E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #401
Joe C.

My Ride: 2001 330i\sport pack
I just did this with only my ONE non working key fob.

I ended up soldering the negative prong, of the new battery, into the board and bent the positive prong strait. I reused the positive prong from the old battery, because it was all ready off the old battery. I did solder the positive prong to the battery too.

I went through the steps to reprogram using the non working key fob and it worked after resetting.

No need for two key fobs... Yah!!!!!
Joe C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #402
TitanSilverE46

My Ride: 2001 318i & 325i
Bought a 2001 318i just prior to Christmas ... neither key had a working remote. Did the sync and got one key working After a few weeks happened to drop the working key and it stopped working. No amount of resyncing would get it going. Yesterday it dropped 3ft off a shelf onto the bench. Just happened to try the remote and it works again

Treating it very cautiously now but it sounds like I have a loose battery connection to the board. If it fails again I might try opening it up.

I have ordered two VL2020-HF and will have a go at the non-working key first.

For Australian fanatics, Globe Battery Sales in Sydney have the correct rechargeable VL2020-1HFE for $A6.11 each.

For my DIY see first link under my sig ... New Key for Old

Last edited by TitanSilverE46; 02-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.
TitanSilverE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #403
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
Going to be doing this later in the week, I apologize for bringing an old thread back to life. But you just saved me near $200-250. I really appreciate it man. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #404
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
I don't know how the heck you all are slicing the key fob open. Not only is it really hard, I don't have a vice or anything. Pretty sure I'll slice my finger off, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #405
Cooltool786

My Ride: BMW 325xi
Sorry for waking up an old thread, but doesn't this battery's leads match up exactly like the key? It's made by Panasonic, uses the same type of lithium pentoxide, so in theory it should work!
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=230944967379
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PANASONIC-...item5aef193573
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Cooltool786; 03-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Cooltool786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #406
Cooltool786

My Ride: BMW 325xi
And why can't we just take the negative lead on the new battery(vl2020) off and solder it back on to the position where it lines up with the negative terminal? That way you would not need a wire to go from the battery to the board

Last edited by Cooltool786; 03-24-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Cooltool786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #407
TitanSilverE46

My Ride: 2001 318i & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltool786 View Post
Sorry for waking up an old thread, but doesn't this battery's leads match up exactly like the key? It's made by Panasonic, uses the same type of lithium pentoxide, so in theory it should work!
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=230944967379
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PANASONIC-...item5aef193573
The first eBay link has the pin positions that we need. The pins need to be at 90 degrees while all the VL2020 batteries you could buy were at 0 degrees or 180 degress (the one I used). You will see that the eBay battery is a ML2020 and not a VL2020.

According to the Panasonic specs below, both are supposed to be rechargable but I don't know how the Magnesium/Lithium battery would perform in our key fobs compared with the Vanadium Pentoxide. Up until now I have never seen the VL2020 in a 90 degree form.
Magnesium /Lithium specs (ML2020)
Vanadium Pentoxide specs (VL2020)

It is not advisable to solder directly to the battery as this could ruin it. Solder to the tag and run the lead as in the link under my sig.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #408
nammyczc

My Ride: 325i
is there anyway to replace the battery without soldering? I'm not very confident in that part of the diy
nammyczc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #409
IROCa325

My Ride: 90Z/02 525i/03 325i
Did this DIY over a month ago using the PANASONIC ML2020 (the Magnesium/Lithium one) from ebay, the pin position fits the circuit board perfectly. The charge was a little low on the battery at first, but it took a charge in a couple days and has worked perfectly since! Soldering the battery in is easy compared to cutting the key open, but it's all well worth the effort to have your keyless entry back for an hour of time and 9 bucks.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #410
Grease_Monkey

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Update!!!

FOR THOSE WHO CARE!!!!

I believe its been over a full year and some change since I have walked into Frys electronics, and bought a 2020 battery for my Key(energizer). Went home and The only thing I did was take the old one out, LITERALLY slip in the new one, NOT SOLDER, THEN SUPER GLUE THE FACK out of the edges and clamp overnight.. AND TO THIS DAY~ she works like a charm!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #411
barnhill9586

My Ride: '03 330Cic
Just completed this DIY on my one and only key last night. I was pretty sure I was going to break something trying to pry the old battery out but it finally broke loose. I did not solder the new battery back in. It looks like there is no room for it to move around and I have never used a solder gun so my attempts were all fails. Finally I just gave up and glued it back together. Works great and I didn't need to reprogram anything.

'03 330Cic
barnhill9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #412
DTB

My Ride: 325CiC 2005
Key FOB battery replacement - revisited

I just replaced the battery in the key to my 2005 325 CIC.

Just as others have said, xacto knife was helpful to cut the seam apart and open the key like a clam.

Then I customized the battery terminal position by bending one terminal back upon itself and soldering a short piece of copper wire.

The replacement battery from Mouser Electronic came with terminals at 12 and 6 o'clock (180 degrees opposed). The original battery has terminals at 12 and 3 o'clock (90 degrees apart). But modifying the battery with a piece of wire worked easily. I used super glue to glue the key halves back together.

Mouser Electronics
Panasonic VL2020-1HF (3V 20mAH 2 PIN HORZ)

Last edited by DTB; 06-22-2013 at 10:37 PM.
DTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #413
DTB

My Ride: 325CiC 2005
Key FOB battery replacement - revisited

I just replaced the battery in the key to my 2005 325 CIC.

Just as others have said, xacto knife was helpful to cut the seam apart and open the key like a clam.

Then I customized the battery terminal position by bending one terminal back upon itself and soldering a short piece of copper wire.

The replacement battery from Mouser Electronic came with terminals at 12 and 6 o'clock (180 degrees opposed). The original battery has terminals at 12 and 3 o'clock (90 degrees apart). But modifying the battery with a piece of wire worked easily.

Here are some pictures:

DTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #414
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSilverE46 View Post
The first eBay link has the pin positions that we need. The pins need to be at 90 degrees while all the VL2020 batteries you could buy were at 0 degrees or 180 degress (the one I used). You will see that the eBay battery is a ML2020 and not a VL2020.

According to the Panasonic specs below, both are supposed to be rechargable but I don't know how the Magnesium/Lithium battery would perform in our key fobs compared with the Vanadium Pentoxide. Up until now I have never seen the VL2020 in a 90 degree form.
Magnesium /Lithium specs (ML2020)
Vanadium Pentoxide specs (VL2020)

It is not advisable to solder directly to the battery as this could ruin it. Solder to the tag and run the lead as in the link under my sig.
Absolutely right. The top link is the correct battery. In my case my battery died and needed replacement. It is as plug and play as is possible. The hardest part is not the soldering but getting the fob open. Take your time and use a new razor blade, be careful and always score the seam pushing the knife away from your fingers. The cleaner the cut the easier it will be to glue back together. Once open use a fine tip soldering iron and from the opposite side of the battery place tip of iron on battery soldering points. As solder melts pull away battery from circuit board. Once battery is removed align tabs of new battery into the same slots, you should not require any more solder than what is already there. One at a time place iron back onto circuit board points and terminals will slip right in. Make sure that final product has battery flush with circuit board so that fob cover fits nice. I taped mine together and tested. if necessary reprogram fob using the pos 2 for 1 sec and the unlock/ lock method. It really could not be any easier.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #415
VirtualWalker

My Ride: 318i -02
If i get a new battery and it comes shipped empty/uncharged. Will it be enough to drive some time with that key to get charged before sync or do i need to precharge the battery in some way??
VirtualWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #416
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
A new battery will have plenty of charge to do the sync process. Because of that be careful not to short it out. They don't come flat.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #417
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
$690 for a new FOB from BMW Sydney (Canterbury for the locals). I'll be buying a battery on the weekend.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #418
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR7 View Post
$690 for a new FOB from BMW Sydney (Canterbury for the locals).
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #419
MCM97

My Ride: 01 325Ci
My remote has been slowly "dying" and it's getting worse by the day. I found a sonicare base and will try that and report back. I've heard some urban legends about this and will report back
MCM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #420
anonymous_coward

My Ride: 2000 320Ci
MAJOR KUDOS to the OP for attempting this DIY in the first place and to all those who have contributed to this thread since!!!

For the first time in the three years that I have owned my E46, I now have remote locking/unlocking! The remote functionality on the original (and only) key didn't work when I took delivery of the vehicle and the only BMW stealership in my state wanted in excess of AUD$750 (incl. tax) for a new fob. Although this didn't work out to be a quick and easy DIY, the cost saving compared to purchasing a new key was well worth the effort.

Just thought Iíd share a few things I've learned while attempting this DIY:

1. I cannot reiterate enough how important it is to be VERY CAREFUL when cutting open the key fob. Despite best efforts, I still ended up knocking loose one of the capacitors (little cubic elements) on the PCB inside the key fob. Luckily I was able to solder the element back on (which was no easy task in itself). Well, at least I avoided cutting myself.

2. Use a volt-meter to test the existing battery, before purchasing a new battery and attempting the installation. In my case, there was nothing wrong with the existing battery. When I tested the original battery, it came back with a reading of almost 4V (this was shortly after a 9 hour interstate drive). Itís also worthwhile measuring the voltage across the battery with one of the buttons pressed (i.e. ascertaining the voltage drop when in operation). You may need an extra pair of hands to accomplish this test. A large voltage drop (>40%) could indicate a faulty battery.

3. If you are confident that your original battery is not the culprit, then it is likely that there are dry / cracked joints on the PCB. This was certainly the root cause of my remote locking/unlocking functions not working. I note that there were no cracks visible on the solder joints (even when viewed under a magnifying glass), so donít assume that the soldering is intact based on visual inspection. This failure mechanism makes sense, because of the impact forces that the key fob is subjected to, every time you drop your keys. Electronics donít take too kindly to repeated impact forces. I had my dad re-solder the joints on the majority of the electrical components on the PCB (he works with micro-electronics and has the steady hands, soldering and optical equipment required for the task). The remote locking/unlocking functionality came back after that! No reprogramming required. I now have a spare Panasonic VL2020 batteryÖ

4. If you do have to replace the battery, try to minimize the amount of heating you apply to the battery. Applying too much heat with a soldering iron for a prolonged period of time can destroy the replacement battery. My guess is that it is for this reason that the original battery is spot welded to the contacts (i.e. application of very localized heating). If this is your first time attempting soldering of electronics, this may not be the DIY for you.

5. The car will not start without the PCB inside the key fob. Iím guessing this is a BMW security feature and is associated with the induction coil (squiggly set of lines on the PCB closest to the metal component of the key). Again, very important not to damage this part of the PCB when cutting the key fob open.

6. Be careful in selecting the superglue to reseal the key fob. Thereís anecdotal evidence of vapors from some superglues corroding PCBís and electrical components.

Merry Christmas!
anonymous_coward is offline   Reply With Quote