E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
coffeebob

My Ride: coffee grinder
ready to get new suspension, ZHP inquiry

I have a 02 325i sedan sport package with ACS lowering springs + ZHP shocks/struts for 120k now (car at 160k). They are at about end-of-life.

1) Are they any places that sell the ZHP shocks/struts alone? The link below
sells the whole package with sway bars/control arms/etc that I don't really
need.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...em-33500429577

2) I am also open to Koni Yellow, but given the ZHP longevity, I would rather
stick with it. What do you think?

3) By the way I also want to get the rear shock mounts, not sure whether they
are bad, but just wanted to replace them at the same time. I don't need
anything fancy given the mileage on my car.

thank you!

My other grinder is a BMW
coffeebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
click my suspension thread, copy/paste part#s into google.

btw, your stock struts/shocks were severely degraded, if not dead, by 40k miles

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
coffeebob

Thanks Mango

a summary:

from www.rmeuropean.com

31312282459 $187.34 front strut
31312282460 $187.34 front strut

31336752735 $29.42 x 2 front strut mount
31306757046 $9 x 2 front bump stop
51717036781 $10.57 x 2 strut tower reinforcement plates

33522282461 $97.16 x 2 rear shocks

33521092362 $10.75 x 2 shock mount
33506757047 $10.99 x 2 bump stop
33526772864 $0.49 x 2 gasket
51718413359 $9.94 x 2 shock mount reinforcement plate

Struts/shocks only $374.68+$194.32 = $569
+ rest of hardwares $731

Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
yes you can just get the shocks/struts by themselves. I'd check with getBMWparts.com for their pricing on genuine BMW parts.

personally I would really consider the Koni's, they also happen to be 20% off at most places this month(Koni Special)

as for rear shock mount there are the Meyle HD and some other good ones under $50
Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
yes you can just get the shocks/struts by themselves. I'd check with getBMWparts.com for their pricing on genuine BMW parts.

personally I would really consider the Koni's, they also happen to be 20% off at most places this month(Koni Special)

as for rear shock mount there are the Meyle HD and some other good ones under $50
Alex, are the ZHP dampers stiffer than the sport 330 dampers?

(this question is for the grand kodiak only)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

according to the magazine specs they're suppose to have different percentage of both compression and rebound. but I'm sure that was given to them by BMW and who knows what the baseline was, from previous sport, non-sport?? (I have seen specs on the 323/328 zsp and they also are firmer). I could quote the magazines and press release but then I'd be contributing to something I haven't seen confirmed. So wont go that far. but the short answer from literature is Yes.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
I went with the Koni Yellows last spring when they were having the sale. Love 'em.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Get Konis or Bilsteins.

I pulled my stock shocks/struts at 105k and they all rebounded promptly, and had no leaks. That said, Koni Sport is the better option that will probably last 200k+

If you want to improve the ride without decreasing handling, you could buy the Koni FSDs.

Grand Kodiak- part numbers are the same. So I think the literature is wrong, as it is for the sway bars. I've had two ZHPs now and neither of you have had one. I've pulled two sets of ZHP struts/shocks and bought another. All the same as the newer sport shocks. Springs may be different, but most likely not, and the only way to know for sure would to have five or so ZHP and ZSP springs tested.

Meyle HD shock mounts suck. Buy Lemforder, Rogue or OE with reinforcement plates.

EDIT: I know I sound abrasive but I'm tired of my (fairly scientific) results on the shock/strut & sway bar matter being passed over.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Grande D; 03-19-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Get Konis or Bilsteins.

I pulled my stock shocks/struts at 105k and they all rebounded promptly, and had no leaks. That said, Koni Sport is the better option that will probably last 200k+

If you want to improve the ride without decreasing handling, you could buy the Koni FSDs.

Grand Kodiak- part numbers are the same. So I think the literature is wrong, as it is for the sway bars. I've had two ZHPs now and neither of you have had one. I've pulled two sets of ZHP struts/shocks and bought another. All the same as the newer sport shocks. Springs may be different, but most likely not, and the only way to know for sure would to have five or so ZHP and ZSP springs tested.

Meyle HD shock mounts suck. Buy Lemforder, Rogue or OE with reinforcement plates.

EDIT: I know I sound abrasive but I'm tired of my (fairly scientific) results on the shock/strut & sway bar matter being passed over.
IIRC, the part #s are different for ZHP, non-ZHP, sport struts/shocks, no? RealOEM shows different part #s

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
IIRC, the part #s are different for ZHP, non-ZHP, sport struts/shocks, no? RealOEM shows different part #s
Don't think so. They are all -459, -460. There is an M-Tech suspension or something of the sort made for european markets only.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
coffeebob

For Koni Yellow Adj, are these the correct parts (for 02 325i sedan sport pkg)

8741-1390LSport - Koni Left Adjustable Front Strut
8741-1390RSport - Koni Right Adjustable Front Strut
8040-1250Sport - Koni Adjustable Rear Shock (Quantity 2)

What setting should I use to get close to ZHP feel?

Can I use BMW shock mount/reinforcement plate with Koni?

thanks.

Last edited by coffeebob; 03-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post

well that could very well be. I know the swaybars are the same and thought the springs were confirmed years ago by JPR as the same too. it's refreshing seeing a ZHP owner actually stepping up and helping with another "zhp myth" getting correct info out. I know many of the earliest press release stated one thing and we all accepted it, and why shouldn't we. But as time goes on we find much was hype. I contacted one of the writers last month of EC on their article on the zhp specs. Telling them many things they still publish is known to be wrong. His answer was that many parts may have been superseded to the upgraded zhp parts. That was probably a reason for the current same part numbers on zhp and zsp. Which could be true, but Im not sure i buy that excuse. One thing I recall about the shocks is that I know Tischer BMW was selling the zhp upgrade suspension kit and shocks were listed as different then
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Grande D

I'd be willing to chip in on getting some springs tested if I knew how to go about it, or who to contact for that sort of thing.

Some stuff has been superseded- for example the "ZHP 6 speed" became the 330 6 speed a year later. That sort of thing. I agree, it's not a rock solid blanket explanation for everything though.

Maybe Tischer included the earlier Sachs touring (better) shocks and struts, or the european Sachs M-Tech struts which have different part numbers and do seem to be stiffer. The later sport and ZHP struts/shocks are different from earlier sport shocks, maybe the ZHP was the first with the newer ones in 03? Dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebob View Post
For Koni Yellow Adj, are these the correct parts (for 02 325i sedan sport pkg)

8741-1390LSport - Koni Left Adjustable Front Strut
8741-1390RSport - Koni Right Adjustable Front Strut
8040-1250Sport - Koni Adjustable Rear Shock (Quantity 2)

What setting should I use to get close to ZHP feel?

Can I use BMW shock mount/reinforcement plate with Koni?

thanks.
Feel out the settings. Everyones preference is different. Stiffer is not always better, certainly from a ride standpoint but also sometimes from a grip standpoint. I think people usually set the rears halfway between stiff and soft.

Last edited by Grande D; 03-19-2013 at 04:52 PM.