E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #181
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Schmidt View Post
Trap speed is your indicator of how efficient your E.T. was. In Saads video, he has an 8.9 @ 154 MPH! That tells me, he knows what he is doing. He also has his M3 at a 10.54@134.
I absolutely agree with speed being an indicator of efficiency.

I personally watched Jason's car run that 10.54@134.. my car ran 10.56 @ 142.. in Vegas, on a **** track.. with a bigger/laggier turbo (7168 vs 6766) and both cars were running the same tires/wheels.. not just the same size/brand/etc.. but literally the same wheels, swapped over.

Jason was against the use of the 7168.. felt the 6766 was a better turbo, and I agreed.. but with time contraints/etc we didn't have time to swap a 6766 in.

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #182
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Doesn't matter what engine is in it...the better the 60' the better the E.T. Turbo or otherwise. I would bet to run 8.2x @173mph....his 60 had to be in the 1.3x's unless he blew his engine at 1000' and was on a 185mph pass.
I agree.. but my point is if your small displacement, big turbo car runs a 1.3 60ft you're likely going to bog out of your powerband.

Saad has nitrous in his Supra so maybe he pulls out of it that way.. but if a 3.2l motor hooks on big slicks to soon its going to fall on its face.

Which is why you obviously don't see big turbo small displacement cars lifting the front wheels straight up like you do a big displacement drag car on massive slicks.

You need the car to roll out a bit before hooking, and thats where the experience comes in, knowing when and being able to do it consistently.. which like I said.. Saad has plenty of experience doing.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #183
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
A fast 1/4 mile M3 would get an acceptable 60-130 time.
A fast 60-130 M3 would get an acceptable 1/4 mile time.

Looking more forward to the races then the keyboard war.
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #184
J.Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I agree.. but my point is if your small displacement, big turbo car runs a 1.3 60ft you're likely going to bog out of your powerband.

Saad has nitrous in his Supra so maybe he pulls out of it that way.. but if a 3.2l motor hooks on big slicks to soon its going to fall on its face.

Which is why you obviously don't see big turbo small displacement cars lifting the front wheels straight up like you do a big displacement drag car on massive slicks.

You need the car to roll out a bit before hooking, and thats where the experience comes in, knowing when and being able to do it consistently.. which like I said.. Saad has plenty of experience doing.
We are saying the same thing!

Saad, do you feel the lighter M3 with the S54 clearly making more torque should be an advantage of the Supra? How does the gearing compare?

An engine that makes more power down low (the S54) and has a numerically higher gear would be much better coming out of the hole.
J.Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #185
MarcusLSB

Quote:

Saad, do you feel the lighter M3 with the S54 clearly making more torque should be an advantage of the Supra? How does the gearing compare?

An engine that makes more power down low (the S54) and has a numerically higher gear would be much better coming out of the hole.
Fine.. lets agree to agree.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #186
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: S600
Quote:
You said the key words, "a LOT of time", like 5 years? Just because you can run 60 - 130, doesn't mean you have a clue on how to set a car up for drag racing. Trap speed is your indicator of how efficient your E.T. was. In Saads video, he has an 8.9 @ 154 MPH! That tells me, he knows what he is doing. He also has his M3 at a 10.54@134, that also tells me he knows what he is doing with the M3. To compare what he knows to someone who really has no idea is simply ludicrous! I don't understand how you can connect those dots at all.

Saad, how many passes did you make in your M3? I only see a couple of videos? Just trying to get an idea on what you feel is in this platform compared to the Supra. What other cars have you done? Just the Supra?
Let me start by saying that a low 4 second 60-130 in an M3 is very good and I'm not taking anything away from that. 60-130 comparisons in between different cars is not always fair because some cars may not need to shift and some may have to shift once or twice.

To answer your questions, we made less then 10 passes on the ProEfi/Saad Racing M3 before it was sold. The 10.5@134 pass was the last pass made in the car. It was due to go back to the track and have the power turned up but it got sold before we could do that, 9's would have been no problem for it.

The other cars we have done include Supra 1800hp, Viper 1400hp, Porsche 996 700-1200hp, Lamborghini Murcielago 1200hp, Z06 Corvette 1400hp, GTR 1200hp coming soon I'm sure I'm forgetting others. All these cars are street cars FIRST. Now we are focusing on the M3 and you must remember that maintaining the street car status is first and foremost with us. We are not just gutting a car to make it run fast. If I did it would be a lot easier to set records with, instead I'm using a full weight street car with my street turbo kit, not a one off.
Saad @ Saad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #187
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
With regards to traditional drag racing, big block motors, etc .. yes the 60' is where a significant portion of the et is determined.. however with small displacement big turbo cars the et is generally made on the back half. I'm willing to bet Saad's 8 second supra doesn't cut more than a 1.5 60ft.. my car net a 1.7+ 60ft and ran a 10.56 @ 142.. so a good 60-130ft may not mean much as for 1/4 times but it certainly can't be completely discredited.

Those cars that were 'struggling' to hit 11's were doing so with 2.x 60ft's on 18" drag radials. Had any one of them put slicks on with anti-lag they'd have likely hit 10's.. high 10's.. but 10's none the less.

Once again, not taking anything away from anyone who's hit 10's thus far but everyone's just reaching the tip of the iceberg.. the difficult part is now to come.. 9's. Simply putting slicks on with anti-lag isn't going to net you 9's, this is where everyone starts getting creative and the experience comes into play. Which yes, Saad has plenty of.
Marcus, you are on the right track about small cid cars making it up on the back end but your numbers are off. I cut low 1.3x's in my Supra all day long. Big cid cars can cut 1.0x. You are also correct that just putting anti lag on it won't net you good numbers, everything else has to work with it, suspension, turbo system, fuel system, tires, clutch ....
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #188
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Doesn't matter what engine is in it...the better the 60' the better the E.T. Turbo or otherwise. I would bet to run 8.2x @173mph....his 60 had to be in the 1.3x's unless he blew his engine at 1000' and was on a 185mph pass.
You would be right, I think that run was 1.33 . Another thing you have to remember is that we have to control the tire speed the length of the track, meaning at times I'm still spinning the tires at 180mph.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #189
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:

Ya, I think you said it, the M3 is lighter and geared much shorter then the Supra. Now first gear is a little too short but after that the M3 carries a big advantage on the Supra. This is also why the M3 will never be able to have a top speed as high as the Supra.

I'll make a prediction. When we run an 8 second pass in the M3 the car will be trapping about 158-165. But to do that you need control and that is where the ProEFI comes in big time! Your not going to do this with the stock DME, EVER!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #190
J.Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
Let me start by saying that a low 4 second 60-130 in an M3 is very good and I'm not taking anything away from that. 60-130 comparisons in between different cars is not always fair because some cars may not need to shift and some may have to shift once or twice.

To answer your questions, we made less then 10 passes on the ProEfi/Saad Racing M3 before it was sold. The 10.5@134 pass was the last pass made in the car. It was due to go back to the track and have the power turned up but it got sold before we could do that, 9's would have been no problem for it.

The other cars we have done include Supra 1800hp, Viper 1400hp, Porsche 996 700-1200hp, Lamborghini Murcielago 1200hp, Z06 Corvette 1400hp, GTR 1200hp coming soon I'm sure I'm forgetting others. All these cars are street cars FIRST. Now we are focusing on the M3 and you must remember that maintaining the street car status is first and foremost with us. We are not just gutting a car to make it run fast. If I did it would be a lot easier to set records with, instead I'm using a full weight street car with my street turbo kit, not a one off.
Very cool stuff! I know the Vipers are pretty tricky to get down the track as well, what kind of times were you able to get out of it?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #191
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Very cool stuff! I know the Vipers are pretty tricky to get down the track as well, what kind of times were you able to get out of it?
I only took the Viper down the track a few times, maybe 6 times, and that was in two different day. I never ran slicks on it just street tires, drag radials, on the factory wheels. The car ran 9.92@154, then they told me to never bring it back to the track as the the car no safety equipment
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #192
J.Schmidt

Quote:
I only took the Viper down the track a few times, maybe 6 times, and that was in two different day. I never ran slicks on it just street tires, drag radials, on the factory wheels. The car ran 9.92@154, then they told me to never bring it back to the track as the the car no safety equipment
That's an impressive run for a 6psd on DR's with factory wheels!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #193
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
ahh I love this thread, the good old days of Supraforms over here now.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #194
d'ray18

My Ride: E90 335
So impressive on a stock engine!

2008 E90 335i
d'ray18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #195
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCamel View Post
ahh I love this thread, the good old days of Supraforms over here now.
Supra is BEAUTIFUL!!! More info, PM if you want.

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #196
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
Supra is BEAUTIFUL!!! More info, PM if you want.
Send me a pm with any info you want to know, it's for sale btw.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #197
E85head

Quote:
What a great question! Answer....Hell yes you will! But will you see an 8 second, 6 speed, full weight car with AC? Answer....Hell yes you will and the car is sitting on my lift right now
How is your car doing? Would love to see some updates!
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #198
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Good, we are in the middle of building two S54's, one for the shop car and one for a customer. Both of our tracks are closed down so we have had no where to race. We are hoping that one of them will re open before the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
How is your car doing? Would love to see some updates!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #199
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
Saad how is the Shop M3 going, keep us updated.

You ran 8s years ago with Supra, now I am waiting a 8,xx second run from you.

E46 M3 Coupe Turbo 60-130 mph 4,2 seconds (2011)
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #200
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

The shop M3 is waiting for assembly. We have been busy supplying kits to customers and we are currently building a 2013 Mustang GT 500 which should be very cool. We still have no track to run at in Phoenix but there should be one opening near the end of the year. That will motivate us to get out. You will also see the return of the Supra at that time, which should be fun