E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #401
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Wow. Am I the one lost or maybe I am on the wrong page. Look fellas if you plan on flashing custom ecu software to your car go ahead and try using winkfp then. I want to see you do it. If you plan on making it practical for most people to flash their ecu perhaps you can afford shelling out thousands for another ecu although if you were smart you'd just get an ecu ews used pair,but most of us can't afford that. Perhaps I am lost. Don't listen to me, I must be talking nonsense. I'll just sit back and watch you pros handle this.

Lol. On another note, I can't believe 2 Finnish guys, one with 6 the other with 30 posts just told me I'm lost. Lol. This will be fun watching. Like I said, if you keep flashing wildly like that without knowing what you're doing, don't say I didnt warn ya.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 03-23-2013 at 01:59 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #402
NumbaOneNewb

Oh yeah. The ews 3.2 emulator will not work on the ews 3.3. I have the emulator.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #403
NumbaOneNewb

One more thing. I'm surprised the guys who made great breakthrough on custom ecu tuning for the m3 haven't hopped on the non m band wagon. Perhaps they don't have a non m to read ecu data or one to experiment on but if they actually wanted to make money, they should make one for non Ms. I bet you most of the data between the 2 are very similar. It might not even take much of an effort to transfer what they know on over and apply to our cars. Plus the customer pool to draw frok would be exponentially larger. I also would expect that they would also see that most M owners would prefer to pay and have professional software on their cars. If they can afford an M, they can afford the real thing. They're probably too afraid to be flashing non reputable software to their precious cars, or at least I would. Most M owners if they were really serious end up going forced induction anyways. This minor ecu remapping stuff would be much more for us non Ms.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #404
karitammi

My Ride: 325 (E46) Cabrio
Quote:
I'm surprised the guys who made great breakthrough on custom ecu tuning for the m3 haven't hopped on the non m band wagon.
I've been hoping and wondering the same. All the necessary knowhow is there. I believe no problem. Similar breakthrough as with M3 and MS45 probably waits for active individual who is capable to take the lead and collect conributions. Unfortunately I'm not clever enough for that position, but would be willing to contribute. Who else is willing?

I'm writing a type collection of knowhow about MS43 scattered in different forums. I hope I get it ready soon and it would help to inspire a talent.
karitammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #405
NumbaOneNewb

I'll opt for the easier route. Just keep begging one of them to recognize us perhaps not as equals, but as pieces to a puzzle. They can claim to be fast and bada$$ all they want but we, the non Ms, make up the bulk of the e46 population . We are the definition of e46. We are what advertise the body style and make the m3 body that more desirable. Were like foreplay.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 03-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #406
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
I'll opt for the easier route. Just keep begging one of them to recognize us perhaps not as equals, but as pieces to a puzzle. They can claim to be fast and bada$$ all they want but we, the non Ms, make up the bulk of the e46 population . We are the definition of e46. We are what advertise the body style and make the m3 body that more desirable. Were like foreplay.
... main issue is none of us have non-M and we all work on this in our spare time without any financial incentives. Non-M guys can start researching the non-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
to be honest, i wouldnīt trust an ebay seller. and specially i wouldnīt trust him when he states more then once, that he canīt test the hardware.

MS43 is always EWS4.x and canīt be deleted. if you find some emulator whos able to unlock EWS4.x iīm willing to buy it. but unfortunally there are many people wanting such an emulator and they are waiting long time
They're EWS 3.3/4.3. EWS 4.3 is identical to EWS 3.3 but with simplified circuitry. It's not the same as the EWS 4 found in most-bus BMWs. We've got a (mostly) working EWS delete on the M3, should be doable on the non-Ms too

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-28-2013 at 02:38 PM.
TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #407
NumbaOneNewb

There you go guys. One of the pioneers himself. This guy spearheaded many of the few unexplored frontiers left for our cars. I understand it would be pointless for you Ms to dabble with the non Ms since you don't have one to tinker with, and I also read that you guys said doing our cars may be tougher than yours since bmw foresaw that custom ecu mapping would've been inevitable with the Ms.

I think they neglected and underestimated the non Ms, plus we were always seen as the middle child so to speak. I'm sure the pattern within the binary codes can't be too different between our cars. It's not like it's in another language right? Knowing bmw, they more than likely made things simple for themselves. I bet they just placed the binary hex data in different places that's all.

As we continue to debate and ponder this option, those aftermarket guys with pockets full of money to back their research up are continuing to snuff you DIY guys who probably meant all of this as a means to benefit each other, yet the results aren't there are they? It's because the guys who can afford those custom tunes aren't going to chance it on doing it themselves. They'll just fork over the cash to have the shops do it.

However if you come up with one for non Ms and it takes off, your credibility will be staggering and people will acknowledge your research. Help us help you.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 04-30-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #408
TerraPhantm

I took a brief look at MS42 and MS43 code a little while ago. It actually is a fair bit more complicated. The various maps and curves aren't as cleanly separated, and there are just more of them to go through. For example, there seemed to be multiple throttle maps for different octane fuels, and there appear to be a lot more modifiers for those maps. Same goes for torque maps, vanos timing, ignition timing, etc...

It's not impossible to figure out... but without having a test-bed to actually manipulate, one can only go so far.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 04-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #409
NumbaOneNewb

I'm sure I can gather up a few guinea pigs to step up. The folks I service are bold ones, eager for fine tuning. Would you be willing to aid us in our cause? Perhaps take our common goals and combine them together? We can both help each other out and in reality, we are all on the same team. Our goal is to provide knowledge to all owners, the drive is for the love of our e46s.

In all other topics on our cars, everybody pitches in and helps. We should be no different. But yes, I can assure you I will have plenty of varieties for you to study. Just ask for whatever you need to help you in this and I'm sure many will jump in without me even asking.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #410
NumbaOneNewb

But the aftermarket tuners already have a large headstart, but not st all impossible to dominate them because of our sheer numbers. This could easily blow up exponentially. I understand this will take time and it will take away from your personal time but you and the M guys have so much of the knowledge already that it'd be more practical for you to assist on that end instead of teaching one of us. Plus whatever discovery you make is yours to keep.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #411
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
dude....stop acting like you deserve the tune....or time commitment that is needed for such an en-devour.

"
I think they neglected and underestimated the non Ms, plus we were always seen as the middle child so to speak. I'm sure the pattern within the binary codes can't be too different between our cars. It's not like it's in another language right? Knowing bmw, they more than likely made things simple for themselves. I bet they just placed the binary hex data in different places that's all. "

"I understand it would be pointless for you Ms to dabble with the non Ms since you don't have one to tinker with, and I also read that you guys said doing our cars may be tougher than yours since bmw foresaw that custom ecu mapping would've been inevitable with the Ms."

I think they neglected and underestimated the non Ms, plus we were always seen as the middle child so to speak. I'm sure the pattern within the binary codes can't be too different between our cars. It's not like it's in another language right? Knowing bmw, they more than likely made things simple for themselves. I bet they just placed the binary hex data in different places that's all. "

your posts are like a bratty child. I used to have a 330 so dont give that middle age child crap on me.

" I also would expect that they would also see that most M owners would prefer to pay and have professional software on their cars. If they can afford an M, they can afford the real thing. They're probably too afraid to be flashing non reputable software to their precious cars, or at least I would. Most M owners if they were really serious end up going forced induction anyways. This minor ecu remapping stuff would be much more for us non Ms."

you are basing your conjectures through what....your hypothesis? do you even know how different CSL and normal M3 tunes are... we are having trouble with those already.

these people are working on their free time. have some respect for their time and effort.
orrr you can start yourself...if you know how "similiar" they are...

S54 isn't even done yet...jesus christ.

children

god damn i just keep reading this again and again. M owners have nothing against non-Ms. just that you guys have ur own ECU and stuff. work on it yourselves. stop whining.

and..i think they know what they are talking about...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=423771

Last edited by omhl; 05-07-2013 at 04:04 AM.
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #412
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Is there still something going on here? what about the possibility to unlock the ews? any progress?

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #413
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Is there still something going on here? what about the possibility to unlock the ews? any progress?
On the M3 side yes, but there are a couple potentially dangerous bugs that need to be worked out before posting publicly.

Even without a delete though, it's really easy to copy the EWS tables from one DME to another (at least for the MSS54). If I could get a few matching EWS and DME dumps, I think I can figure out how to port any arbitrary set of EWS codes over (basically what RPM Motorsport does)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-14-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #414
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by omhl View Post
dude....stop acting like you deserve the tune....or time commitment that is needed for such an en-devour.

"

"I understand it would be pointless for you Ms to dabble with the non Ms since you don't have one to tinker with, and I also read that you guys said doing our cars may be tougher than yours since bmw foresaw that custom ecu mapping would've been inevitable with the Ms."

your posts are like a bratty child. I used to have a 330 so dont give that middle age child crap on me.

" I also would expect that they would also see that most M owners would prefer to pay and have professional software on their cars. If they can afford an M, they can afford the real thing. They're probably too afraid to be flashing non reputable software to their precious cars, or at least I would. Most M owners if they were really serious end up going forced induction anyways. This minor ecu remapping stuff would be much more for us non Ms."

you are basing your conjectures through what....your hypothesis? do you even know how different CSL and normal M3 tunes are... we are having trouble with those already.

these people are working on their free time. have some respect for their time and effort.
orrr you can start yourself...if you know how "similiar" they are...

S54 isn't even done yet...jesus christ.

children

god damn i just keep reading this again and again. M owners have nothing against non-Ms. just that you guys have ur own ECU and stuff. work on it yourselves. stop whining.

and..i think they know what they are talking about...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=423771
This.

NumbaOneNewb:

I have nothing against non-Ms or their owners. I actually used to own a 330i and really loved that car. But there are some things you need to understand:

The vast majority of us working on the S54 are not engineers of any discipline, let alone automotive or electrical engineers. My own expertise is in the biological sciences. The only thing our group has in common is an interest in tuning the E46 M3. The progress we've made is pretty rapid especially considering we have no stolen maps from any commercial entity. There's still a very long way to go.

I am a college student earning very little money and spending most of it on necessities. The rest of it goes towards fixing this car. I don't have the luxury to go FI or even pay for a tune. That's why I'm researching this stuff, and that's why I researched all of the non-DME coding stuff ages ago. I do this in my spare time, and as of late, I haven't had much spare time. That doesn't mean I'm not serious about my car or driving. But I'm doing about as much as I can.

There was no organized effort to "neglect" the owners of any other platform. There is no unifying language to these things; it's all in binary. If the ECU belongs to a different family, then there will be very little in common. Maps can be identified, but it's impossible to magically know what those maps are for and how they are factored with other maps and values. We did expand our efforts to the E39 M5 (and to a lesser extent the E36 M3), but that's only because their ECUs are extremely similar to ours. The M3 DME essentially is an M5 DME with two cylinders disabled. So our knowledge is applicable to them and vice versa. As omhl says, even with extremely similar ECUs, transferring knowledge is easier said than done. The CSL DME is proving to be more complex than we realized, and no documentation exists in the public domain. That leaves us to disassembling... something that very few people can do well. I'm not one of them.

BMW themselves does not program these DMEs in binary. They have tools that allow them to create/define new maps, edit them with a clean interface, and make changes even with the car running. That information is "translated" into machine code/binary every time they compile the code. They don't care what the low-level "language" is; at the high level, it's all the same regardless. This is why map and feature locations change from version to version -- because they're not programming the ECUs at that binary level directly.

That said, BMW does also have tools that define the locations of all maps and features and store them in a file called a DAMOS or A2L. They probably generated such lists for every MSS5x variant (public or not), and have them stored on some server. During development, that information is pretty helpful when debugging. For aftermarket tuners, that information is very helpful in actually getting started and figuring out what functions perform what tasks. Many of these documents do end up leaking out (for any manufacturer). The vast majority are sold gray market for several figures. Occasionally such a document might actually get leaked to the internet, as did with that A2L we're all working with for the S54. Of course most of the functions and maps are labeled using engineering short hands, in German at that. And knowing the names does not help one determine what information is integrated together.

Anyway this is a long post to explain some of the "background" and help correct your assessment of the situation. If non-M owners are serious about tuning their cars, then I suggest starting an organized effort like we did and working together. I do believe there are MS42, MS43, and MS45 DAMOS' floating out there. Since the non-M userbase is larger, you guys can probably recruit a ton more people too. Within a few months, you might have enough knowledge down to do some basic tuning. The only reason this has not happened in the past is because most people prefer to simply keep any knowledge uncovered proprietary and sell their services. But with a large enough effort, you'll find some genuinely interest folks who just want to help the community. I (and other interested M3 guys) will help out where possible, but we won't be able to contribute a whole lot.

I also want to note that it will be a while before being able to tune the car well, let alone develop a reliable tune for FI applications. This is a slow process with a very steep learning curve. That's why tunes are so expensive though vendors.

Good luck

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 05-14-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #415
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Gents,

I believe most of the people that "could" build maps, are currently involved in other projects that pay. For example, there is a new generation of aftermarket ECU on the horizon that offers a huge amount of integration and programming flexibility; that is where most of the people I know are spending their time.

If I wanted to put hundreds of hours into something, I would be starting with one of these new platforms.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #416
jony787

My Ride: 318ti M52tu SWAP
Ms43!!!!

I have everything to tune a ms43. Bins with checksums corrected. Also all the maps, constants needed to adjust almost everything. I have been working alone for months to unlock this dme. I tuned a 325i and we got 182whp put of it. No modifications. Im willing to share my knowledge. I can turn post o2 off for headers, rpm limit to 7200 to any ms43. My time is priceless but im willing to share my stuff for donations, parts or tuned files so i can continue my research. My dream is to offer custom tunes so cheap that people can boost their cars without spending 5000 or more in a kit.
jony787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #417
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jony787 View Post
I have everything to tune a ms43. Bins with checksums corrected. Also all the maps, constants needed to adjust almost everything. I have been working alone for months to unlock this dme. I tuned a 325i and we got 182whp put of it. No modifications. Im willing to share my knowledge. I can turn post o2 off for headers, rpm limit to 7200 to any ms43. My time is priceless but im willing to share my stuff for donations, parts or tuned files so i can continue my research. My dream is to offer custom tunes so cheap that people can boost their cars without spending 5000 or more in a kit.
Have you gotten around the problem of the stock DME locking up after about 12 or so flashes?

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #418
jony787

My Ride: 318ti M52tu SWAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
Have you gotten around the problem of the stock DME locking up after about 12 or so flashes?
That will happen only with winkfp. When you use the galletto 1260 you will pull just the needed bytes to tune. The count stays the same. Im doing more research on that but there is no need to flash with winkfp once you have the partial dump.
jony787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #419
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
it even wonīt happen with winkfp if you unable the aif functions.

share what you have so far and if its better then hakenttīs xdf files i will share virginized ms43 dumps

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #420
NumbaOneNewb

My mistake terra.never took you for such a deep thinker. I apologize for stirring up any unnecessary hatred amongst one another. Much of what I know I picked up by reading your work. I've read much of your trials and experiments. You inspire me to do the same. Once again I apologize

Tags
custom tuning, dme tuning, flashing, kwp2000