E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #81
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
have any of you guys ever had shark's fin soup or sea cucumber btw? both asian delicacies that are expensive and taste like absolutely nothing. the broth/sauce that it's traditionally cooked in tastes pretty good, but the actual ingredients themselves dont taste like anything. you could literally take the ingredient out and the dish would taste the same
Sea cucumber is disgusting. Shark fin soup is crap as well. Broth with barely any flavor (90% salt), shark meat is inedible (has the same texture as chewing on a timberland), its expensive and cruel for no reason whatsoever. At least fois gras is worth it, and it isn't NEARLY as cruel, not to mention, the entire duck gets eaten. I also tried birds nest soup, and thats a crock of crap as well. Salty broth with a mild almost mushroomy aroma....waste of money. Try it once, and forget about it.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #82
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Sea cucumber is disgusting. Shark fin soup is crap as well. Broth with barely any flavor (90% salt), shark meat is inedible (has the same texture as chewing on a timberland), its expensive and cruel for no reason whatsoever. At least fois gras is worth it, and it isn't NEARLY as cruel, not to mention, the entire duck gets eaten. I also tried birds nest soup, and thats a crock of crap as well. Salty broth with a mild almost mushroomy aroma....waste of money. Try it once, and forget about it.
i've had bird's nest soup and i thought it was pretty good, although once again, i'm not sure it was the actual "bird's nest" that made it taste good.

agree on the shark meat though; one of the worst pieces of fish i've ever had
__________________
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #83
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i've had bird's nest soup and i thought it was pretty good, although once again, i'm not sure it was the actual "bird's nest" that made it taste good.

agree on the shark meat though; one of the worst pieces of fish i've ever had
Thats my point. If I am ...

1) Going to go to a fancy place
2) Going to spend serious money
3) The animal suffered even a little bit,

it better be a damn good phenomenal dish, and those two are not. They are just clear broth with an absurdly expensive ingredient. I'd rather dump that money and eat half a lobe of fois gras, chase it with some black beluga, followed by a prime charred ribeye. Money MUCH better spent.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #84
mkodama
Registered User
 
mkodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Really don't know why.....seems like a lot of dudes are foodies around here, not to mention, knowing how to cook gets you laid WAAAAY better than a BMW...true story.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
have any of you guys ever had shark's fin soup or sea cucumber btw? both asian delicacies that are expensive and taste like absolutely nothing. the broth/sauce that it's traditionally cooked in tastes pretty good, but the actual ingredients themselves dont taste like anything. you could literally take the ingredient out and the dish would taste the same
Yeah, agreed for the most part. I think the main thing they add is a very light flavor that is unique and a lot of very interesting texture.

The sea cucumber I wouldn't consider expensive though. I've had it in Oakland Chinatown and it was pretty cheap and pretty common. The shark fin soup is definitely much more expensive and much less common.
__________________

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #85
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post



Yeah, agreed for the most part. I think the main thing they add is a very light flavor that is unique and a lot of very interesting texture.

The sea cucumber I wouldn't consider expensive though. I've had it in Oakland Chinatown and it was pretty cheap and pretty common. The shark fin soup is definitely much more expensive and much less common.
Forgot to take the cucumber out of that statement. It's definitely not expensive but god damn bro....that thing is gross.

Who's got the balls to eat durian around here?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #86
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,190
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Really don't know why.....seems like a lot of dudes are foodies around here, not to mention, knowing how to cook gets you laid WAAAAY better than a BMW...true story.
+111111111111 Chefs get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
have any of you guys ever had shark's fin soup or sea cucumber btw? both asian delicacies that are expensive and taste like absolutely nothing. the broth/sauce that it's traditionally cooked in tastes pretty good, but the actual ingredients themselves dont taste like anything. you could literally take the ingredient out and the dish would taste the same
I've had shark fin soup once from Phillippe down in Miami. The broth was good, and the shark fin was somewhat tender, however you are right, it tastes like nothing. Never again. I tried it once just to have it, but i am very against the whole shark fin thing. Makes me sick what they do with the sharks.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #87
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,190
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Who's got the balls to eat durian around here?
I would give it a go. I have to try to one up Andrew Zimmern with at least one type of food lol.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #88
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
I would give it a go. I have to try to one up Andrew Zimmern with at least one type of food lol.
The taste isnt the worst thing on the planet (I imagine a bite from a great white shark is a bit worse) but the smell....my god the smell...if you can get a bite down, thatll put some hairs on your chest.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #89
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I told my chinese friend i would like to try durian sometime. then he calls me up one night and says i have a surprise for you and comes over to my house. he had bought a durian when he was in chicago at an asian market.

good god it smelled like ****! like rotting onions is the best way i can describe it. holy hell it was so rank. the taste is not worth the stench. he was eating it by the handful. i took a few small bites while holding my nose. it's just not pleasant at all!
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #90
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
The taste isnt the worst thing on the planet (I imagine a bite from a great white shark is a bit worse) but the smell....my god the smell...if you can get a bite down, thatll put some hairs on your chest.
yea i found that too. the taste is surprisingly mediocre compared to how awful it smells.
__________________
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #91
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,190
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
The taste isnt the worst thing on the planet (I imagine a bite from a great white shark is a bit worse) but the smell....my god the smell...if you can get a bite down, thatll put some hairs on your chest.
It won't put more hair on my chest than my zinfandel or cabernet sauvignon



Opening a bottle tonight fo'sho
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #92
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
durian is like stinky cheese, horrible smell but not that bad tasting if you can get past the stench. texture on the other hand is what gets me after a few bites.
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #93
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
I had a taste of a durian smoothie one day. My buddy from south Africa made it, wasn't that bad really but I've heard the fruit is disgusting. He's the only person I've met that ate the stuff.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #94
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,758
My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
im a few days late to read the thread but oh well. ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
i've had fresh crab cakes caught and made myself, I'll stick with my statement that cooking intensifies the flavor, and that flavor is fishy compared to like I said, the majority of sushi.
Did you use fresh blue crabs? I cook thousands and thousands of crabs a week, blue crabs that are good(ie not rotten or dead when steamed) are extremely far from tasting fishy. Crabmeat is sweet tasting and delicious..not fishy at all IMO. I don't consider Blue crabs to be fishy at all and if they are something is wrong and not good. You could be talking about a different crab species though and then you might be right, but then it wouldn't be a good crab cake either


Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post

You can't argue oysters with me. I am prepared to die fighting for my passion for oysters
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Blah blah blah....you eat runny boogers. All kidding aside, more power to you brother. I tried to like them MANY times, just couldn't do it, but Im kind of glad though, they are expensive, so I can at least save some money SOMEWHERE.
haha oysters are awesome but not expensive IMO. Blue Points are great, they are probably my most popular oyster i sell and most expensive(.65cents an oyster). I love oysters, but they are definitely a love/hate relationship.. Raw Oysters, Oyster Stew and a few fried select oysters on top of a nice rib eye with Gorgonzola cheese is amazing
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #95
YGOAMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Riverside: Melbourne
Posts: 11,875
My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Sea cucumber is disgusting. Shark fin soup is crap as well. Broth with barely any flavor (90% salt), shark meat is inedible (has the same texture as chewing on a timberland), its expensive and cruel for no reason whatsoever. At least fois gras is worth it, and it isn't NEARLY as cruel, not to mention, the entire duck gets eaten. I also tried birds nest soup, and thats a crock of crap as well. Salty broth with a mild almost mushroomy aroma....waste of money. Try it once, and forget about it.
ok


__________________

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 03-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #96
Volvoguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nyc
Posts: 18
My Ride: IS300;Volvo s60T;
Well, you guys are missing the point with expensive Chinese delicacies.

The taste is not the primary factor, it's really meant to be used as a peace offering or a sign of respect.

Shark fin soup/ bird's nest is coveted for it's rarity/price.

So say you have guest over, and you take them to a dinner. It is a sign of respect to order those dishes for the table. I don't think anyone orders them due to taste.

Also Chinese new money is everywhere, and they just buy it because they have run out of things to splurge on eg: check out walnut prices, jade, real estate, gold, art paintings in China.
__________________
Volvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post

I've had shark fin soup once from Phillippe down in Miami. The broth was good, and the shark fin was somewhat tender, however you are right, it tastes like nothing. Never again. I tried it once just to have it, but i am very against the whole shark fin thing. Makes me sick what they do with the sharks.
Couldn't agree more with the poaching practices. It would be much less deplorable if they use the rest of the shark, but they slice the fins off and toss them back in the water to die. Totally fvcked up.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #98
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Couldn't agree more with the poaching practices. It would be much less deplorable if they use the rest of the shark, but they slice the fins off and toss them back in the water to die. Totally fvcked up.
Going back to Mr. Rolleyes up top...do you know why they toss the rest of it back? Because the meat tastes like crap, and no one would pay for it. You'd think that with the poverty in China they can use to meat to feed the needy, but they don't even do that. It's worthless. You can buy a shark steak in the supermarkets in the US (not all, but many carry it)...if you come across it, pick one up just to try it. Its like swordfish (which is a pretty crappy fish IMHO) but drier and tougher...without any flavor to boot. It's just "protein."
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #99
Mike Larry
Registered User
 
Mike Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 131
My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoguy View Post
Well, you guys are missing the point with expensive Chinese delicacies.

The taste is not the primary factor, it's really meant to be used as a peace offering or a sign of respect.

Shark fin soup/ bird's nest is coveted for it's rarity/price.

So say you have guest over, and you take them to a dinner. It is a sign of respect to order those dishes for the table. I don't think anyone orders them due to taste.

Also Chinese new money is everywhere, and they just buy it because they have run out of things to splurge on eg: check out walnut prices, jade, real estate, gold, art paintings in China.
i think youre missing the point of food. they could just as well get a delicacy that's rare and still tastes good.
__________________
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #100
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Going back to Mr. Rolleyes up top...do you know why they toss the rest of it back? Because the meat tastes like crap, and no one would pay for it. You'd think that with the poverty in China they can use to meat to feed the needy, but they don't even do that. It's worthless. You can buy a shark steak in the supermarkets in the US (not all, but many carry it)...if you come across it, pick one up just to try it. Its like swordfish (which is a pretty crappy fish IMHO) but drier and tougher...without any flavor to boot. It's just "protein."
I've had "shark bites" which are basically breaded pieces of fried shark, and they were OK. I like swordfish but found the shark to just be rubbery and tough.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use