I have no interest in keeping bees but i'd LOVE to order one of these just to see the face of the mailman when he delivers it and my wifes reaction when she opens the door..
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #43
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
nice! right by fort Ticonderoga!

love the focus on local products in vt. was just in burlington presenting at a conference and am working on a project in cornwall. my aunt and uncle live on lake dunmore near middlebury and he has bees there and collects sap to make maple syrup.

agree on the maple syrup versus honey. i HATE getting stung. don't usually wear gloves and get stung on the hands a few times and look like the guy with the big hand in the foo fighters music video. honey is a lot of work, but it's a hobby. very few people make money off of honey.
One of our friends started keeping bees last year. He has brought us honey several times. It's really quite delicious. It doesn't taste like honey from the store--I'm not sure how to describe it.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #44
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Prophet View Post

I have no interest in keeping bees but i'd LOVE to order one of these just to see the face of the mailman when he delivers it and my wifes reaction when she opens the door..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
One of our friends started keeping bees last year. He has brought us honey several times. It's really quite delicious. It doesn't taste like honey from the store--I'm not sure how to describe it.
Maybe store bought honey has preservatives?

Manuka honey from New Zealand is suppose to have some excellent health properties.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
^^ This guy knows his stuff. My dad kept bees when I was little and forced me to wear the f'n suit and go deal with the bees. I hate bees, well, they don't really bother me, I guess I just hated the honey making process. Super amounts of work to get some honey and they used to give some away as gifts, but honestly, how much honey can one person consume? Not really worth the time and effort in my honest opinion unless you are bored and are looking for something to do. Got one inside my mesh helmet once, that was fun, like a cage around your face with a rat in it. Had to smash it against my neck to kill it but it still stung me back there. My dad used to go at the hives with bare hands so they would sting him there and he always claimed it helped with his arthritis. Sometimes he had hundreds of stingers, and you know that you need to carve out the honey bee stinger because their ass rips off with it, so that musta been fun for my mom. F beekeeping!

Tap your maple trees now and make some syrup, much easier and less expensive and more rewarding.
Thanks for the laugh today.....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #46
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post

Maybe store bought honey has preservatives?

Manuka honey from New Zealand is suppose to have some excellent health properties.
I'm not sure it's preservatives (although it may be something else). But it's just a different taste. IIRC, honey doesn't ever spoil. I remember reading somewhere that honeycombs found in Egyptian tombs were actually still perfectly edible.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #47
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
Quote:
I'm not sure it's preservatives (although it may be something else). But it's just a different taste. IIRC, honey doesn't ever spoil. I remember reading somewhere that honeycombs found in Egyptian tombs were actually still perfectly edible.
i'm pretty sure the honey changes based on the pollen the bees collected.
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Honey is naturally preserved, not sure why, probably due to the sugar content, but if you leave sugar water out in the open for a long time it will eventually mold (had this happen with an xmas tree once when a buddy of mine thought he read somewhere that you can add sugar to the xmas tree water and it will make it last longer. I cannot remotely describe how f'n foul that odor was and how long it took us to figure out it was the xmas tree water! SO NASTY.) So perhaps it is the fact that honey is basically 100% sugar.. it will crystallize so it goes from liquid to solid and then can last for years. To get it back to normal form again all you need to do is put the jar into some boiling water for awhile and be amazed at how it looks like honey again in a few minutes!

The taste and color of the honey is directly related to the trees or flowers where they get their pollen from. Tupelo Honey is very very good as is Orange Blossom honey.. mmmm.

EDIT: AHhh, just read that honey lasts forever as there is no moisture and moisture is what bacteria needs to reproduce and survive. Explains why the sugar water rotted fast!

Last edited by trizzuth; 03-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #49
217Bimmer

Quote:
the honey at the store, like blended scotch, is graded and blended to have a consistent flavor and color. sometimes local honey will label what the source is to give an idea of the flavor. lots of wildflower and soybean honey here in illinois. if you're near orchards, then you have have fruit tree nectar. time of the season makes a difference and what is blooming too.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Prophet View Post
i'm pretty sure the honey changes based on the pollen the bees collected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
the honey at the store, like blended scotch, is graded and blended to have a consistent flavor and color. sometimes local honey will label what the source is to give an idea of the flavor. lots of wildflower and soybean honey here in illinois. if you're near orchards, then you have have fruit tree nectar. time of the season makes a difference and what is blooming too.
You're both undoubtedly correct. I'm just not good at describing how the tastes differ.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #51
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
ITT lots of information I did not know about honey. Me gusta

Edit: also learned that bees are communists http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=975913

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash

Last edited by Fergo; 03-13-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #52
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
My town has no ordinances against bee keeping... now to see if the neighbors have any reservations that need to be ignored.

I discovered that there is a bee keepers club in my county too!

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
My town has no ordinances against bee keeping... now to see if the neighbors have any reservations that need to be ignored.

I discovered that there is a bee keepers club in my county too!

you might search online how to best approach neighbors about having bees. odds are when someone says they want to have bees, this is what people picture

when in reality it is

Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #54
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Seems like buying local honey is a much more cost effective way to get these supposed benefits.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #55
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
This could be a great opener at a bar...

Q: So what are your hobbies?
A: I am a bee keeper
Q: Put your dick in me?
A: Let's do it.

Last edited by ImPulSe; 03-15-2013 at 03:17 PM.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Seems like buying local honey is a much more cost effective way to get these supposed benefits.
This is true of almost any cultivation-based hobby. Gardening isn't cost effective if you have a good farmers market in your area either. It's got to be something you enjoy for its own sake.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #57
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
This could be a great opener at a bar...

Q: So what are your hobbies?
A: I am a bee keeper
Q: Really? Interesting.
Being cool and nonchalant, sip drink and reply: Wanna taste my honey stick?
A: Let's do it.
fixed.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #58
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
fixed.
http://thedamienzone.com/2011/03/28/...y-tax-scammer/

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #59
joeski3d

I had no idea keeping bees counted towards labeling a residence as a farm. Interesting.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #60
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Joe, Poisonous snakes are much easier to care for if you can attract local mice and voles to their lair. Also good for theft prevention if you wrap a few taxidermied snakes on your front gate.

How about instead of a bee hive something a little more suburban like sandbox or swingset?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote