E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
PaulBegnoche

My Ride: 323I
Need opinions/help with a stretched tire size and wheel spacers.

Hello, I am new in the stretching world and BMW lowering world. I am waiting to put my coils on because of figuring out the right tire size, and what spacer I will need if any.

I am looking to go with a stretched tire, and will be rolling my fenders as well. I have 18 inch ASA AR1 wheels. The FRONTS have a dimension of 18 x 8 with a 17 offset. And, the rears have a dimension of 18x9 with a 20 offset.

So, basically I want a suggestion to what to do for a tire size that will give a noticeable stretch, and be good for a bit more added clearance. Keep in mind I am rolling the fenders. I have the roller and heat gun waiting.

I also was wondering about WHEEL SPACERS. Will I need them? I heard you need in between a 27-35 offset in the front? Would this mean I would need in between a 9-17mm spacer? Or, am I thinking in the wrong direction.

Please someone help!!!!

BTW It's going into a 2000 323I 4 door.

This is them on there now with no coils, no roll, and a tire size that is totally away from what I'm looking for. So, right now it rubs when I hit a bump. Trying to get this done quick.

This is what I'm going for. I found this E46 in google. I'm heading in this direction with some stretch in the tire.

HELP!!!!!!!
PaulBegnoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
lamsv

My Ride: 2001 325iT
There are too many factors involved with fitting aggressive wheels for any body to give you a definitive answer. For instance, camber plays a huge role in getting wheels to fit. How much negative camber will you be running, or are willing to run? Are you just going to roll your fenders, or give them a slight pull as well?

You are thinking the opposite when it comes to spacers. Spacers effectively make your offset LESS. So, adding a 10mm spacer to to a 18x8 et17 wheel will effectively make it an 18x8 et7 wheel. Spacers push your wheels further out.

As for your current wheels, those are pretty aggressive as is. Your current wheel specs (18x8 et17 and 18x9 et20) make me believe these wheels were on an E39. I would suggest rolling your fenders, lowering the car to where you want it, then decide if you even need spacers.

As for tire sizes, 215/40-18 up front, 225/40-18 out back... something along those lines if you are looking for some stretched tires.

lamsv:2001 325iT
lamsv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
PaulBegnoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv View Post
There are too many factors involved with fitting aggressive wheels for any body to give you a definitive answer. For instance, camber plays a huge role in getting wheels to fit. How much negative camber will you be running, or are willing to run? Are you just going to roll your fenders, or give them a slight pull as well?

You are thinking the opposite when it comes to spacers. Spacers effectively make your offset LESS. So, adding a 10mm spacer to to a 18x8 et17 wheel will effectively make it an 18x8 et7 wheel. Spacers push your wheels further out.

As for your current wheels, those are pretty aggressive as is. Your current wheel specs (18x8 et17 and 18x9 et20) make me believe these wheels were on an E39. I would suggest rolling your fenders, lowering the car to where you want it, then decide if you even need spacers.

As for tire sizes, 215/40-18 up front, 225/40-18 out back... something along those lines if you are looking for some stretched tires.

Thank you, yah my friend who usually helps me with this stuff literally just texted the same size tire. So, I guess it 215/40 in the front, 225/40 in the back.
And, I will be pulling the fenders slightly as well.

Stoked that you replied, I'm trying to learn this whole science of wheels. So, the spacer explanation was great. I was just thinking of making sure the et is away from the coils enough. I should look at some videos and explanation on this instead of trying to figure it out with my own sense. lol.

I'm just anxious to figure this out because I want to get this all fitted and together. And, will do what it take to not have problems with hitting/rubbing. So, first step is getting the tires.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
lamsv

Easiset way to go about this is to roll your fenders, put on the coilovers and lower the car to the height you want, then install the wheels. That will show you how much clearence you have or will need. Every car is different.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Easiset way to go about this is to roll your fenders, put on the coilovers and lower the car to the height you want, then install the wheels. That will show you how much clearence you have or will need. Every car is different.
+1

There is no one answer that fits all scenarios in this type of situation. So many factors play a part in how the wheels will fit.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
PaulBegnoche

I guess I was hoping that someone with the same wheel dimensions/car, or someone who dealt with them in past that could throw some advice.

I'm deciding between:
Tire size of: 215/40 in the front, 225/40 in the rear and Tire size of:205/40 in the front and 215/35 in the rear.

I still am trying to figure out if I'm going to need spacers or not now. But, like I said I will be rolling the fenders, and possibly pulling them a bit as well. So, I guess it's a play it by ear situation.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
PaulBegnoche

REAR

FRONT

Above is option one...

Rear

Front
Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
PaulBegnoche

Front
Old 03-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
lamsv

Be careful with that. You need to know the exact brand and model of tire you want to run. Every tire is different. Some brands run wide, some brands have side walls that bubble instead of stretch. If you want to compare pictures, you need to find the exact brand/model tire, in the size you want, on the exact sized wheel. Trust me. I researched tires for an old car of mine. I found pictures of a 225/40-18 on a 18x9. Looked like the perfect stretch. So, I bought tires in that size, mounted them, and they didn't stretch at all. Come to find out, the picture was of a Nitto NT555, and I had bought Falken 452's. The 452's, as most people will tell you, have square side walls, and they run large (just because it says it is a 225mm wide tire, doesn't mean it actually is).

Just don't want you to buy tires, only to find out they don't fit.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
PaulBegnoche

Quote:
Be careful with that. You need to know the exact brand and model of tire you want to run. Every tire is different. Some brands run wide, some brands have side walls that bubble instead of stretch. If you want to compare pictures, you need to find the exact brand/model tire, in the size you want, on the exact sized wheel. Trust me. I researched tires for an old car of mine. I found pictures of a 225/40-18 on a 18x9. Looked like the perfect stretch. So, I bought tires in that size, mounted them, and they didn't stretch at all. Come to find out, the picture was of a Nitto NT555, and I had bought Falken 452's. The 452's, as most people will tell you, have square side walls, and they run large (just because it says it is a 225mm wide tire, doesn't mean it actually is).

Thanks man I really appreciate the tip. And, being recently joined into E46Fanatics forum am pumped that the community is a actually social with each other. I tried a few forums, and the people either didn't talk. Or, just trash talked. But, once again thank you.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:

Once again, I agree! This guy knows what he's talking about haha.

Speaking from experience, if you are trying to go for aggressive fitment there is no way for people online to say what fits for sure. You kind of have to pick and choose your parts, and work around it.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
lamsv

No my first rodeo...

No problem. Even if I didn't agree with what you are trying to achieve, I would rather help you be successful at it, than run the risk of ruining your car.

Tags
323i, lowered, offset, tire, wheel fitment