E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Chiefriley

My Ride: 2000 346 323ci Auto
top wont operate with engine running...

...help, top wont operate with engine running...new here i know i've asked before but when i bought the car the dealer told me (when he) part exed it the battery went flat, he then said he put a new battery in... so i don't know if the 2 are linked

bit worried as people are saying DON'T operate the soft top without the engine running as it could flatten the battery...seems a coincedence..

could it need re-setting?

please help

ta very muchos
S
Chiefriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefriley View Post
...help, top wont operate with engine running...new here i know i've asked before but when i bought the car the dealer told me (when he) part exed it the battery went flat, he then said he put a new battery in... so i don't know if the 2 are linked

bit worried as people are saying DON'T operate the soft top without the engine running as it could flatten the battery...seems a coincedence..

could it need re-setting?

please help

ta very muchos
S

Something could use fixing, as the top should operate w/ engine running or not. However, do not hesitate to operate the top w/ the engine off.

First, it's designed to operate w/ the engine off, as you can control it from the driver's door. What makes this especially nice is that you can open the top before getting inside. On a hot day, this allows the heat to escape, which I presume was one of their intentions.

Secondly, I frequently operate the top with the engine off and my OEM battery lasted 9 1/2 years!

So don't let some ignorant advice worry you, you're good!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Chiefriley

thanks sgoetz628 really appreciated, i will look into what the fix may be and nice to know it can be operated, however after reading your reply I'm debating whether to install a, OEM battery as I'm sure the dealer won't have....

thanks again. )
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
TopHydraulicsInc.com
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: German verts
Thumbs Up operating the top without engine running

I do not have an answer to the original problem posed, but would like to chime in on using pumps without the engine running. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, especially not being a BMW owner myself, but would agree with sgoetz628.

The hydraulic pump draws some 20A. If it runs for some 30 seconds under normal conditions, then this would be using about 1/6 Ah of the battery's capacity - on the order of 1% of a new battery's capacity (forgive me for rounding off here). If that "flattens" an old battery, then it is time to swap batteries.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
5434-8234530 (hydro-unit)
54347025592 (control unit)
54347025598 (improved hoses manufactured at Top Hydraulics)
http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/56-bmw-e46
www.tophydraulicsinc.com

TopHydraulicsInc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Chiefriley

Thanks top hydraulics , appreciated...so as long as its a 'decent' battery I should be ok. )
Best have a look.

S )

Tags
broke, engine, not opening, roof