E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if you worked for me as an engineer, i would fire you in no time. wtf is this ****?!!
Rough! Maybe he's not a mechanical engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post

k2pilot that looks really cool, but I don't quite understand how it works. Is that just a section view? What's the angled piece at the bottom?
Yeah it's a section view. You said you wanted the wire to come in at an angle so I angled the feed tube.

The easy thing about the design is that much like what Scott is suggesting, you could have the drive motor from the blade timed to the wire feeding rate, it would work pretty much exactly like a camshaft, just replace a valve with these little guillotines and you'd have all the wires cut you need.

There's a million other ways to achieve this goal, and this one is by no means the best, just what came to mind.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
New idea:

A rotating blade that sits as close to the plane the wire exits as possible. It would spin and shear the wire as it came out and it would be trivial to gear it to the same motor feeding the wire so they both run at the same speed.
You'd need to maintain tension on both ends of the wire in order for this to work otherwise the spinning blade just pushes the wire to the side.

That's only if OP has thin wire, I'm sure heavier gauge wire would be just fine with this method but it would be slow.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if you worked for me as an engineer, i would fire you in no time. wtf is this ****?!!
Cause of confidentiality right?

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
The way I'd do it is to first of all use a double edge blade. They cut much better and don't leave the squeeze mark of single edge blades.

Second, how thick is the wire? Are we talking 58AWG (yes I have a machine that cuts this stuff at work even though it breaks if you look at it wrong) or 00AWG?

Third, use a cut bushing instead of a plate. I'll see if I can draw something up quick but the gist is use an EDM'ed slot for the blade to travel through. If you get the GEM razor blades, they are pretty good in terms of dimension accuracy in thickness, you can EDM a slot that's 0.001" wider than the blade and use that as your guide. This way, you aren't dulling your blade as it grinds on the surface and you aren't wearing your bushing by grinding a blade on it.

Fourth, use a short stroke pneumatic actuator to drive the blade forward and back. That should have no problem actuating at whatever speed you want. We have wire and tube cutters with this method that cut thousands of parts a day, all day, every day. Works great and has minimal maintenance.

Let me know if there's anything in detail I can help with. I have done a lot of work on wire cutting haha.
Interesting advice. What do you mean by a double edge blade? Like a safety razor blade? The wire I'm cutting is about 24-26AWG so it's on the small side but clearly not 58AWG

I can't quite visualize the cut bushing. Do you have any pictures of this stuff?

I'll definitely look into a short stroke pancake cylinder or something. I was trying to keep noise to a minimum since the other pneumatic machines in the area are very loud. The whole camshaft idea is great, but do I use a stepper and actuate it incrementally, or do I operate it continuously and use sensors to tell what position it's in. This whole part of the machine is pretty open ended at this point.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
and believe it or not those little xacto blades are very sharp and all the blades are very similar which is important when they're putting in 1-2 new blades every day.
They're sharp and dull very quickly

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #26
kuksul08

Do you have a better suggestion?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
SamDoe1

Quote:
Interesting advice. What do you mean by a double edge blade? Like a safety razor blade? The wire I'm cutting is about 24-26AWG so it's on the small side but clearly not 58AWG

I can't quite visualize the cut bushing. Do you have any pictures of this stuff?

I'll definitely look into a short stroke pancake cylinder or something. I was trying to keep noise to a minimum since the other pneumatic machines in the area are very loud. The whole camshaft idea is great, but do I use a stepper and actuate it incrementally, or do I operate it continuously and use sensors to tell what position it's in. This whole part of the machine is pretty open ended at this point.
While you can use double edge like a safety razor just fine (careful not to cut yourself) what I really meant was double bevel, sorry. Here's a picture:

As far as the bushing goes, here's a quick MS Paint I cooked up. The idea is that you support the wire on both sides as you cut across. The blade should be held at an angle so as to slice rather than crush. This will give you a better cut and made the blade last much longer. Obviously size the through hole for the wire according to it's size.

What are you going to be using to measure the length of the cut? Encoder wheel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushing.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	495805  

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-16-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
kuksul08

My concern with that is it would tend to smear the ends rather than cutting/shearing nicely. Leaving the chunk looking like this.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
SamDoe1

^ If your blade is kept sharp and cutting at an angle, you won't get those end defects like you drew up. The key is to support at both ends with as small a gap as possible and cut with a slice instead of a smash.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
This is making me laugh

if you have to do it 4 times a second, thousands of times a day on an industrial scale, where on earth did the idea of an xacto blade holding up 500, 1000, 4000 precise /sharp cuts come up.

That's my first through, Have you ever used a razor blade? Think about how fast a shaving blade dulls cutting the hairs on your face, this is the same principle only the hair on your face is actually metal strands, surrounded by a rubber insulator. You'll be manually changing blades all day... UNLESS you also put a sharpening stone for the blade to rub up against as it comes back up.

I'm not an engineer.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
m_guimont

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
EDM machine at work (and all others for that matter) have to dispose of the wire being used up in the machine as it cuts through the part.

When it exits the rear of the machine a set of spinning blades chops the thin wire into tiny pieces making it easier to dispose of/store.

I would imagine something like this would do the trick, just run the numbers to figure out RPM, rotor diameter, and wire feed speed.

The inserts are all replaceable as they wear as well.
m_guimont is offline   Reply With Quote