E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
BM_M54

My Ride: 03 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to BM_M54
Help: Which LC pad, sandpaper, polish for bumper scrape?

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in here in a while. I hope someone can help me out please. The car got a low speed tap (1-2mph) and I'm trying to figure out which LC pad to use orange, purple wool, etc? I was thinking of using Meguiars M105/205 combo for polish. The bumper did break a plastic bracket that holds the bumper aligned so I took the bumper off and I plastic welded the bracket with a soldering iron and some spare ABS plastic I had and bumper is lined up perfectly again. This is the first hit this car has taken so I want to do as best job as I can without going to the bodyshop.

I'm not sure if I need sand paper here as well and what grit? Can someone suggest what pad, polish, and if sand paper is needed? I am using a PC7424XP. Also, would I get better results taping off just the black sections and spray painting from a can (from paintscratch.com) then sanding/polishing, or should I use touch up paint (from paintscratch.com) then sand/polish. I'm not sure which will give better results? I also thought about using dr.colorchip but not sure if that would even be a good idea to fill it the areas with faded paint. Attached is a pic of the damage. The bumper is dirty and I wiped the damaged area so it looks deceiving and stands out more, but the bumper surface is still uniform, no dents or anything.
Thanks ahead of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	496347  

Last edited by BM_M54; 03-20-2013 at 09:54 AM.
BM_M54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
BM_M54

First 2 pics are the original damage. So I cleaned the surface with a clay bar. Got some M105 with orange pad and M205 with white pad, a little wet sanding, and it looks a lot better. I'm just waiting for the touch up paint to come in and I will try my best. The damage is a lot less than it looks because I zoomed in so much. The black scrapes are pretty small and hopefully will look a lot better once I touch up with paint. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	497093   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	497094   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	497095   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	497096  

Name:	bmw5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	497097  

Last edited by BM_M54; 03-25-2013 at 02:19 PM.
BM_M54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
I'm interested to see the results. I have something similar on my bumper from the previous owner. I haven't had the guts to use touch up paint yet.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
BM_M54

The paint came in last night, I will do this on Saturday and post some pics of the results. I plan on raising the paint with a few coats and then sanding it down and leveling, so hopefully you can not tell it was touched up. All I can say is, after using the M105/205 is that I feel I have to do the whole car now because it left the paint so glossy and smooth.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM_M54 View Post
The paint came in last night, I will do this on Saturday and post some pics of the results. I plan on raising the paint with a few coats and then sanding it down and leveling, so hopefully you can not tell it was touched up. All I can say is, after using the M105/205 is that I feel I have to do the whole car now because it left the paint so glossy and smooth.
Definitely makes the paint look great. Make sure you clay before compounding and polishing.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote