E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #21
jfields44r

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post
FX-R will blow ya mind, especially w/ a 55 watt ballast and 4300 K or 5000 K bulbs. Just only get the 3.0. Earlier models (my v2's) are prone to having a shitty passenger's side cutoff and not perfect like the 3.0's from TRS.
How hard was the modification to the housing to make them fit if you don't mind me asking?
jfields44r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
choegatz

My Ride: 2002 325xi
FX-R Retrofit.

I absolutely advocate the use of these projectors.

The cutoff line is great, crisp and super bright... awesome!
choegatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields44r View Post
How hard was the modification to the housing to make them fit if you don't mind me asking?
I have mine all set and ready to go i'm just waiting for the jb weld to properly set. I aligned them yesterday and over all its was not that hard, the only problem I had was holding the projector in place while the jb weld set, I ended up using zip ties while i applied the jb weld, I should of gone with something more fast setting like jb kwik but you live you learn right.

The modification of the housing was not that hard nothing to it just make sure you cut just enough to get the projector to fit, once it's in you want to mount the housing to the vehicle and see how much rotation is needed to adjust the projector properly. Now make another cut to allow the projector to rotate as needed and go from there.
bernie21614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Quote:
I had them retrofitted for me, but it is some work.

AERA Performance Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
FX-Rs sound good but I heard something like that people were going back to E46 projectors for their long-range output and FX-Rs being too much foreground/wide? or have they updated their projectors since? I think TerraPhntm said this.

If I do FX-Rs here's my questions/concerns:

I have stock Bosch AL Xenon headlights.

1) Do I simply modify my existing headlights to accept the FX-Rs?

2) If so, which FX-Rs? 3.0 w/3" lens or 2.5" lens?

3) Bi-xenon wiring. I need an adapter or something, right?

4) I see from Neil's thread, JB kwik is used to mount the projectors? And screws too?

5) Can I re-use the existing OE shrouds?

6) Will the back of the headlight still be sealed or will the bigger projector bowl be sticking out? Reuse stock seal?

Most people retrofit these in aftermarket P46 headlights.I haven't seen any threads/DIYs where someone hacked stock E46 Xenon lights and retrofitted FX-Rs. links? I'm really terrified of hacking my OE headlights. So I want to be sure.
In my thread, I used jb weld to more or less align the lights. After they were where I wanted them, I went back and screwed them in place. Also, I have done a few retrofits after mine and I would actually recommend to zip-tie the projectors in place. Let me explain why: With zip-ties, you can adjust the rotation of the projectors perfectly. If you get metal zip ties, they will not melt (I don't think regular plastic ones melt either. Not hot enough).

Anyway, I recommend zip ties for projector mounting. Makes things easier and cleaner, as ghetto as it sounds. The problem with bolts, is that there isn't enough material left on the headlight frames after you dremmel them. If you use bolts, you risk cracking the frames.

Cliffs:

Use jb-weld/hot glue for alignment
Follow up with zip ties for final mounting
Or if you have enough material, just use bolts
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #26
bernie21614

Here you go.

QUOTE=Mango
FX-Rs sound good but I heard something like that people were going back to E46 projectors for their long-range output and FX-Rs being too much foreground/wide? or have they updated their projectors since? I think TerraPhntm said this.

Yes you can use your existing headlights you just have to cut alot of the material from the reflective shrouds, I had a extra set that i bought from a forum member on here so I hacked up that one.

I installed the 2.5 but im sure you can do the 3 lens

I don't think so as these soleniod take 12v, the wiring was only needed on oem bi-xenon lights as they utilized a weak ground and a strong ground

4) I see from Neil's thread, JB kwik is used to mount the projectors? And screws too? I used only jb weld and zip ties, no screws. However matt over at TRS uses jb weld steel stick initially to set the projectors in place he then finished with jb weld.

5) Can I re-use the existing OE shrouds? I had the single xenon projector and I could not re-use my old shroud I order the e46-r extended shrouds but ended up having to grind off quite a bit to get it to fit properly so the e46 regular should from TRS be used instead

6) Will the back of the headlight still be sealed or will the bigger projector bowl be sticking out? Reuse stock seal? The projector will stick out quite a bit however I was able to reuse my old seal.

Most people retrofit these in aftermarket P46 headlights.I haven't seen any threads/DIYs where someone hacked stock E46 Xenon lights and retrofitted FX-Rs. links? I'm really terrified of hacking my OE headlights. So I want to be sure.

Last edited by bernie21614; 03-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie21614 View Post
Here you go.

QUOTE=Mango

Yes you can use your existing headlights you just have to cut alot of the material from the reflective shrouds, I had a extra set that i bought from a forum member on here so I hacked up that one.

I installed the 2.5 but im sure you can do the 3 lens

I don't think so as these soleniod take 12v, the wiring was only needed on oem bi-xenon lights as they utilized a weak ground and a strong ground

4) I see from Neil's thread, JB kwik is used to mount the projectors? And screws too? I used only jb weld and zip ties, no screws. However matt over at TRS uses jb weld steel stick initially to set the projectors in place he then finished with jb weld.

5) Can I re-use the existing OE shrouds? I had the single xenon projector and I could not re-use my old shroud I order the e46-r extended shrouds but ended up having to grind off quite a bit to get it to fit properly so the e46 regular should from TRS be used instead

6) Will the back of the headlight still be sealed or will the bigger projector bowl be sticking out? Reuse stock seal? The projector will stick out quite a bit however I was able to reuse my old seal.

From what I've read the FX-R 3.0 is the best lights to get. The only problem is they are larger then the 1.0 and 2.0 version of the lights. I need to do a light retrofit but my concerns are.

1. Messing up my ZKW frames in the cutting process
2. That the wiring will be some nightmarish non-oem working mess
3. That auto leveling won't work anymore.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
bernie21614

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
From what I've read the FX-R 3.0 is the best lights to get. The only problem is they are larger then the 1.0 and 2.0 version of the lights. I need to do a light retrofit but my concerns are.

1. Messing up my ZKW frames in the cutting process
2. That the wiring will be some nightmarish non-oem working mess
3. That auto leveling won't work anymore.
1. buy some spare frames, and do the cutting on those.

2. If you have the single xenon like me all you need is a splitter with a 9005 male(to connect to your high beam light connector) and a 9005 and 9006 female ends(one to your high beam bulb socket and the other connects to your bi-xenon solenoid) im sure TRS will make you some just email them.

3. I don't have auto leveling anymore because:
A: I removed the auto level motor to make room for the igniter
B: I feel that its a useless function
C: my plastic clips that attach the motor to the frames broke when I was putting everything back together.
You can still have the auto level function you'll just have to cut your headlight assembly to make room for the igniter or go with aftermarket ballast

Last edited by bernie21614; 03-30-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: I gave you the wrong connectors, Problem fixed!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
1. buy some spare frames, and do the cutting on those.

2. If you have the single xenon like me all you need is a splitter with a 9006 male(to connect to your high beam light connector) and 2 9006 female ends(one to your high beam bulb socket and the other connects to your bi-xenon solenoid) im sure TRS will make you some just email them.

3. I don't have auto leveling anymore because:
A: I removed the auto level motor to make room for the igniter
B: I feel that its a useless function
C: my plastic clips that attach the motor to the frames broke when I was putting everything back together.
You can still have the auto level function you'll just have to cut your headlight assembly to make room for the igniter or go with aftermarket ballast
That would be sick I'll look into contacting TRS. My lights are bi-xenon Btw so it looks like I need 2 0006 female ends.

I would like to keep the auto leveling function. Shouldn't I have an OEM ballast already? Why would I need to make room for something that I already have?

Last edited by zander271; 03-29-2013 at 05:44 PM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #30
bernie21614

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
That would be sick I'll look into contacting TRS. My lights are bi-xenon Btw so it looks like I need 2 0006 female ends.

I would like to keep the auto leveling function. Shouldn't I have an OEM ballast already? Why would I need to make room for something that I already have?
The OEM ballast has ths igniter externally located, I'm my case it was located right under the projector in the housing so the FXR projector would not fit so I had to relocate the OEM igniter. Aftermarket ballast will have the igniter and ballast in one unit so all you would do is remove the OEM igniter, remove the OEM ballast and install the aftermarket unit.

Last edited by bernie21614; 03-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #31
bernie21614

I listed the wrong splitter connectors needed , I went back and fixed the problem. Here is a link to the splitter you will need
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=9717

its a 9005 male, 9005 and 9006 female end.

The difference in the connectors is minimal and easy to verify which one you have. If you look at your high beam bulb look at the connection if there are 2 nipples coming from the center top then its a 9005 and if there is only one nipple its a 9006. Here is a pic i drew out to give you a visual example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9005 vs 9006.png
Views:	56
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	497923  
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #32
jfields44r

Alright guys. I want to thank all of you for your input on this retrofit decision. I am really excited about doing this once college is out for the summer (in about a month). Special thanks to SolidJake, Mango, neil1138, bernie21614, and BartenderPlease. You guys were very instrumental in helping me make this decision. I have decided to go with the FXR- 3.0 kit from TRS paired with Osram bulbs and Orion V4 angel eyes. Again, thank you to all who responded and thank you to all the E46 Fanatics out there!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #33
bernie21614

Quote:
Alright guys. I want to thank all of you for your input on this retrofit decision. I am really excited about doing this once college is out for the summer (in about a month). Special thanks to SolidJake, Mango, neil1138, bernie21614, and BartenderPlease. You guys were very instrumental in helping me make this decision. I have decided to go with the FXR- 3.0 kit from TRS paired with Osram bulbs and Orion V4 angel eyes. Again, thank you to all who responded and thank you to all the E46 Fanatics out there!
Your welcome, You have chosen a great set up. Make sure you post some pics when your done with your retro
Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
jfields44r

Quote:
Your welcome, You have chosen a great set up. Make sure you post some pics when your done with your retro
I will, no doubt. I'm going to attempt to make a retrofit guide for the setup as well for future fanatics. Thanks again for all your input!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
jfields44r

Actually, i think the V4's will be too bright. I think I might go with V2 opaques.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #37
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
What bulbs will work with the FX-Rs?
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Very easy decision. Mini H1s throw more light closer to the car. FX-R throw less close up, but more further away.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #39
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllrazorlll View Post
what bulbs will work with the fx-rs?
d2s

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #40
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
d2s
Are those 6000Ks?
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote