E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #5241
06E46M3
Banned User

My Ride: L;KL;KL;KL;LKL;;KLL
yall talkin bout fake watches but what if u have replica csl parts on ur M3? is that any better? hmmmm??
06E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #5242
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E46M3 View Post
yall talkin bout fake watches but what if u have replica csl parts on ur M3? is that any better? hmmmm??
For a purely "form" piece like a spoiler? I don't see why not. Pay crazy money for an OEM bumper or a few hundred for a physically identical one. The lip on my s2000 (Amuse replica) is $200. The real one is $900. Thats for a lip. The real one is made of fiberglass and the fake is urethane. If I had the real one in NY, it would be shattered to pieces. Car parts and watches are nothing alike.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #5243
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
i love bad bitches thats my fvcken problem
and yea i like to fvck i got a fvcken problem
you must be OG

2 easy 2 make hp turbos

Last edited by Fergo; 03-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #5244
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I asked, because normally what you're buying when buying real is quality. I can tell you there's a big difference between a real coach purse and a fake one. The materials used and the craftsmanship on the real this is unmatchable.
even tho im a guy but i LoL at girls wearing Coach...even tho i own their stock
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #5245
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWonder View Post
even tho im a guy but i LoL at girls wearing Coach...even tho i own their stock
I can appreciate quality things in any form. And coach makes some very nice pieces. I've inspected some just looking to buy and the quality and craftsmanship is well beyond something you'd buy at kohls.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #5246
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E46M3 View Post
I don't view the two as even remotely similar. Putting a CSL boot lid on an M3 is like putting a quality aftermarket strap on a real Omega/Breitling/Rolex.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #5247
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
It's like the fiero-ferrari or simply slapping on the ///m sticker on a reg 3
Bad fake
Or m3 bumper and fender on a reg 3 series. .. good enough to trick most ppl who don't know
Maybe a near perfect fake is a reg 330 dressed up as a zhp with the right visible parts... even has a 6speed shift knob but still a 5 speed

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 03-21-2013 at 05:20 PM.
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #5248
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
There in lies the fine line between what's acceptable and what's not. I guess it's obviously preferential but also it does depend on the object in question. I think a neccessity object like car receives a bit more tolerance give then aftermarket community and the money it brings behind it. Whereas the watch industry an essentially now accessory market is all about authenticity versus functionality. Most people here on the forum depend on their phone or computer to tell time first, not the watch they wear.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #5249
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
It's like the fiero-ferrari or simply slapping on the ///m sticker on a reg 3
Bad fake
Or m3 bumper and fender on a reg 3 series. .. good enough to trick most ppl who don't know
Maybe a near perfect fake is a reg 330 dressed up as a zhp with the right visible parts... even has a 6speed shift knob but still a 5 speed

[bimmerapp]
Have you read the last page? The watches are produced by CNC machines (both real and fake) and on some models, the movement is exactly identical...the only difference is one is $500 one is $7000. For many, that's a price not worth paying. Your analogy is poor. If you want a decent automotive analogy, which is better, an original AC cobra or a brand new licensed Superperformance replica?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #5250
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
no matter how you twist and turn it, a fake is a fake.
bry330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #5251
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Have you read the last page? The watches are produced by CNC machines (both real and fake) and on some models, the movement is exactly identical...the only difference is one is $500 one is $7000. For many, that's a price not worth paying. Your analogy is poor. If you want a decent automotive analogy, which is better, an original AC cobra or a brand new licensed Superperformance replica?
I was eating In n out and trying to post a better analogy than the last one given

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #5252
NFRs2000nyc

Here is my take on it, and this is purely my opinion. To me it's all about context. If someone here really likes a Pam111, but can never afford to buy a real one (lets face it, $7000 cash is a lot of scratch these days) but wants to own one because he likes the looks, he can buy one and tell people that exact story...that he just wanted the watch because he likes the way it looks, can't afford a real one, so he got a replica. Thats perfectly fine in my eyes, and I won't think any less of the person, nor will I ever call someone like that out (not that there is a need to, since they admit it's a rep.) However, if some club going meathead with a fake tan and a popped collar decides to sport a fake Royal Oak, telling everyone its a $15K watch, or even worse, wearing a fake of a watch that I know you could never get (I met some guy once that had a limited edition...I think it was a run of 10 watches.....tourbillon AP that costs 250K) then I think you are a bag of douche and deserve to be embarrassed (I believe we had someone like that a few pages back trying to pass off a fake as being a baller...not the IWC guy). I have always wanted to own an AC cobra, but won't ever spend 250K on a pristine example. However, I will definitely get a replica (a quality one, aluminum body) and enjoy it. I am not going to go to carshows telling everyone "check out my original AC cobra....partially because I'd get called out in 20 seconds, and partially because there is no reason to lie....I'd be proud of what I have and that's that. Now granted, the AC cobra is not EXACTLY the same as wearing a fake Panerai, but it's the most accurate example that people can relate to. One more thing, for the most part, watches are appreciated by only a few. Only a few know the difference, appreciate a high end watch (some people, including on here, don't understand why someone would spend $30K on a watch) which leaves the appreciation solely to the connoisseurs. If you wear a real Royal Oak or a fake one, 99.5% of people won't give a crap. They won't know that a Royal Oak costs 100 times more than some blinged out Fossil watch or some Guess watch. To them it's just a watch. So, if you just want to rock a rep Pam for yourself, I say who cares, no one else does. Finally, the person is the biggest tell of all....if you have a "specialty watch" and know nothing about it, you are either daddys rich douchey son, or a poser with a fake that bought the watch because it's blingy. The person makes the watch, not vice versa. I can't tell you how many people I have seen over the years wearing solid gold Day/Dates or Yachtmasters looking like deadbeats.....they are a dead giveaway that the watch is fake, not the watch itself. Buy whatever you want, enjoy it, don't flaunt it, and if asked, tell the truth. No one will care, I assure you.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #5253
vinnybones

My Ride: E46 330i & E46 M3
This watch world is worse then the drug world.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #5254
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
Maybe you're thinking of BostonModena lol

I don't get the appeal of Royal Oak..doesn't look that nice imo. Plenty of other nice pieces.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #5255
RobK732

My Ride: 2008 VW R32
Send a message via AIM to RobK732
Saw this on a billboard the other day, really like it..

Raymond Weil Freelancer in Urban Black

RobK732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #5256
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
wearing a knock off med-top tier watch brand is nothing like slapping an M3 bumper on a non-m car. Watches no matter how u cut it is a status symbol, a luxury item...even more so then cars if you think about it. So a person wearing a fake saying they like the style is full of s#it in my eyes. They just a poseur imo

back to the watches...that RW freelancer is one great looking watch.

love the pen too, i have the rubber SW version

Last edited by BruceWonder; 03-21-2013 at 09:13 PM.
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #5257
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Maybe you're thinking of BostonModena lol

I don't get the appeal of Royal Oak..doesn't look that nice imo. Plenty of other nice pieces.
I used to love them until every loser with a fake tan started wearing them. I used to own a volcano, but sold it as soon as I saw that the Royal Oak was as common as pink polos with popped collars.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #5258
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybones View Post
This watch world is worse then the drug world.
In what way?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #5259
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWonder View Post
wearing a knock off med-top tier watch brand is nothing like slapping an M3 bumper on a non-m car. Watches no matter how u cut it is a status symbol, a luxury item...even more so then cars if you think about it. So a person wearing a fake saying they like the style is full of s#it in my eyes. They just a poseur imo

back to the watches...that RW freelancer is one great looking watch.

love the pen too, i have the rubber SW version
Thats your opinion, and you are entitled to it. As you can see from the video on the last page, some people own the real AND the rep. Most people won't treat their watches like I do. They are not going to install a Jeep lift kit while wearing their $10K Rolex banging it around on the axles. Some people don't like to travel with real watches, especially ones that are easily recognizable like Pams or Rollies. Everyone has their reasons. No reason to judge people based on their choices, UNLESS they (like you said) are posing.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #5260
vinnybones

My Ride: E46 330i & E46 M3
Its so ****ed up, Call me naive but I used to think the only fake watches were Rolex and sold in NYC. Come to find out they are making watches that you cant even tell are fake by looking at them let alone having the same movements as the real thing. It makes me scared to even purchase anything after my last mishap. Getting beat on a 8Ball is only 150-160$ getting beat on a watch is 1-15000$. Its riskier for somebody like me who just is getting into watches to buy one rather then go to the hood and score some drugs.