E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
Amp Rack for fiberglass box

I know the box isnt finished, just a temporary situation for now until I get everything how I want.

My question is what to do with the amp rack? I dont really like the current positioning but I cant figure out anything better.

Anyone got some ideas to work around the box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0470.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	495660  
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
bmwmen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 54
My Ride: E46 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter View Post
I know the box isnt finished, just a temporary situation for now until I get everything how I want.

My question is what to do with the amp rack? I dont really like the current positioning but I cant figure out anything better.

Anyone got some ideas to work around the box?
My best bet is to remove the box
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
The box is removable. I was looking for a different setup on the amp rack. The two batteries with amp on top in the corner isnt to my liking. Maybe ill leave it as is and just false wall the rack?
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
ANREC330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,083
My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Mount it where the spare tire goes. Had mine like that for two years with no problems.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
That seems like a decent idead actually ^^

A piece of 3/4 mdf might do the trick. I guess I'll need to figure out how to mount it so I still have access to the spare. Thanks for the suggestion
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
ANREC330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,083
My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
This is how I mounted mine. Ill take more pictures in the morning now that it's all done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1363416289.407481.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	495780
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
im getting disoriented looking at the pic

is that where the spare tire is I'm assuming?
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
ANREC330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,083
My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Yes, it fits without perfectly and you don't need to remove the spare tire.

Here's a better picture of when it was in my 330. The rubber may was just there so my tools wouldn't move around while I was installing the amp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1363654376.398395.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	496179
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
ANREC330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,083
My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
And here's how I have it in my M3
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1363728420.915280.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	496276
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
jpage101
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 37
My Ride: '04 330ci - '09 328i
I think mounting where the spare goes is the best bet.

I would have suggested mounting it to the top of the inside of the trunk, like the stock harmon kardon amp is installed, but i would be afraid to have the subs directly under them going up. I installed an aftermarket amp on my old e30 like this and I loved it.
__________________
- James

jpage101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
Thanks for the input anrec330, I'm going to tool around with that idea and see if I can figure out something where the amp is removable in case I need the spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpage101 View Post
I think mounting where the spare goes is the best bet.

I would have suggested mounting it to the top of the inside of the trunk, like the stock harmon kardon amp is installed, but i would be afraid to have the subs directly under them going up. I installed an aftermarket amp on my old e30 like this and I loved it.
That was my original idea tbh. Its hard to tell but the box is so big that you have to put it in the car at an angle and it would be impossible to mount the amp there.
If the spare tire doesnt work ill move it to the other side of the trunk and try to hide it behind the carpet.
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
ccaudio1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: california
Posts: 93
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter View Post
I know the box isnt finished, just a temporary situation for now until I get everything how I want.

My question is what to do with the amp rack? I dont really like the current positioning but I cant figure out anything better.

Anyone got some ideas to work around the box?

just an opinion.. redo the box, do a u shape fiberglass box that will take the shape of the space closer to the backseat and fender well, build the amprack in the middle or in the tire well.

if thats not possible, move the amp to the left side. create a mounting panel to support the amp. or move the amp behind the box and build a frame to to high light it thru the ski opening if yo have that..
ccaudio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Tweeks802
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vermont
Posts: 103
My Ride: 2004 325xi
This is where I put mine...mounted under the rear deck...box isn't carpeted but will be soon. JL 10w3v3 custom slot ported box with a Rockford 500/1 amp. All of this running off factory HK Business system. Sounds perfect!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1364435886.506325.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	497481  
Tweeks802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaudio1 View Post
just an opinion.. redo the box, do a u shape fiberglass box that will take the shape of the space closer to the backseat and fender well, build the amprack in the middle or in the tire well.

if thats not possible, move the amp to the left side. create a mounting panel to support the amp. or move the amp behind the box and build a frame to to high light it thru the ski opening if yo have that..
Box is already on the small side for a ported box for 4 12's.
I built this with the objective of being able to remove it easily
No ski pass. I'm working on finding a new back seat.
but box is still too large to put it there.
Only have about 5 inches for the port to breathe even with the box all the way back.

I'm going to move it to the left side of the car tomm
so i have battery access at least.
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
lrinco01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington,TX -- Afghanistan
Posts: 982
My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Blind_shooter,

where are You located? i am going try my best not to be rude but know that i am just trying to help.

what are you thinking stuffing FOUR 12" kickers in a bmw coupe? with the right power one 12" will be enough. that enclosure is cool but over-kill for such a small space and it kills your trunk space.

in any case, you can mount the amp under the enclosure in the spare tire area or under your rear deck where jpage101 mentioned above. i have changed my trunk set up over the years and have had numerous amps all over the trunk. over the battery isn't a good location due to heat dissapation.

my Last set up, was a custom, single 12" JBL W12GTi which (is a 4000w max / 500w rms sub) i had inverted to show off its Cool huge magnet.

a real BEAST and I was powering that thing with a JL A1800 and it was awesome looking and performing but over time you grow out of it and realize your ears and head can only take but so much. see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953

do not get me wrong i am not trying to discourage you from what you want to do just pointing out the obvious that that four 12 custom enclosure is overkill for such a small car. an enclosure like that is best for a wagon or SUV/VAN

take some measurements and try the underside of the reardeck 1st. the amp will get better ventilation secured up there without an issue and easier access where under the enclosure and in the spare tire well it will get little to no ventilation causing over-heating concerns

Rico
__________________
Leonel Aka " Rico"
BMWCCA # 403748
01 BMW E46 M3 / 6 SPD / Tiag / Imola
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Blind_Shooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bunga bunga
Posts: 246
My Ride: is your sister
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrinco01 View Post
Blind_shooter,

where are You located? i am going try my best not to be rude but know that i am just trying to help.

what are you thinking stuffing FOUR 12" kickers in a bmw coupe? with the right power one 12" will be enough. that enclosure is cool but over-kill for such a small space and it kills your trunk space.

in any case, you can mount the amp under the enclosure in the spare tire area or under your rear deck where jpage101 mentioned above. i have changed my trunk set up over the years and have had numerous amps all over the trunk. over the battery isn't a good location due to heat dissapation.

my Last set up, was a custom, single 12" JBL W12GTi which (is a 4000w max / 500w rms sub) i had inverted to show off its Cool huge magnet.

a real BEAST and I was powering that thing with a JL A1800 and it was awesome looking and performing but over time you grow out of it and realize your ears and head can only take but so much. see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953

do not get me wrong i am not trying to discourage you from what you want to do just pointing out the obvious that that four 12 custom enclosure is overkill for such a small car. an enclosure like that is best for a wagon or SUV/VAN

take some measurements and try the underside of the reardeck 1st. the amp will get better ventilation secured up there without an issue and easier access where under the enclosure and in the spare tire well it will get little to no ventilation causing over-heating concerns

Rico
Located in Florida, but this is a sedan not a coupe. Not that it really matters.
I'm a college student and if I go on a road trip, I remove the box or put everything in the back seat. Its not a concern for me really.

I love bass. I've had much more bass than this in the past so this a decent step down for me.
I do my own custom work and this was left over from the last install i did in a smaller car.
Personally I'm still trying to make it louder through other means.

I have no problems with heat from the amp at all. Mmats do not get warm ever.
I beat the crap out of the amp on a 6hr drive recently and it was fine.
The box is such a tight fit coming in and out of the trunk that mounting it off the rear deck is impossible and would probably kill the amp due to the rattling.

Thanks for the input though. To each his own
__________________
smells like crayons

Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use