E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #101
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I was able to test the Huntertown Arms Kestrel 22 suppressor yesterday. Unfortunately, my Gemtech M&P22 thread adapter has yet to arrive, so I was limited to using the semi-auto Ruger Takedown and bolt action Savage FV-SR. My FFL's range is only 20 yards, so testing was limited to that distance.

I used two types of ammo, the first was with some old Remington Subsonic 38g hollow point that I had laying around and the second was Aguila Super Extra Subsonic 38g hollow point.

I don't have a decibal meter, so sound reduction is strictly subjective. I could certainly tell a difference between suppressed and unsupressed, but I would really like to test the difference outdoors. I could not tell a difference in decibal level between the two different ammunition brands.

I noticed a drastic difference in point of impact shift between the two brands of ammunition. Even at 20 yards, the Remington Subsonic was at it's best two inches low and at it's worst, six inches low. The Aquila was dead on.

Suprisingly, both brands cycled the action of the semi-auto Takedown just fine. Once the thread adapter arrives, I'll see if they will cycle the action on the M&P. Luckily, I only have about 75 rounds of the Remington left, but I will be sure to stay away from that in the future.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #102
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Try the CCI standards. It's the only ammo that I've found that will stay consistantly sub sonic through a rifle and still function semi autos.

With pistols under a 5.5 inch barrel pretty much any bulk besides the really hot stuff will stay subsonic.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #103
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

This one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130...ead-round-nose
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #104
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Just a quick note regarding the CLEO v. Trust route in your particular situation. You won't get a sign off anymore in Jax. Rutherford and his constituents at the Beach and in PV won't do it. Your only real option is to go with the trust.
I live in Saint Johns County. Screw Jax

I'm most likely going with a trust regardless....
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #105
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
I live in Saint Johns County. Screw Jax

I'm most likely going with a trust regardless....
Me too

I think that St. Johns recently stopped signing off on them as well. You used to be able to get them there fairly easily.

Trust is the better idea anyway...I had mine done by Goldman in Jax. Apple Law Firm, University Blvd. a few blocks west of Phillips highway.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 02-19-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361325294
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #106
tailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Thats the stuff.

Good little ammo test we did a while back. It's worth to note that the camera cant pick up the exact sound difference but there was enough of a difference between all of the ammo to note. The CCI standard had the best performance and sound out of the hotter ammo (ammo that can cycle semi autos). With bolt guns there is better options like CCI quiets and ASC's. DO NOT use Sniper Sub Sonic... The bullets dont stabalize fast enough and you run the risk of baffle strikes.

Remingtons are a good cheap alternative to the CCI standards BUT you will have the occasional sonic crack with a rifle, I found this out the hard way once and alerted the neighbors to what I was doing. I use it for plinking ammo and use the CCI stuff when I need to do something sneaky and not get the cops called.

Remember, with anything under a 5.5 barrel any bulk ammo will remain sub sonic so no need to buy the expensive stuff. If you are running a rifle the only stuff that I have used that will cycle a semi auto and stay sub sonic all the time is the CCI standards.

Last edited by tailo; 02-19-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #107
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Great information, thank you. It beats having to do more ammo testing. I can't view the video at work, but I'll check it out tonight.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #108
david05111

So, have an investment opportunity in front of me and I need some opinions on whether these are good deals or not. 3 guns, all transferable full auto

Uzi 9mm full size with .22 conversion kit, 2 extra barrels, and a suppressor: $9000

HK MP5SD registered receiver gun. Non divorce-able Fleming sear/Fleming build. Come with a few mags: $19000

M16 Registered Receiver + Shrike Belt fed upper + M4-2000. I forget the build (olympic arms conversion maybe) with cheap upper. Also comes with Shrike belt fed and loads of accessories for it. Lastly comes with used M4-2000.: $14000

Thoughts on any of these?

A buddy of mine and I are considering trying to pick up all three for $35000-37000 and make a few bucks. Not sure if any of these are good deals. They all seem to be pretty good to me

Last edited by david05111; 03-16-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #109
tailo

all good deals.

Remember, even if you pay alittle but more then the market value for the "right gun" it wont be long until your investment gains enough value to make up for it.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #110
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
all good deals.

Remember, even if you pay alittle but more then the market value for the "right gun" it wont be long until your investment gains enough value to make up for it.
Yeah I'm not in love with any of them myself, but if I can make a few thousand for a year's investment, it might make sense. I wish the MP5 was something other than an SD, because then I'd strive to keep it. I have to look at all these as investments

Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #111
tailo

Look at it as a 5-10 year+ invesement. Infact, forget you have it and done sell it until you retire.

Probably buy you a new sports car or harley by then.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #112
david05111

Quote:
Look at it as a 5-10 year+ invesement. Infact, forget you have it and done sell it until you retire.

Probably buy you a new sports car or harley by then.
I wish i could honestly...that's kinda the M16 deal.

I just can't commit that much cash to something long-term like that at the moment...I might be able to do a deal for a year. Pay for them, wait 6 months to get them, take possession and re-list. Take a month or two to get a buyer and enjoy them while transferred to the new buyer and profit a few thousand. That's about the only thing that I could afford to do at the moment.

If the MP5 was a different model, I'd be inclined to try and work that out to just buy it and hold it long term, but its not really what I'm personally looking for.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #113
tailo

If you can afford to generate those kind of funds you can afford to hang on to it. It's really no different than putting money in to a IRA or any other retirement fund. Only difference is, generally speaking, its going to gain in value faster and never be worth less than the day you paid for it. Give it 10-15 years and you NEED money NOW you could always list it for 1-2k UNDER what the going market price is...have it sold in hours.... and still make a major profit.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #114
david05111

Quote:
If you can afford to generate those kind of funds you can afford to hang on to it. It's really no different than putting money in to a IRA or any other retirement fund. Only difference is, generally speaking, its going to gain in value faster and never be worth less than the day you paid for it. Give it 10-15 years and you NEED money NOW you could always list it for 1-2k UNDER what the going market price is...have it sold in hours.... and still make a major profit.
Meh, kinda. But there's a difference between a long term investment and a quick flip. I could make 15-205 on these things by doing the quickest flip on them I can. That's better than I can do in any market or fund at the moment. No reason for me to hold onto them for longer than that at this stage in my life.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #115
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

This is just me, but I would really limit the talk about flipping firearms for profit on a public message board. I know for a fact that guys here in Tampa have been questioned by the local ATF branch regarding the selling of firearms for profit without an FFL.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #116
david05111

Quote:
This is just me, but I would really limit the talk about flipping firearms for profit on a public message board. I know for a fact that guys here in Tampa have been questioned by the local ATF branch regarding the selling of firearms for profit without an FFL.
Would normally agree wholeheartedly jeff, except these really are investments and being transferred legally through the NFA branch and require background checks, etc. I think what they've really been looking for in the past are people who really are operating as an FFL by buying and selling firearms without conducting background checks or doing straw purchases for people.

These sort of situations are separate and distinct IMO. My purchasing, though for profit, is not an attempt to circumvent the law. My purchase and sale of these I don't think would constitute a situation requiring an FFL. I'm not in the business of doing so, nor am I a retailer. I'm nor really a merchant. I've thought this through a bit

Not to mention, this isn't exactly a short-term flip. It will take at least a year

Last edited by david05111; 03-17-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #117
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

So does anyone want to talk about the proprosed CLEO requirements? I know that my CLEO refuses to sign.

Last edited by Serbonze; 09-13-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #118
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
What is it again? Forces the CLEO to sign like it's shall issue, or gets rid of it entirely?

Either way it's a good proposal. Most police chiefs are politicians and political appointees of the city council.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #119
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
What is it again? Forces the CLEO to sign like it's shall issue, or gets rid of it entirely?

Either way it's a good proposal. Most police chiefs are politicians and political appointees of the city council.
They are extending the CLEO certificate requirement to responsible persons of a legal entity. Basically they require CLEO sign off on all forms, regardless of individual or entity but the proposed rule change does not force CLEO to sign like shall issue.

So if your CLEO refuses to sign, you are screwed.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #120
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
They are extending the CLEO certificate requirement to responsible persons of a legal entity. Basically they require CLEO sign off on all forms, regardless of individual or entity but the proposed rule change does not force CLEO to sign like shall issue.

So if your CLEO refuses to sign, you are screwed.
I thought that this was about revising the rules to say no more CLEO sign-off . . but they are extending the background checks to everyone who is named on a trust. The proposed changes have been in the works for a while. Obama spun it as "now we are going to make sure that criminals can no longer obtain a NFA weapon by using the entity loophole" - but that was never the point. Maybe I need to re-do my homework on this one, but I was pretty sure that's the real story.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote