E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
hughfr4nc15

My Ride: BMW 318i E46
Question INPA Values and DISA Rattle - Need Opinion

Hello,

I bought an E46 318i (M43) a couple of months ago. Although it was/is in a very good condition, I'm a meticulous guy so I've done some maintenance on it:

- Fuel Filter
- Oil Filter
- Polen Filter
- Air Filter
- Engine Oil
- Gearbox Oil
- Differential Oil
- V-Belts and Pulleys
- Oil Filter Cover O-Ring and Gasket
- Spark Plugs

At the moment there are two things that are bugging me the most, first some INPA Values that I would like some opinions:

1 - Load Value: What causes this, from what i've read maybe MAF?
2 - Ignition Angle Degree: Any thoughts?
3 - Pulse duty factor: ICV? MAF?
4 - Lambda Sensor Voltage Before KAT: This oscillates quite a bit @ idle, defective?
5 - Rough Values: Cylinder 4 used to be near or higher than max value, then I replaced all the spark plugs and it lowered. What do you think of this values? Why is Cylinder 3 always around 0?

Error 171 is also showing up on INPA.

Second, I hear some rattling when I'm driving mostly around 2500 rpm. I believe it might be the DISA. Below is a recording I've made with my phone placed near it, what's your opinion? From what I've seen in other videos it seems like it needs to be replaced...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hughfr4nc15; 02-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
hughfr4nc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
dvd64

My Ride: bmw e46 CI
Yes i have the same error and motor sound
changed my maf for error 171 and now no error

for the "sound" change your disa , i have changed mine too because ii had the same sound , After that all sound nice

Last edited by dvd64; 02-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.
dvd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
hughfr4nc15

Thanks for you feedback, will replace it ASAP.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
hughfr4nc15

I've cleaned my ICV, throttle body and MAF and no big difference in INPA values. Idle is a bit more steady though. The boot between the MAF and the throttle body is ok, no cracks.
I plan to replace the DISA ASAP.

I also plan to replace the wires based to try to improve the rough values. Car seems a bit hesitant sometimes when driving.

Last edited by hughfr4nc15; 03-11-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
If your valve cover shows signs of recent past oil leak check your spark plugs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote