E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #401
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
guys, u DONT need an elevator bolt.. just a regular hex bolt will do, thats how i did mine. with a smaller rubber "gripper". the clutch pedal goes down in one spot, a hex bolt is enough, u dont really need a 1.5 inch wide surface for this
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #402
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
^That worked most of the time but every once and a while you'll aggressively clutch and the pedal will slip to the side. Many of my friends who drove experienced that and thought the clutch gave out...LOL.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #403
brandonwish

My Ride: 02 325i 5MT
Bringing this thread back to life. Just did this on my 04 330xi and works beautifully. Shifting is delightful now Will be doing CDV delete next! Thanks!

|||2002 325i 5MT|||
brandonwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #404
MadLow

My Ride: 2004 330CI
just put two grippers on top of the stock clutch stop...such a huge difference wow
MadLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #405
So Slow

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLow View Post
just put two grippers on top of the stock clutch stop...such a huge difference wow
thats all i used was two, thinking about going with one more but so far everything is on point!

next: cdv, tranny flush and new bushing with ssk.
So Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #406
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
So my car doesnt have a factory clutch stop - I looked down there and there is a small hole, I bought a 3/8 bolt but it seems -way- to big for the size of the hole. Any ideas?
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #407
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
Wow glad to see this thread is still live and well! You won't believe it as I haven't had a BMW in a few years but I just was looking for something in my tools and found ANOTHER brand new elevator bolt.... only problem is this is a 2" one instead of the 1 1/2" so you will have to cut it to length... but some lucky person who isn't lazy is gonna get this cheap because I don't wanna deal with the hassle of selling it for a profit... so whoever wants this AND a gripper for $5 SHIPPED its yours.... I don't get on this board anymore so just send me an email.... at my username on here AT yahoo.com (the 0 in my username is a zero not the letter o)... I take paypal and you can see by my rating on here and every other board that I'm legit... I ship stuff every day so if you get me the money before 10am central it will ship same day... question is who wants it?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #408
wolrah

My Ride: 2002 325i MT
Just popping in to say I finally got around to doing this today and holy crap does it ever make the car better. The stock plastic one snapped in half years ago and I had been too lazy to do anything about it until recently a few friends of mine drove my car and all were pretty bad with the clutch since it had so much useless travel. Now it's only a bit of movement before it starts to bite, exactly how I hoped.

I have to retrain myself a bit with fast shifts though since I was used to the long travel and had a habit of beginning to let the pedal back out as I'm still moving the stick. That doesn't work anymore.

The remnants of the plastic shaft were pretty stubborn and wouldn't come out even with a bolt remover. I ended up accidentally drilling right through it with the bolt remover and had to pull chunks out with pliers, but once that was out I didn't even have to shave down the gripper. I just screwed it in as much as I could by hand and it works perfectly. The car starts without complaint and cruise disengages as expected. At some point I might get a lock nut and see how much I can back the stopper out before it starts causing trouble, but for now this is a million times better than it was.

You guys were right about only being able to find the elevator bolt at Lowes. I spent about an hour at Home Depot and had two employees there wondering aloud why they didn't stock anything like this, plus tried the local Tractor Supply, before giving up and driving a few towns over to the Lowes and finding everything I needed in about five minutes.
Electronics: Passport 8500 X50, DICE HD, Cobra 29 NW/WX/ST + Larsen NMO27B, Yaesu VX-7R + no-name 2M/70cm NMO
wolrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #409
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Does this wear out your clutch quicker?

I have a 02 330XI and I find that my shifts at times are jerky. So I found this and this seems to climate that dead space in the clutch travel.

So I can get a plastic elevator bolt from canadian tire and use that? I am in Canada so there is no Lowes around..
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #410
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Couldn't find elevator bolts.. Used a 3/8" x 1-1/2" carriage bolt. 3- 7/16s washers and then a nut to tighten the washers against the carriage bolt head.

Used another nut below to tighten the actual stopper in behind the clutch. Then used some velcro that was sticky on one site and put it on the carriage bolt head/washers as the felt not to hear the metal on metal tap when engaging clutch.

Works perfect! Night and day difference!!! Total cost $1.20 at home depot

Last edited by jeepo23; 12-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #411
Tony3series

My Ride: 2003 325Ci (5-speed)
Just did this today using same advice in original post. Literally took 5 minutes to get supplies from Lowes, and like he said about 30 seconds to remove old clutch stop and screw in the new one. Awesome, cheap, high impact mod!
Tony3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #412
jonwrong

My Ride: 2002 325i
I just want to say that I have had my E46 for a couple of weeks, and the clutch seriously annoyed me. I knew I would get to finding a solution sooner or later. I bought the hardware described by the original poster, and this is the BEST mod I have done to the car! I can't believe how many people waste money on a commercially made stop for the car. This DIY is amazing!
jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #413
tschank

My Ride: 325it
Just purchased my e46 2 days ago and this will be my first mod. I've read the entire thread and can't believe there was only one mention of McMaster Carr for the elevator bolt. You can get a metric elevator bolt. Only problem is they come in packs of 10. The correct tread is M10, which has a pitch of 1.5mm. In english its .394 -17/inch the 3/8 bolt is .375-16/inch. So the threaded hole in your floorboard is slightly larger and that is why it can be off by 1 thread/inch. I don't think it will make a big difference but it would be good to actually put the right tread in there. Here's the elevator bolt.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/93226a360/=h5jx7n

I plan on making it adjustable so I would order the 35mm length (1.37 in length) and then add a m10 to lock it in place.

I'm going to swing by the hardware store tomorrow and if they don't have the 3/8 elevator I'll just order a pack from McMaster and update how it goes.
tschank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #414
Gross328i

My Ride: '99 328i
On my 99 328i I had to cut half an inch off to engage the switch, but other than that, good to go. Quicker shifting for this guy.
Gross328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #415
evo7

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Does this wear out your clutch quicker?
anyone got answer for this?
evo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #416
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo7 View Post
anyone got answer for this?
Yes.

No it does not wear the clutch prematurely... humans do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #417
Mr.Miller

My Ride: Bmw m3
i need one so bad
Mr.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #418
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
I went to my local store and they only had 3/8 x1 and 2/8 x 2. I got both of them AKA either one would work. Did anyone tell me if either one could work? Or does it have to be exactly 1 1/2?

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #419
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
This will not interfere with the cruise control.

I have been using this clutch stop for 3 years now.

I did notice towards the end of the life of the clutch, I had to remove the clutch stop because the shifts became difficult, as the SAC adjusted too low, and prevented the clutch from disengaging.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #420
bryan767

My Ride: 325i
04' 325i sport

Bought:
1x M10 - 1.5 pitch - 40mm bolt
1x 1 1/2 rubber bushing (found a drawer of these at ace)
2x 1 1/2 washers
2x M10 nuts
1x pack of rubber self adhesive 1 1/2 circles

Order of installation:
Take the bolt and put one washer on the shaft, then the rubber bushing, another washer and then two nuts. Tighten the nuts all the way down by hand.

Now install:
My car didnt have a clutch stop originally, it was some plastic carpet tie down thing that was nearly flat (maybe the original broke off?) that I pulled out and then screwed this in. Tighten all the way down by hand. I bought two nuts because I was planning on untightenting the bolt to extend the stop out further, using the nuts to keep it in place but I feel like the current position with the two nuts in as "space washers" gives the correct distance.

Final thought:
I did not have any issues starting the car and the clutch pedal distance was reduced greatly and honestly made it feel much more firm. Also you could use a rubber chair cap that is 1" instead of the rubber adhesive pads. You'll have to cut it down but it'll look alot better and hide the entire bolt
bryan767 is offline   Reply With Quote