E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
GummyBearMafia

My Ride: 325, 325, 328, 350z
Auto Transmission lost gears.

So ive been searching and still unable to find anything.

My 2003 winter beater is a auto which is great for snow makes it easy and carefree. I was out driving 2 days ago and it was perfect, no issues and i parked and went into a store. I was in there for about 3 hours when i came out got in the car and began to drive away.

This is where the issues began, it went into drive but was only catching at 1000-2500 rpm if i hit the gas it just reved up over and nothing happened. I put it into steptronic mode and second gear did the same. But as it hit 4000 rpm it sounded like someone dropped the clutch and it engaged very slow and set off all the transmission and engine lights. Going home it felt like it was in 4th gear the whole way and didnt shift. I was able to put it in neutral and shut the car off and restart when i did that the lights went off and it began shifting and driving fine. 3rd,4th, and 5th everything good until i came to a stop and it did the same thing.

Yesterday i took it out and it seems reverse is doing the same where it revs high but doesn't engage. Both times i can smell the clutch burning, and even when i have it in park and car is running i can smell clutch. The only time i dont have a issue is if i am going down hill, or can get the car going fast enough to be in 3rd gear then itll be fine, or if i slip into neutral over 15mph and shut off then on again.

I really need help it to early to pull out the other cars. Again its a 2003 325 automatic. I found a replacement transmission but want to see if it something else,
fluid swap on it was never done to my knowledge, its probably to late to fix that now but ill try almost anything.
GummyBearMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
There is no clutch on an automatic to cause a burning smell. This is not a good sign, as it sounds like your torque converter is slipping.

About the only thing I'm aware of to try is a fluid change/top up, but if it's that bad I have to say that I would fear the worst. Time for a manual swap?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
GummyBearMafia

My Ride: 325, 325, 328, 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
There is no clutch on an automatic to cause a burning smell.
This is what i thought, but my dad kept insisting it had to have a wet clutch inside the housing. I just dont know what would cause that smell though its very distinct.

Quote:
This is not a good sign, as it sounds like your torque converter is slipping.
Hmm, are your fairly confident in that? I could swap that out if so.

Quote:
About the only thing I'm aware of to try is a fluid change/top up, but if it's that bad I have to say that I would fear the worst. Time for a manual swap?
It happened and was like this for 1 day not, havent been driving i pulled out the 350z and used that. But i figure i can change fluid for about 100$ so i would be open to that if there is a good chance beside the TC.
GummyBearMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
It might sound odd but disconnect your maf and drive it and see if that helps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote