E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
IL IN MI MN OH WI

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #1681
MinnesotaM3

My Ride: MKIV Supra / E46 M3
anyone local can tune the oem e46 m3 edu?
MinnesotaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #1682
Zaisaroni

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP
The first Cars 'n Coffee is just around the corner!
Zaisaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #1683
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Trying to help out a friend of mine. He bought some really cool software kit that does real time diagnostics and engine code resets, but does not do the airbag

- If anyone in the Northern suburbs has an airbag reset tool I can use/rent please pm me.

Last edited by Brevik; 03-13-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1684
crazy_mooh

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
Trying to help out a friend of mine. He bought some really cool software kit that does real time diagnostics and engine code resets, but does not do the airbag

- If anyone in the Northern suburbs has an airbag reset tool I can use/rent please pm me.
I have the 1.4.0 Scanner but I don't know if it reset the airbag, I never used it for reset an airbag.

2004 Hayabusa "Dragbike"

2008 GSX-R 600 "Sold"

1975 Honda CB200T "Project"

Last edited by crazy_mooh; 03-14-2013 at 11:46 AM.
crazy_mooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #1685
Ridnfly

My Ride: 01, Imola, 6MT, vert
I'm just finishing up, waiting on some shims.You can do this with some good basic engine knowledge, and some research. It's been fun and educational! I've come upon another seemingly cool dude in Mankato, that seems to really know his ****. He's part owner in Express Care there, and has been a great help. I'm buying the things I need from him cause of it. I don't know how much more or less it might cost me, but he's a small business man, and local, I'll support him. Ratana is his name. I know a few fellas from the cities have taken their M's for a valve lash adjustment.

MinnesotaM3;15230565]anyone adjust their own valves? im going to attempt to do this myself once the snow melts and all the potholes are fixed.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Ridnfly; 03-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Ridnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #1686
AlexB.

My Ride: Is not as slow
Send a message via AIM to AlexB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaurimn View Post
Snow is keeping my car from getting up a hill out of storage but I can not wait for this day to come! It's been too long
Got to get some snow shoes. I drove mine all winter! Blizzaks never let me down.
AlexB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #1687
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB. View Post
Got to get some snow shoes. I drove mine all winter! Blizzaks never let me down.
Yeah I'll probably drive my e46 next winter instead of the e30 so that'll need to happen.
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???

Last edited by jhaurimn; 03-16-2013 at 09:50 PM.
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #1688
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
Some one local should buy my 19s BBS CHs for 1500.00

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #1689
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
Quote:
Which Blizzaks do you run? (I'm running some horrible Goodyear snow tires now -- they were already on the winter wheels I bought.) I'll ride it out this year, but I'll need some snows for next winter.

I'm not looking for performance snows; probably the aggressive type (studless ice and snow, as TireRack classifies 'em).

The Continental Extreme Winter Contact look pretty good, too.

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #1690
AlexB.

My Ride: Is not as slow
Send a message via AIM to AlexB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
Which Blizzaks do you run? (I'm running some horrible Goodyear snow tires now -- they were already on the winter wheels I bought.) I'll ride it out this year, but I'll need some snows for next winter.

I'm not looking for performance snows; probably the aggressive type (studless ice and snow, as TireRack classifies 'em).

The Continental Extreme Winter Contact look pretty good, too.

The contis do look good. I've always had good luck with the blizzaks so I've stayed with them. Currently running the LM-60s and have run the LM-25s before. Can't say a bad thing about either set. Great tread ware. Great traction in deep snow and powdery light covered. Never had any issues with them at all.
AlexB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #1691
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridnfly View Post
I'm just finishing up, waiting on some shims.You can do this with some good basic engine knowledge, and some research. It's been fun and educational! I've come upon another seemingly cool dude in Mankato, that seems to really know his ****. He's part owner in Express Care there, and has been a great help. I'm buying the things I need from him cause of it. I don't know how much more or less it might cost me, but he's a small business man, and local, I'll support him. Ratana is his name. I know a few fellas from the cities have taken their M's for a valve lash adjustment.

MinnesotaM3;15230565]anyone adjust their own valves? im going to attempt to do this myself once the snow melts and all the potholes are fixed.
[/QUOTE]

We have all the shims in stock here. If you ever need them we can sell individual ones.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #1692
Shaggys

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330XI
Shaggys 2001 330xi-anoka
Shaggys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #1693
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
You should post a picture Shag

Last edited by Brevik; 03-21-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #1694
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post

We have all the shims in stock here. If you ever need them we can sell individual ones.
VERY good to know!!!!!!
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???

Last edited by jhaurimn; 03-21-2013 at 10:21 AM.
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #1695
terzinator

Quote:
The contis do look good. I've always had good luck with the blizzaks so I've stayed with them. Currently running the LM-60s and have run the LM-25s before. Can't say a bad thing about either set. Great tread ware. Great traction in deep snow and powdery light covered. Never had any issues with them at all.
My wife has Hankook i*Pikes on her Saab 9-3, and they've been fabulous; we've had them on her car for at least four years. Reasonably priced, IIRC.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #1696
///Mystery

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
My wife has Hankook i*Pikes on her Saab 9-3, and they've been fabulous; we've had them on her car for at least four years. Reasonably priced, IIRC.
Terzinator why do you want the ice/snow as compared to winter performance? Have you driven on both?

My first winter tires were ice/snow Blizzak WS series and I did not like them. They were good in deep snow but were not made for performance – they felt squishy, had very high slip angle around corners and would break traction under acceleration around 3000-4000 rpm (this was a 330ci).

Next I got a set of Blizzak LM and liked them a lot (on an M3). Great acceleration, braking and turning response, and I’ve never had any issues getting stuck. All my cars have been rwd.

After that I got a set of Dunlop Winter 3D and liked them even more (also the M3).

Then I got a 5-series and I have Michelin Pilot Alpin P4, and I like those too. The Michelin performance tires are great and lightweight. But I just got a price quote for some summer Pilot Super Sports and eeeeee they are expensive.
///Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #1697
terzinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mystery View Post
Terzinator why do you want the ice/snow as compared to winter performance? Have you driven on both?
Funny you should ask:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=976794

It's a question I asked in the above thread. (No responses yet!) I don't know what I want. I'm going back and forth on this. My wife's 9-3 handles so well in the winter with the Hankooks, but she drives it all winter long, through any weather. I don't know that I'd take the BMW out in foul weather. I have a Eurovan that's a pretty capable winter vehicle, so if it's really snowy out, I leave the E46 in the garage, and I use the Eurovan.

So, maybe I don't need ice/snow, simply because I'm selective on when I take out the BMW.

But I do like how those Hankooks work. She keeps her head while those around her lose theirs.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #1698
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Performance snow tires are better in 95% of the situations you'll drive your car in. For the five days the entire season that we have deep snow driving conditions, the performance snows will do fine. Not as good as deep snow tires but they'll be fine. The rest of the time, you want the cold compound and stiffer tread of the performance tires to help with handling, driving, and gas mileage on plowed and open roads.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #1699
///Mystery

My Ride: ///M3
Sam’s right (in my experience). I guess if you live way out in the country and have to drive on unplowed roads a lot, the ice/snow tires might make sense…but if you live in the cities, the winter performance tires will give you a better driving experience.
///Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #1700
MinnesotaM3

My Ride: MKIV Supra / E46 M3
anyone have a roof rack for their e46? like to see it in person.
MinnesotaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote