E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #21
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laconic View Post
SeanC; I am grateful for your time and perspective, and I appreciate your
knowledge. Any way to be able to email you? Tnanks either way.
pm me if you have any specific questions

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Another option would be the Koni FSD's. They are a much better shock than the STR.T's, and not quite as stiff as the Koni yellows. I have a set that I have not installed yet, but my research found some good reviews for them on this site and others. They are about 20% stiffer than the OEM shocks that came on the ZHP's, according to the people at Koni, and some people on here seemed to agree with that assesment. But, they are valves to be softer on harsh roads, but stiffen up when you push them. They seem to be built as well as the Yellows, I have a set of yellows to compare them with. The shaft looks to be the same one they use in the yellows. I ordered a set of the STR.T's to compare them to, so I could compare all 3 types. The FSD's are definitely built a good bit stronger than the STR.T's. They seem to use the same housings and shafts and the Yellows, but they have a self adjusting valving built into them, to make them ride smoother until you start to push them hard. As I said, I have not installed mine yet, but you can find some reviews in the suspension section, as well as other sites. They are a good step up from the STR.T's, without going with the firmer ride of the yellows.
Start working Google, and see if you can find some sales. I was able to get mine for $635 shipped from NAMotorsports, but I see that they have raised their prices back to the normal $1100 or so. Get the model number off of the Koni website, and search for the model number on Google, and hope that you can find a good deal like I did.
BTW - If money is tight, have you considered buying replacement Sacs shocks? You would still spend about $600, but they are decent shocks, and they have brought you this far.

Also, you need to plan on spending about $150 more for all of the other bits and pieces you should replace when you change out your shocks. You should replace all of the various rubber pads, bump stops, the top strut mount, and you definitely want to get a set of rear shock mounts that are better than the OEM mounts. There are several options available, but I would not use the factory mount. You will see why when you remove your old one. You can skip replacing this stuff, but it is very likely that your original ones are in bad shape. It would make no sense to replace your shocks, and re-use some rubber pads that will fall apart, and start making horrible noises when you have metal springs rubbing against metal spring mounts.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 03-21-2013 at 12:23 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
laconic

My Ride: 2001 325i
MJ,

Thanks for the very detailed answer. I am giving strong consideration to going with Sachs again. Question is, can I use the Sachs shocks/struts that are used with the Sports Package, or will they not fit on a standard configured car?
laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
MJLavelle

You can use them with the sports package. There are 2 versions, one is for the cars with sports suspension, and the other is without. That info should be on the site you buy them from. If you look at http://www.rmeuropean.com/
And enter your model information, you will see they have both the regular and sports versions.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
laconic

Thank you, MJ. What I mean, though, is this: I have a standard 325i without the sports package. I assume, suspension-wise, that the sports package is comprised of specific shock/struts and springs. Could I install those sports package shocks/struts & springs on my standard car, thus giving
it the ability of a sports package car. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #26
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Yes. They are all interchangeable.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
laconic

thanks lcoleman. The car, then, would behave like one with the sports package? Appreciate your time.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
The sway bars are different for the sport package too, I believe.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
MJLavelle

Yes, there are different sway bars as well in some cases, but if you have a set of sports springs (or buy a set fairly cheap), then you should have no problem adding in Sacs sports shocks to your car. As it was already mentioned above, there is very little different between the regular and the sports set up. If you wanted to get the full experience, you could even get the slightly larger sway bars as well. They would be quite cheap too. It is basically a low cost suspension upgrade.
I would bet that you could find people willing to give you their factory sports springs, if you would just pay the shipping. I can't be the only one who just wanted them out of my garage. Check the classifieds for some factory sway bars for sale as well.

Thanks Icoleman for jumping in to answer his question to me, while I was screwing around sleeping.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #30
TT330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laconic View Post
Friends, I have a 2001 325i with standard suspension. Can I install the springs, struts and shocks that go with the Sports Package? Is there anything else in the package that I am missing? Will it work? Thanks.
You might as well go with the Koni FSD eibach prokit package. Pretty sure it's cheaper than the OE stuff and it'll be a slight improvement over the stock sport without going overboard.
TT330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BeckeR View Post
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...3&autoModClar=

Get the KONI STR.t shocks.

Awesome quality for a stock setup a d they're on sale now.
OP, that's probably your best deal right there. I'm running those same struts on my ZHP which also has the sports suspension. They were a serious improvement over the stock Sachs.

Last edited by Dave1027; 03-22-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Dave1027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
laconic

thank you, all , for your input and advice.