E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
My 300wsm is fairly tame compared to my slug guns... but I also shoot the hot rounds out of my slug guns so I can reach out to 200yrds.
I remember reading a while back that the major benefit of the WSM cartridges was that with the cartridge having such a wide diameter, it reduced the felt recoil markedly compared to their full size counterparts (7mm Mag, .300Win Mag, etc). The ballistics on those WSM cartridges is actually pretty favorable.

High velocity slug loads SUCK. I shoot the Hornady 12ga 300gr SSTs, and those pound the living shit out of my shoulder. I have several scope kisses from shooting my deer setup. I am actually contemplating going to a 20ga for deer hunting. Same ballistics, but about 15-20% less recoil.
I just wish they'd sell the Benelli SuperNova in 20ga.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I remember reading a while back that the major benefit of the WSM cartridges was that with the cartridge having such a wide diameter, it reduced the felt recoil markedly compared to their full size counterparts (7mm Mag, .300Win Mag, etc). The ballistics on those WSM cartridges is actually pretty favorable.

High velocity slug loads SUCK. I shoot the Hornady 12ga 300gr SSTs, and those pound the living shit out of my shoulder. I have several scope kisses from shooting my deer setup. I am actually contemplating going to a 20ga for deer hunting. Same ballistics, but about 15-20% less recoil.
I just wish they'd sell the Benelli SuperNova in 20ga.
Yeah, Like I mentioned, the 300wsm doesn't kick all that bad - even with it being an ultralightweight setup...

I also shoot the Hornady SST 300gr slugs! I just switched to them this past year. I had been shooting the Winchester XP3's, but the shells became hard to get, expensive, and then the batch that I ordered from Cabelas were only labeled 1900fps. All the previous XP3 slugs had been 2000fps, so I'm not sure what happened here. All that combined, and then the SST's being on sale for $9.95/box locally, I stocked up on SST's - and my A-Bolt Shotgun actually shoots these a little better than the XP3's oddly enough... on my Ithaca I couldn't tell a difference.

Last edited by TSR6; 03-20-2013 at 11:16 PM.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #23
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I took the year off from deer hunting, and I likely will again this year if the deer numbers don't look good. The past 3 years have been terrible, so in 2012 I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. Nobody in my hunting party saw a deer they could shoot, so it was the right move.
If I get back into deer hunting, I think I'll wind up picking up a 20ga Remington 870 and pimping it out.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I took the year off from deer hunting, and I likely will again this year if the deer numbers don't look good. The past 3 years have been terrible, so in 2012 I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. Nobody in my hunting party saw a deer they could shoot, so it was the right move.
If I get back into deer hunting, I think I'll wind up picking up a 20ga Remington 870 and pimping it out.
I've got an 870 in 20g - shoot the Winchester Partition Gold slugs out of that one. Shoots nice, but my pecking order is still A-Bolt > Ithaca > 870 in that order for slug guns...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
325iGirl03

My Ride: 2003 325i
Throw a grenade launcher on that guy.
325iGirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote