E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.38 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #21
ZHP6

My Ride: M6
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the clarification.
ZHP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP6 View Post
Is there a way to swap those in as well, or do you need the E46 M3 subframe? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to get at least 7 degrees of caster with camber plates and a few mods.
I've done exactly that. Front subframe was left stock (it's already the same part number as the M3).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=487

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge

Last edited by cyberkaa; 02-11-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360605185
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
I've done exactly that. Front subframe was left stock (it's already the same part number as the M3).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=487
not that it matters for the info of swaps. but although the front subframe may be the same mounting points. the M3 uses the stronger front subframe from the convertible and not the coupe/sedan. it's different.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
not that it matters for the info of swaps. but although the front subframe may be the same mounting points. the M3 uses the stronger front subframe from the convertible and not the coupe/sedan. it's different.
The x-ref list here shows the same part:
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=31111096902

Do you have a side-by-side comparison?
That was one thing I was unable to verify except by memory since the M3 subframe was off at a different time.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:

Last edited by cyberkaa; 02-11-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360623072
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
mkodama

Quote:
Are you sure you aren't talking about the underbody reinforcement brace 51717893609? That is a different part, only used on the M3 and the Z4 Ms

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Alex323Ci

Quote:
The x-ref list here shows the same part:
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=31111096902

Do you have a side-by-side comparison?
That was one thing I was unable to verify except by memory since the M3 subframe was off at a different time.
I don't have comparison. This is specifically listed by BMW in the M3 specs pages.
As for the part number, I suspect they just stock the one now for replacement just like the rear subframe panel. The stronger convertible version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Are you sure you aren't talking about the underbody reinforcement brace 51717893609? That is a different part, only used on the M3 and the Z4 Ms
No I'm not talking about the aluminum plate.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
cyberkaa

You've got me curious. Do you have a link to the specs pages?

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Alex323Ci

Quote:
You've got me curious. Do you have a link to the specs pages?

i figured you wouldn't believe me.
last line of the E46 M3 FRONT SUSPENSION SPECS

Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
cyberkaa

Quote:
i figured you wouldn't believe me.
last line of the E46 M3 FRONT SUSPENSION SPECS

[IMGhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/showitsam/IMG_0389_zps12e583be.jpg[/IMG]
Well, don't be so hard on yourself. It's not that I didn't believe you, but I wanted to see the source. There are a lot of details there that we can independently verify.

Specifically, I'm thinking that since I have 2000 323ci, 2003 325i, and a 2002 M3 at my house right now, I can check all of the subframe part numbers if they're still visible and verify that claim.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #30
Orchazum

My Ride: Steel Grey 330i
So all in all, is it possible to swap out springs only from an m3 to a 330i?. By the looks of it, im gonna have to hunt for an m3 being sold for parts ..its time for a little suspension "love" anyway

Multi Color Angel Eyes, MD, K&N, Sharked, Y-Rated Shoes
Orchazum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchazum View Post
So all in all, is it possible to swap out springs only from an m3 to a 330i?. By the looks of it, im gonna have to hunt for an m3 being sold for parts ..its time for a little suspension "love" anyway
The the springs looked interchangeable. Same diameter and ends, etc. They are a good deal higher of a spring rate though, so with used non-M dampers, you're probably going to get a very bouncy ride.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
Orchazum

My Ride: Steel Grey 330i
Yaaa im not going for the ***** look hahahahah. Thank you for the input however... Much appreciated

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

Multi Color Angel Eyes, MD, K&N, Sharked, Y-Rated Shoes
Orchazum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
Cpconst

My Ride: 2004 e46 m3
I'm doing this swap this week and was wondering what the best position for the three top mounting bolts to be positioned for the closest to factory specs for non-M?
Cpconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpconst View Post
I'm doing this swap this week and was wondering what the best position for the three top mounting bolts to be positioned for the closest to factory specs for non-M?
Probably the position that moves the strut bearing pivot point forward. Camber adjustment stays pretty much the same as a non-M, but there is a small loss in caster/self centering of the steering.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
hamadyr

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
In that last picture of the strut bearing:
Rotated 240 degrees clockwise from original, it seems to give the highest camber and caster when used on non M.

Has anyone set it like this and performed a wheel alignment ?

What is the measurement for camber and caster ?

Visually I would guess around -3 degrees camber.

Anyone have data or a more educated guess ?

Last edited by hamadyr; 03-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.
hamadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
Mccomasg09

My Ride: 2001 Hellrot 330Ci
Just to be clear ride height stays about the same in the rear and raises a little in the front? I was just curious what the reason for this was? Thanks guys
Mccomasg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #37
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccomasg09 View Post
Just to be clear ride height stays about the same in the rear and raises a little in the front? I was just curious what the reason for this was? Thanks guys
The ride height looks about the same as non-M sport suspension.

The rumor was that M3 front springs would raise the front of a non-M because they were designed to support the heavier M3 engine, but there was nothing noticeable to me.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #38
Mccomasg09

My Ride: 2001 Hellrot 330Ci
Thanks for the reply, and what did you notice were the biggest benefits? And any negatives? I got a good deal on some and I need new struts, I prefer to stay oem everything but if there is no negative I wouldn't mind swapping them out?
Mccomasg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #39
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccomasg09 View Post
Thanks for the reply, and what did you notice were the biggest benefits? And any negatives? I got a good deal on some and I need new struts, I prefer to stay oem everything but if there is no negative I wouldn't mind swapping them out?
The installation wasn't on my car, so I can't give any helpful info there. Try messaging Devious21 or hizhinezz.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #40
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Non-M struts are partially compressed at rest position, fluid can be heard if shaken, and easier to compress, strongly suggesting a low-pressure twin-tube design. M3 struts are fully extended at rest, no fluid can be heard if shaken, and are harder to compress, strongly suggesting a high-pressure mono-tube design."
I know for a fact that non-M-shock-absorbers are twin-tube-design. However - the OEM-Sachs-shocks on my 330 (M-package) did fully extend in resting position (even after 5 years / 90.000km). Even the rear ones that were leaking oil did fully extend - indicating that there was still pressure inside.

Same goes for my brand new Bilstein B4 replacement shock absorbers which are listed as twin-tube-design - they fully extend - all by themselves. If your E46 Sachs/Bilstein shocks dont fully extend its likely they are worn out/shot/dead. I know - there are cases were brand new twin-tube-shocks dont fully extend but the twin-tube Sachs/Bilstein E46 shocks do!

Note: twin design shocks break down slowly. They even work (kind of) when they are in the process of failing. This is why a lot of people dont notice that their shocks are gone. It usually happens so slowly that they get used to feel. Mono-tubes usually last longer than twin-tubes but when they fail -> you know immediately

BTW - if you look up the E46 M3 shocks in the Bilstein catalog you will see that the B4 replacement shocks are listed as twin-tube-design as well. That of course does not prove that the OEM M3 shocks (I guess Sachs) are twin-tube-design but its an indication.

Last edited by silyb0y; 03-30-2013 at 01:04 AM.
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote