E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
redfeathers

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330 ci
All time quesition

Do u think car manufacturers will EVER design and create a vehicle that will self diagnose itself completely and indicate to the driver exactly whats wrong and the fix?
Seems to me to be the next big selling item.
(bought new in 1997)
2003 roadking 61k miles white
(bought used in 2005)
redfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
No? Dealers make their money on service. And cars since the 90s have told the person with the right tools (dealers) exactly what's wrong.
If you have the right reading software, obdII leaves nothing to guess. It tells you exactly what's wrong.
So no, they don't care one bit about helping the driving diagnose problems.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
No? Dealers make their money on service. And cars since the 90s have told the person with the right tools (dealers) exactly what's wrong.
If you have the right reading software, obdII leaves nothing to guess. It tells you exactly what's wrong.
So no, they don't care one bit about helping the driving diagnose problems.
This. the dealers would lose money, so would the manufacturers. the way i think of it is car manufacturers have the technology to keep a car going for a long long time, but i think they purposely dont use it in their cars because they want you to buy another one, to make them money
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillsner View Post
This. the dealers would lose money, so would the manufacturers. the way i think of it is car manufacturers have the technology to keep a car going for a long long time, but i think they purposely dont use it in their cars because they want you to buy another one, to make them money
Making everything last as long as possible and be of the best quality takes money. You have to understand that cars are built by engineers AND accountants. It's all about money. No matter what car you're buying, there's sacrifices made because of a budget.
They don't make cars with cheaper parts because they want it to fail. They do it so you can afford to buy one.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
No, never. And remember mechanical issues won't make a computer alert you that it's failing. Does the ECU tell you that the control arm bushings are worn out?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #6
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Not possible. Unless you can make a robot car mechanic
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Not possible. Unless you can make a robot car mechanic
Neither is flying. Said everyone pre airplane.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Making everything last as long as possible and be of the best quality takes money. You have to understand that cars are built by engineers AND accountants. It's all about money. No matter what car you're buying, there's sacrifices made because of a budget.
They don't make cars with cheaper parts because they want it to fail. They do it so you can afford to buy one.
i think that's the root of his question. Will they make one that can self diagnose 'anything' that's wrong.

Anything is possible. More likely though, they will produce mechanical parts that are cheap to produce and failure free. Just look at some of the products and materials being used in the military and space exploration - just like aluminum foil, the technology will spread to the free market, production costs will decrease, demand will increase, supply will increase even faster as there will be lots of money to be made, and viola, we have a new technology to create bushings and control arms or struts that are 99% failure free.

Everything is possible.

Last edited by caleb6; 03-18-2013 at 05:38 AM.
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Idk, BMW's have always been pretty good at diagnosing themselves. Even my buddies E28 has brake pads sensors, bulb sensors, etc. Who knows what they'll have in the future

(Please pardon my auto-correct)
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
choxor

My Ride: JDM
The real question here is wtf a "quesition" is.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Maybe in the future we'll have something that evaluates fluids in real time to tell us when they actually NEED to be changed. We won't just have some interval for all that. As far as mechanical items: no we will never have sensors that tell us which part is broken (at least not in our lifetime). I can't think of a feasible way to even do this. You can't just slap a sensor on a bearing and see if it is go or no-go. It would take an array of sensors for each part. Also, there will never be a point where mechanical fatigue ceases to be a problem. Two reasons:

1. Physics. That's just how materials work
2. Auto companies design cars for 10 year lifespans. If they didn't their sales would drop dramatically. For example, Ford's specs for my company's products are -40C-150C for 10 years.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Manufactures do not really want their cars to self diagnose or last forever.

How would they ever sell new cars if this was the case?

Problem with self diagnosis is nobody thinks outside of the box and most software guys do not know anything about cars.

Even the scan tool manufactures have clueless software programmers.

There needs to be a level of people that can really tell the software programmers where the holes are and what is important.

Funny thing is most of the problems with today's cars area still the same as they were 40 years ago, fuel supply, ignition problems, vacuum leaks, engine mechanical issues, but everyone expect a scan tool to "Tell" you what is wrong, which they will not. They give you clues and you still have to use your head.

I cannot tell you how many times a DTC uses the work Mass Air Flow sensor or Oxygen sensor to describe a condition and the tech/mechanic blindly only sees the sensor description and jump to the conclusion the part mentioned is bad, when in many cases the sensor is reading out of range due to other issues.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Anything is possible, in time. How about a car that self fixes itself after it diagnosis the problem.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfeathers View Post
Do u think car manufacturers will EVER design and create a vehicle that will self diagnose itself completely and indicate to the driver exactly whats wrong and the fix?
Seems to me to be the next big selling item.
You'd best hope not. If they ever did then you fukkers couldn't begin to afford one even when it was 10 years old.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote