E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #261
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
I am going to start combing craiglists for heavy weights I can use at home. I chopped wood the other day and I felt like a man!!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #262
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I'm posting a guide I've been working on for a few days today.. Check it out. Great job man, i agree with solly and think you are at the point where you need to start lifting heavy. You don't look too skinny, but adding just 3-5 lbs of muscle would make you look a lot more "fit". If you continue to lose weight using your methods I think you might start losing noticeable strength/tissue
He'll get that "runners" look which I think is not very attractive to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
I am going to start combing craiglists for heavy weights I can use at home. I chopped wood the other day and I felt like a man!!!
A 300lb weigh set, a bench, and a squat rack. You can get this all for about $300-1000 depending on luck and condition.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #263
jmcdolej

Took about 4 days off and my weight started to climb back to 175. Been back at it since Monday. 172 this morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1363875254.849499.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	496492   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1363875272.841367.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	496493   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1363875290.924737.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	496494  

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #264
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Good sh1t

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Bimmer App
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #265
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I love how the original post had a goal weight of 200... Once you start you can't stop really! I know you'll get addicted to compound lifting if you ever got a rack / gym pass... That seems like logical next step to me since you are getting really lean
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #266
jmcdolej

It is the next step. I just need to figure it out. I have a very busy life. No way a gym fits in. Lifting at home, maybe.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #267
DylloS

Quote:
It is the next step. I just need to figure it out. I have a very busy life. No way a gym fits in. Lifting at home, maybe.
definitely. If you have time to do your normal workout you can work in a simple heavy lifting program too. We've talked about it for a while now. Do you just not want to do it?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #268
jmcdolej

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
definitely. If you have time to do your normal workout you can work in a simple heavy lifting program too. We've talked about it for a while now. Do you just not want to do it?
Honestly there a few obstacles. My wife being one. Anytime I step up my workout game she says I am getting obsessed. I have no room for weights at my house. It would have to be outside. I could time wise. Run less and lift in place of it.

The gym is just not an option for me. I dont have time for a 20 minute drive both ways and an hour at the gym 3 times a week. I want to do it, i just have to figure it out.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #269
DylloS

Quote:
Honestly there a few obstacles. My wife being one. Anytime I step up my workout game she says I am getting obsessed. I have no room for weights at my house. It would have to be outside. I could time wise. Run less and lift in place of it.

The gym is just not an option for me. I dont have time for a 20 minute drive both ways and an hour at the gym 3 times a week. I want to do it, i just have to figure it out.
Wasn't she worried you would get too skinny? If you can let her know this will prevent that she may like it. I'm not sure how your home is set up but you really only need a small square of space for a rack. Sorry if I'm annoying. Just trying to help.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #270
jmcdolej

Not annoying me. I appreciate your advice or I would not post on here. I just need to figure it out. I think after the Spartan race (4/27) I will push for it.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #271
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:

I'm not sure why she would accuse you of being obsessed...? Isn't that like accusing someone of being too healthy? What about if you were obsessed with having a good diet?
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #272
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I'm not sure why she would accuse you of being obsessed...? Isn't that like accusing someone of being too healthy? What about if you were obsessed with having a good diet?
I'm assuming once you have a family anything other than making them the focus is a real fear. I often think one that that I will have a family and wont be able to run right into the garage to workout with my friends.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #273
jmcdolej

Quote:
I'm assuming once you have a family anything other than making them the focus is a real fear. I often think one that that I will have a family and wont be able to run right into the garage to workout with my friends.
That is part of it. It is all about priority. I put my kids first, no doubt. I coach them in all their sports. I hardly ever workout when I could be spending time with them. 99% of the time it is after they leave for school (8am) or after they go to bed.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #274
DylloS

Quote:
That is part of it. It is all about priority. I put my kids first, no doubt. I coach them in all their sports. I hardly ever workout when I could be spending time with them. 99% of the time it is after they leave for school (8am) or after they go to bed.
then you should be ok. Tell your wife your internet friends say it's ok.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #275
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
173 this morning. Been running a ton prepping for spring break end of this month and spartan race 4/27. You guys think too skinny. My wife's friend said I look scrawny. Now granted her husband is 6-3 with a big ole gut.
Quote:
how tall are you again?

You are looking very thin and on the verge of being too skinny. This is where heavy weight training and a lot of clean calories would really help that.
Quote:
He'll get that "runners" look which I think is not very attractive to anyone.

A 300lb weigh set, a bench, and a squat rack. You can get this all for about $300-1000 depending on luck and condition.
great job, man! you should be proud!

i disagree with the whole runner's look, too skinny comments. it's a matter of your body type and your taste in body type. if people are used to seeing you one way, you will look very skinny to them when you transform. i got those comments all the time when i'd run 40+ miles weeks consistently and had a weight of ~140 at 5'10".

dean karnazes is an ultramarathoner who is about 5'8 and 147lb. he obviously runs a **** ton of miles, but his weight training consists of basically body weight exercises like pushups and pullups. he is rippppppped and proportional.

if you want to go the heavy weight, bulk up route that's fine, but i think you're good where you are. why needlessly increase calories to add mass? but that's just my opinion.

overall looking back, what do you think the most beneficial changes you made were? what were the keys to making those changes and maintaining them for the entire year? what is your ideal workout schedule going forward? biggest bump along the way?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #276
dabears

lifting heavy weights with compound barbell exercises isn't going to make him bulk up! it'll add functional strength and create denser muscle, with a slight size increase. he won't get that "puffy muscle" look.

call it whatever "look" you want, but a prolonged calorie deficit + combined with minimal to no weightlifting at this point in time will do more harm than good in my opinion. There isn't much fat left to burn and the body will look elsewhere.

completely agree on the lack of time, it must be very hard with a family. I would probably stop dieting (calorie deficit) and eat at your current maintenance for a couple weeks to create a "set point" body composition wise. My opinion of course.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #277
jmcdolej

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post

overall looking back, what do you think the most beneficial changes you made were? what were the keys to making those changes and maintaining them for the entire year? what is your ideal workout schedule going forward? biggest bump along the way?
Most beneficial change was tracking everything. Workouts and food. Writing it down helped me a ton now I use apps.

The keys to change to me is a mindset. I got hooked. I love working out now.

My ideal schedule is run 8-9am m-f, workout 3 other nights per week.

My biggest bump was an obsession. For awhile I quit living a normal life. Every meal had to be perfect. No alcohol at all. That doesnt work. You cant maintain that. You have to figure out what works for you but all in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post

completely agree on the lack of time, it must be very hard with a family. I would probably stop dieting (calorie deficit) and eat at your current maintenance for a couple weeks to create a "set point" body composition wise. My opinion of course.
I can set my weight watchers to maintenance. Basically I get 38 points a day now and 45 weekly points. At maintenance I got to 44 points.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #278
dabears

very sound advice / lessons learned. I'm sure we can all relate, and were all OCD at some point. Maybe even currently!

weight watchers is legit, does a great job of simplying everything into their point system.

I think until you can push & pull some heavy weights, eating to maintenance with your current workouts would be great... looks to me personally like the cutting is over. and what a great job you did btw
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #279
jmcdolej

Thanks dabears. I appreciate your advice and time. Your knowledge is impressive.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #280
jmcdolej

Well well well. Since the Spartan race been slacking off some. Started to get back at it this week though. Been running a lot. Have not been doing any weight work. So I got step it back up. Eating wise: I stopped weight watchers and switched to MyNetDiary. More calorie based. I just feel like I am eating too much. Weight has ranged 176-179 the last week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (4).jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	507135