E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
kerunt

My Ride: '07 335i Coupe 6MT
2004 X5 3.0 vs 2004 530i

So it looks like my ZHP will sell this weekend (not 100%, but there's a good chance), so I've been looking around for alternatives. I've got a big dog (German Shepherd), so I absolutely need four doors, and sportiness be damned, I want an auto - not negotiable.

I don't drive much these days (about 5km round trip daily commute to transit, and another 50-100km on the weekends to take the dog hiking or what not), but do need some decent room. I also like the convenience of a tow hitch and being able to tow a few sportbikes to the track (had a hitch on the ZHP, and my 4cyl Accord before that).

So with all that in mind, I've found two local cars that I'll be looking at tomorrow.

Option 1:
2004 X5 3.0 (I do NOT want a 4.4/4.8 due to maintenance/reliability issues).
- Dark Grey
- 108km / 67miles
- Claimed great condition in/out
- No accidents
- Heated seats & wheel
- Panoramic sunroof

Option 2:
2004 530i
- Grey
- 108km / 67miles (yes, exact same mileage)
- Sun roof, heated seats
- Recently replaced alternator, battery, tires, oil service, air filter
- Don't know anything else

Both cars have identical mileage and identical "firm" prices.

I have a sneaky feeling the X5 will be better loaded, but don't know that for a fact (yet).

I test drove an '01 X5 3.0 and a loaded 2004 530i today (different cars from the ones I'll be looking at). First impressions were:
- X5 is huge inside; a tad more interior noise than I'd like; acceleration & braking aren't that great, but should be fine
- 530i wasn't as big, but still roomy, and felt more comfortable; definitely handled a lot better

The X5 will use about 30% more fuel, but has rear cargo where I can put the dog. The 530 seems more modern, comfy and economic.

Any "off-roading" I'd ever do will be easily handled by both cars, so that's not a factor.

Given what we know, which option would you lean towards? Remember, big dog is a regular passenger and comfort, convenience, and reliability are primary considerations.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
thought about a e60 touring or have you literally narrowed your choices down to just those two. what do the insurance rates look like between them, do you honestly need the "bigger" feel of the x5?

I'd vote look for an e60 touring best of both worlds and could even find one with AWD if needed, but between those I'd go x5 for the dog and cargo room. The dog could ruin the rear seats with his paw nails.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
E91 in your price range? I agree wagons would defiantly fit the bill for what your looking for.

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Azn328i

My Ride: e39 M5
Send a message via AIM to Azn328i
Two of my friends have owned the e53 X5 and both have had extensive problems with their SUV's. One was a 3.0 and one was a 4.4. From the problems they've had, I wouldn't recommend the X5.

I have three friends currently driving e60's and none of them have reliability issues. One is a 525i, one a 545i, and one is a 535i.

Based on my friends' experiences with the reliability on these cars, I would recommend the 530i.
Azn328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
kerunt

Thanks for the feedback!

If my car sells tomorrow, I want to buy a replacement ASAP. I can't sit around and hope a nice wagon turns up, although I do agree that would be ideal. These two cars sound clean and are of low mileage, so I'll likely end up buying one of the two.

Azn328ic, what kind of problems did your friend with the 3.0 X5 have?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
mcr_driver

probably the gear box and cooling issue's since it's an m54 engine mated to a crap autotragic. Although I also heard x5's in general had electrical issue's regarding less of drivetrain.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
sell you my '01 330i sport for $12,999
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Go V8 or go home.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
mcr_driver

v8's are delicious I had one with my lunch actually
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
The i6 is not more reliable than the v8 lol, common misconception

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
X5 for the dog and pimpin value

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOpower View Post

is that ur car bro

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post

is that ur car bro
I wish bro ! I'd be str8 pimpin if it was !

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
I have a 2004 X5 3.0 . . and I once had a 2007 E60 loaner for a few days.

The E60 didn't feel much bigger to me inside than my E46 325i. The X5 feels a lot roomier -probably because of more headroom. X5 has better visibility, too. The back seats of the X5 definitely feel roomier. I like the interior styling of the X5 better - which is virtually identical to my old E46. The E60 felt more plasticy. The back of the X5 isn't THAT big - so you might want to take a closer look back there to make sure your dog would be happy riding in the back. The X5 feels a bit more like a luxury cruiser compared to the E60 - which feels more like a sporty small non-luxury sedan.

The E60 drove nicer as far as cornering goes. But the X5 is still pretty nice to drive. It feels extremely solid - like you're driving a solid block of steel that just happens to corner nicely and begs to cruise at 80 mph. The X5 has fantastic brakes - the best braking feel that I've experience in a car.

We've owned the X5 for a little over 5 years now. The only problems we've had is some minor electrical glitches and it burns about a quart of oil every 3 months. Oh, and one broken window regulator about a year ago that I solved with the zip tie fix. The electrical glitches is that every few weeks it will randomly start telling us to check brake lights/side lights/turn lights . . or tell us that the brake pads need replacement - when everything is fine.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Oh, and the i6 3.0 seems to be plenty of power for a luxury cruiser. I don't ever wish for more power or think "man, I wish I bought a V8". If I was driving the E60, I would probably be tempted to go for more power. We get about 21 mpg average with the X5. I once did a 2.5 hr roadtrip and averaged 25 mpg by keeping cruise control on . . but that's the best mileage I'll ever see. All city driving is like 17-19 mpg.

Last edited by brew; 03-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert

/thread
Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #16
mcr_driver

Yes because he has over 80k for an rs6...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
kerunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sell you my '01 330i sport for $12,999
There are about a dozen of those listed locally for $7-8k. Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
The i6 is not more reliable than the v8 lol, common misconception
I guess the five independent BMW mechanics I've spoken to (with a combined experience likely pushing 70-80 years of BMW work) don't know anything at all. I'll make sure to tell them to read up on forums and get edumakated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOpower View Post
I got too much pimpin cred already, bro. Sometimes I forget to turn the swag off at night and wake up covered in bitches. That can be hard to wash off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
I have a 2004 X5 3.0 . . and I once had a 2007 E60 loaner for a few days.

The E60 didn't feel much bigger to me inside than my E46 325i. The X5 feels a lot roomier -probably because of more headroom. X5 has better visibility, too. The back seats of the X5 definitely feel roomier. I like the interior styling of the X5 better - which is virtually identical to my old E46. The E60 felt more plasticy. The back of the X5 isn't THAT big - so you might want to take a closer look back there to make sure your dog would be happy riding in the back. The X5 feels a bit more like a luxury cruiser compared to the E60 - which feels more like a sporty small non-luxury sedan.

The E60 drove nicer as far as cornering goes. But the X5 is still pretty nice to drive. It feels extremely solid - like you're driving a solid block of steel that just happens to corner nicely and begs to cruise at 80 mph. The X5 has fantastic brakes - the best braking feel that I've experience in a car.

We've owned the X5 for a little over 5 years now. The only problems we've had is some minor electrical glitches and it burns about a quart of oil every 3 months. Oh, and one broken window regulator about a year ago that I solved with the zip tie fix. The electrical glitches is that every few weeks it will randomly start telling us to check brake lights/side lights/turn lights . . or tell us that the brake pads need replacement - when everything is fine.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Oh, and the i6 3.0 seems to be plenty of power for a luxury cruiser. I don't ever wish for more power or think "man, I wish I bought a V8". If I was driving the E60, I would probably be tempted to go for more power. We get about 21 mpg average with the X5. I once did a 2.5 hr roadtrip and averaged 25 mpg by keeping cruise control on . . but that's the best mileage I'll ever see. All city driving is like 17-19 mpg.
Interesting feedback, thanks. Surprised to hear you're getting such good mileage on the X5; that's what I was getting on my ZHP (just sold). I've test driven a few X5s and a few E60s and have to say I liked the E60s better overall - just seem more comfortable. That said, finding a clean one in my price range is tough. I did, however, test drive a few Mercs and have to say I really liked an '06 C230. It's not a fast car by any means, but the fit and finish was amazing, and it had that very solid German feel to it. I think that might be the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Yes because he has over 80k for an rs6...
Yup, if I had 80k to blow on a car, I wouldn't be deciding between two nine year old vehicles.

Last edited by kerunt; 03-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
kerunt is offline   Reply With Quote