E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,573
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I vote vacuum leak as well. Time to smoke test.

I don't remember if I said this earlier or not but have you checked the intake air temp sensor o-ring? It's hidden pretty far in there and might be the source of your leak. Also, spray the temp sensor with a shot of MAF cleaner spray while you have it out.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-22-2013 at 11:20 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
I think i will be performing a smoke test. I'm reading online that people have been able to use the party store smoke machines to do the test. Is this a safe way to go about it?
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Whatever piece is between the brake booster line and the intake seems to be letting smoke out. I pulled the brake booster hose from the brake booster and am blowing toward the engine. Would that cause my issue?
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Here is more information on the part I am referring to:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=578766
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
White_Knuckles
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 1,595
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Yeah, any smoke is "safe". I got a kick out of a guy on YouTube using a cigar and coffee can contraption, whatever works. I'd quit squirting carb cleaner around. It's a nasty solvent and may damage rubber stuff. Get starting fluid or propane and watch the idle leap up when a leak is sprayed. If you spot smoke, retest the area spraying a known combustion booster.

So you're inserting smoke into the booster line "blowing toward the engine". You see smoke rolling out of the vac amp and are asking the cause? Well, the cause may be a split plastic seam or damaged amp unit? If smoke is getting out then air is sucking in. Verify spraying that thing under idle. Use a flexible hose like from a vacuum cleaner, hold one end on your ear and listen for sucking sounds moving the other end around suspect areas. You're looking for a pretty major leak here not a micro crack. Move the hose around and listen to several areas. Then back to the smoke, injecting it in various spots looking to almost pressurize the engine vac system. That bugger has got to rear his head!
__________________
Anything made can be made Better
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Yeah, any smoke is "safe". I got a kick out of a guy on YouTube using a cigar and coffee can contraption, whatever works. I'd quit squirting carb cleaner around. It's a nasty solvent and may damage rubber stuff. Get starting fluid or propane and watch the idle leap up when a leak is sprayed. If you spot smoke, retest the area spraying a known combustion booster.

So you're inserting smoke into the booster line "blowing toward the engine". You see smoke rolling out of the vac amp and are asking the cause? Well, the cause may be a split plastic seam or damaged amp unit? If smoke is getting out then air is sucking in. Verify spraying that thing under idle. Use a flexible hose like from a vacuum cleaner, hold one end on your ear and listen for sucking sounds moving the other end around suspect areas. You're looking for a pretty major leak here not a micro crack. Move the hose around and listen to several areas. Then back to the smoke, injecting it in various spots looking to almost pressurize the engine vac system. That bugger has got to rear his head!
I just verified. In fact, the smoke comes from between the brake booster line and the sucking jet pump. seems the clamp has given up.

Last edited by basketthis; 03-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
White_Knuckles
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 1,595
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Hmmmm, could this be the "sucker"? Toss a stainless worm screw hose clamp on there, clear your codes and hope for gold!

I checked out that logger software and it seems like a great deal for features. Wish the seller had PayPal but will order it anyway. I got a bonus out of all this!! Thanks.
__________________
Anything made can be made Better
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Hmmmm, could this be the "sucker"? Toss a stainless worm screw hose clamp on there, clear your codes and hope for gold!

I checked out that logger software and it seems like a great deal for features. Wish the seller had PayPal but will order it anyway. I got a bonus out of all this!! Thanks.
I used PayPal to pay for BMWLogger.
I'll be replacing the house should I be able to source one today.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
White_Knuckles
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 1,595
My Ride: 2003 325xi
So you think the hose is split not a clamp issue? Cut that thing down a little and clamp with a screw style. Thanks on the PayPal tip, I only spotted a list of Credit Cards. That is a neat product and certainly priced right compared to big-buck versions out there. Did you get the Amazon cable he recommends?
__________________
Anything made can be made Better
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
basketthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 299
My Ride: state to state
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
So you think the hose is split not a clamp issue? Cut that thing down a little and clamp with a screw style. Thanks on the PayPal tip, I only spotted a list of Credit Cards. That is a neat product and certainly priced right compared to big-buck versions out there. Did you get the Amazon cable he recommends?
Turns out the hose is just old and firm enough to leave a gap between it and the nipple that it slides onto. No matter how much I tighten the clamp... Went ahead and ordered a new sucking jet pump with hoses and the new fittings for the brake booster. In the meantime, I put electrical tape where I believed it to be leaking. What a difference! When stopping, the car doesn't vibrate to a stop now. I used to think that I just broke in my pads incorrectly and was going to deal with it until next beale pad change. Turns out it was a pretty interesting vacuum leak causing the pulsing while braking. can't wait to get my new parts on and have this solved!
I ordered the "triumph obd2 cable" because it definitely has the ftdi chip that is needed to use the interface between the vehicle and your laptop. Seems other cables are hit or miss. I forked over 10 more dollars for the peace of mind that I was receiving the right item the first time. No troubleshooting. No gimmicks.
basketthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use