E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #101
dosequisrex

My Ride: 325ci 2002
OK OK. OP is NOT dead, but extremely late with updates and photos and really everything. Been very busy in Navy training here and FINALLY earned my Wings of Gold, so since that is now taken care of I was able to pull the old girl out and see how shes been holding up with all the wear and tear from the winter months and constant driving.

Here is an update with pics for the spots that have had issues. I will post updated pics of her "repaired" and cleaned up as well in the next few days.:

Overall

Now a few areas that were issues:

The driver side door sill (form just bumping it)

The area under the Gas cap, from me being impatient and letting it drip onto it. (it melts it right away)

The air inlet near the bottom of the Windshield from just over spray i didn't cover up.

The door handles were very tricky to do, and since I'm taking them off to fix the LED's i installed in them, I'll be repainting them as well.

Finally one of the rear tires decided it didn't like the paint job and just started peeling. (took about 5 months before any of this started to happen) but I'll be pulling it all off and redoing the black and shine coat.
The shedding on the tire is from when I sprayed the tires with the car. I DO NOT recommend doing this. It leaves that extra paint on the tire itself and it doesnt peel off easy at all. I'm down to just leaving it for now till I get the wheels off and can scrub it off. Instead, use index cards to prevent spraying the actual tire.

And lastly, a shot of her after I washed her down (before fixing the stuff above).
NOTE: to wash the plasti-dip, you really either need the cloth from the website itself (I opted for this) or from an autoparts store (they are rubbery and stay always moist.) The Wash you end up giving the car is really just to get most of the debris off. I noticed that some marks just don't wash off the paint that well so either just deal with it until you repaint it, or try harder. I dont mind most of the little stuff because in most light you can't even notice it.

Ok so thats the update. Again I'm sorry this took so damn long. I've been crazy busy with the military and all and will actually be moving out to CALI soon and can't wait to have the year around weather where I can really work on her.
In the next few days, I'll post up pics of her all "cleaned" up
dosequisrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #102
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
The condition of your tires confirms what everyone will already assume about the owner of this car...
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #103
dosequisrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
The condition of your tires confirms what everyone will already assume about the owner of this car...
That I followed the guide on dipyourcar.com and it didnt come out exactly the same way? so I learned from it and will be doing it differently the next time?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #104
EverydayGetaway

The fact that you thought flat black would look good on an E46 made worse by the fact that you did it with $5 can's of spray on plastic. And I was referring to the fact that your tire looks like it was run against a curb for a mile.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #105
hizhinezz

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
The fact that you thought flat black would look good on an E46 made worse by the fact that you did it with $5 can's of spray on plastic. And I was referring to the fact that your tire looks like it was run against a curb for a mile.
If I'm correct that's from where OP admitted he painted them and it peeled vs any form of contact, and that he wouldnt do so again.

Congratulations on the "late to the thread it's easier to be a douche than take the time to read award." OP has been consistent since outset that this was an experiment, undertaken in curiosity and fun and for the challenge from the get go (and as the result of much rejoicing over plastidip). He's admitted quirks and shortfalls since day 1. And he's done this all in the public eye thereby inviting criticism all the while. Also, he's busy working to advance career in military protecting the nation whilst doing so.

To me this spells 100% more character and likability more than twat posting insults undermined by posts by OP on the same page about condition of tires.

Yousuckattheintarwebs.org - you may want to register for this...

Last edited by hizhinezz; 03-24-2013 at 04:38 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #106
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
thats the plasti dip peeling from the tire i believe. op didnt peel it off from the beggining
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #107
dosequisrex

thanks all, yeah again I must refer to this.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #108
EverydayGetaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
If I'm correct that's from where OP admitted he painted them and it peeled vs any form of contact, and that he wouldnt do so again.

Congratulations on the "late to the thread it's easier to be a douche than take the time to read award." OP has been consistent since outset that this was an experiment, undertaken in curiosity and fun and for the challenge from the get go (and as the result of much rejoicing over plastidip). He's admitted quirks and shortfalls since day 1. And he's done this all in the public eye thereby inviting criticism all the while. Also, he's busy working to advance career in military protecting the nation whilst doing so.

To me this spells 100% more character and likability more than twat posting insults undermined by posts by OP on the same page about condition of tires.

Yousuckattheintarwebs.org - you may want to register for this...
How anyone would think this is a good "experiment" is beyond me. And you said it yourself, he's open to criticism. His car looks like poo and the idea in general is poo. Also, assuming everyone in the military has "character" is the biggest load of horse s*** I've heard in a while, the problem with our military is too many people are in it only for the paycheck, not saying OP is one of those, I don't know him, all I'm saying is I question the mindset of anyone who thinks spray canning a car is a "good" idea.

Tags
matte black, paint, plasti dip, plasti-dip, vinyl