E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
maxzboy

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Send a message via AIM to maxzboy
6x9 free-air subwoofer..

Good news !! For all the people that has the HK system w/ the 6x9 subwoofer, there is a solution out there to replace that weak ass oem woofer. I've tried to find the discountinued Kicker free-air 6x9, which are notoriously known in the sub replacement for HK system, but it is super hard to locate. I finallly ran across a company: CDT, who makes the free-air 6x9 version. Supposedly it's better than the Kicker. I ordered mine for $99 a pair. Can't wait to see what it'll do. The exact model is CDT CL-69.

CDT has been known to be one of the higher ends out there. I believe they have hard rock solid speakers. Fill me in if i'm missing something!
maxzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Jason@BavSound
Sponsor

My Ride: Cars/Trucks/Bikes
You will have to permanently modify your rear deck.
The CDT's are twice the size of the OEM woofers. The mounting holes for the 6"x9"won't line up with the OEM holes either.

You've got quite the project ahead of you, but I do hope it ends up rocking!
p: 678.388.9538

Jason@BavSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
maxzboy

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Send a message via AIM to maxzboy
Shoot...Modify the mount system (the plastic portion)? or the rear metal deck??? Plz advice. I already ordered it!
maxzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
djmatty
Banned

My Ride: Black '99 328i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to djmatty
Build an adapter ring.
djmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Keem

My Ride: MB e320/Pink Jeep
you need a new amp when powering a different sub too

//Custom SSR GT3 Syle Wheels//12" FI SSD//CarPC//
//Tein Coilovers//5% Tint//Aluminum ACS Pedals//
//2 JBL Amplifiers//CDT Components//ZHP//
Keem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxzboy
Shoot...Modify the mount system (the plastic portion)? or the rear metal deck??? Plz advice. I already ordered it!
You need to remove the plastic mounting holes off the plastic portion and glue a custom 6X9" CL-69 adapter ring of a maximum of 10mm of height... I made a custom MDF adapter ring for the same speakers and it fits the HK enclosure perfectly and the magnets pass thru the deck holes without cutting the metal.

If you do not want to make an adapter, you can always can bolt the speakers directly to the plastic enclosure after removing the plastic mounting holes...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Technic

FYI

Old 07-22-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Damned good idea. But how sturdy is the plastic enclosure? Any buzzes or rattles?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:16 AM   #9
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Damned good idea. But how sturdy is the plastic enclosure? Any buzzes or rattles?
Thanks...

The MDF is glued to the enclosure with industrial epoxy, the magnets do not touch the metal above, the enclosure has a foam gasket and is held by two pins and four screws and the rear deck sound insulation above the holes pushes just enough the 6X9's down to create tension against the enclosure... this sucker is tight as hell.

But the revelation is that, although I have not even started to replace the whole system (that's going to be on my own thread), this 6X9 replacement alone produces a level of bass improvement by itself that is out of the ordinary for how it is connected.

I'm running them not with the HK dedicated subwoofer amplifier but with the rear regular mid bass speakers output from the stock OEM HK main amplifier (some 20w per channel at 10% THD, or something in that range?) because I also have the Stealthboxes. So now, the Stealthboxes provide the "thump" and these 6X9's provide the "deep" because of the enclosure. This combo, Stealth/CDT/enlosure, is the closest I can get to a 12" in a box in the sense of shaker bass and still have my trunk room; this is no exageration, no joke. I'm really, very impressed...

Just by looking at the first photo is very easy to see where this improvement is coming from, the CDT's are twice the size in depth (twice the cone/air movement), the cone is not toilet paper, and the magnet is at least three times the size as the OEM. The whole speaker is simply better 200%. Now is more apparent than ever that the front speaker system has to go. They just can't keep up with the new improved sound.

I can imagine feeding these CDT's with 100W/channel of clean, ultra low THD, aftermarket sub amp. It should be a great HK replacement by themselves in a very tight budget of around $200-$250 ($100 the pair, $100-$150 sub amp).

Last edited by Technic; 07-22-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
fastbmw

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
because I also have the Stealthboxes.
Where did you place the Stealthboxes? Would you post a picture of all the speakers in the trunk?
The challenge I had from the Stealthboxes was that they "maxed" out too quick - started to distort because of their size. You might have a better setup with this combo - I like that idea of having all the speakers up and away. Nice.
fastbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 AM   #11
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbmw
Where did you place the Stealthboxes? Would you post a picture of all the speakers in the trunk?
The challenge I had from the Stealthboxes was that they "maxed" out too quick - started to distort because of their size. You might have a better setup with this combo - I like that idea of having all the speakers up and away. Nice.
Thanks... check my installation: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=201540

I noticed the same Stealth distortion as you, I adjusted the crossover points and the gains of both the amp and the SVEN2 and got it reduced considerably. However, I think that the weak link is the actual JL subs used in this application, they are not that great to begin with; regardless, one of them is already shot. The next upgrade (today) is swapping these JL subs with some Kicker free air subs, with better frequency response, SPL and power handling, using the same Stealthboxes pods. I hope that I can get better and cleaner sub bass with the Kickers.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
fastbmw

My Ride: 05 M3
Thanks. I should have known that you would have posted such detail.

I overlooked the rear speaker slots you're using to fire the Stealths though. I assume that you still have the rear speakers out of the car.

I would be interested in your opinion of the 6X9s once you've had a chance to work them out a bit.

I had the H-K system but replaced speakers and all. Right now I have 10" JL driven by an Alpine amp. I really like the idea about having the 6X9s - it would nice if the Stealths would add to the equation but I'm just not sure that 8" can hold up. Maybe the combination the Stealths and the 6X9s are the answer.

For me, Iím not looking for loud, kicking subs just a good solid bottom end to the music and the elimination of the sub box.
fastbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Try placing a high pass filter equal to the speaker's FS (prob 30-35hz). The sub is probably traveling beyond its linear excursion capabilities trying to play some low notes.

Since most music doesn't have much info below 40 hz, you won't notice much of a difference. Only classical and bass music have a lot of sub 40hz notes. If you listen to nothing but bass music, you need something larger than an 8 anyway.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Try placing a high pass filter equal to the speaker's FS (prob 30-35hz). The sub is probably traveling beyond its linear excursion capabilities trying to play some low notes.

Since most music doesn't have much info below 40 hz, you won't notice much of a difference. Only classical and bass music have a lot of sub 40hz notes. If you listen to nothing but bass music, you need something larger than an 8 anyway.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
willem-nl

My Ride: E46
Hi all, i,m from the netherlands/europe and new here. Because the HK woofersection in my E46 M3 sucs big time i came on this tread via google.

I have bought 2 6x9 woofers Signat H96. They are a big improvement on the 'crappy' HK woofers. And they are cheap too, only 55 euro's and that is with delivery cost as well! And you can mount them in the plastic standard subhousing.

The standard HK and the new Signat woofers

You can see the difference between the old and the new one

Remove the standard ones , also the oval cloth witch is under the standard speakers.

Because the Signat H96 has higher dimensions you need longer screws.

The new ones in the standard HK housing. Use silicone to make it all airtight, that is very important for every speaker! The oval cloth was not put back under the new woofers, that way they are 'breathe' better and can respond faster. When screwing it back in your trunk also use silicone to make the plastic housing airtight with the metal plate above. Result is that it won't rattle if you play louder and it will sound better.

Result: Outstanding for such a low price
I tested them with real cd's not with mp3 or other compromised material.
The 2 woofers are doing very well with the little HK subwoofer amplifier, sound gan go very deep. Madonna was sounding good with a ferm deep bass, The Eagles (hotel california live) was also very good, mutch better as with the old crappy HK's. And i even put Frank Sinatra on the testbank (wath a voice!), and also he was sounding better. The system is better balanced, i can put the tone controls at 0 db and i have now a full rich sound. With the HK's it was sounding boomy because they can't go deep. The new ones can! If you consider the price of these woofers it is truly a bargain. And it is a very simple upgrade to do. They also fit when you have sunrollo's in the back as i have. Greetings to you all.

Specs:
Type Component woofer set H96
System size: 235x160 mm
Membrane: Polypropylene
Surround: Butyl rubber
Basket: SIGNAT blue steel
Gasket: Plastic
Magnet: Barium (17 Oz) 100x60x20 mmm
Voice coil: 25,5mm
Terminal: 2,8x0,8mm 4,8x0,8mm Gold Plated
Technical data:
Music power: 2x160W
Nom. power: 2x80W
Nom. impendance: 4 Ohm
DC resistance: 3.7 Ohm +/-15%
Frequency response (MSPL-10 dB): 40 Hz - 5 kHz
Recommended frequency range: 40 - 4 kHz or full range
Free air resonance frequency: 55 Hz, +/-20%
Mean sound/ pressure level: 88.5 dB/W/m, +/- 3dB
Qts: 1,1
Vas: 25,0 ltr
Xmax: 4,0mm
Mounting diameter: oval
Mounting depth: 77mm
Price set of 2 H96 woofers euro: 55, 00 ( netherlands/europe)

Last edited by willem-nl; 08-19-2011 at 02:55 AM.
willem-nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
Mafia3

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem-nl View Post
Hi all, i,m from the netherlands/europe and new here. Because the HK woofersection in my E46 M3 sucs big time i came on this tread via google.

I have bought 2 6x9 woofers Signat H96. They are a big improvement on the 'crappy' HK woofers. And they are cheap too, only 55 euro's and that is with delivery cost as well! And you can mount them in the plastic standard subhousing.

[The new ones in the standard HK housing. Use silicone to make it all airtight, that is very important for every speaker! The oval cloth was not put back under the new woofers, that way they are 'breathe' better and can respond faster. When screwing it back in your trunk also use silicone to make the plastic housing airtight with the metal plate above. Result is that it won't rattle if you play louder and it will sound better.

Result: Outstanding for such a low price
I tested them with real cd's not with mp3 or other compromised material.
The 2 woofers are doing very well with the little HK subwoofer amplifier, sound gan go very deep. Madonna was sounding good with a ferm deep bass, The Eagles (hotel california live) was also very good, mutch better as with the old crappy HK's. And i even put Frank Sinatra on the testbank (wath a voice!), and also he was sounding better. The system is better balanced, i can put the tone controls at 0 db and i have now a full rich sound. With the HK's it was sounding boomy because they can't go deep. The new ones can! If you consider the price of these woofers it is truly a bargain. And it is a very simple upgrade to do. They also fit when you have sunrollo's in the back as i have. Greetings to you all.
Thank you for the great post! Just a quick question, how is the stock HK 6X9 amp holding up after a few months? I'm going to be running something similar and read in other threads that the stock hk 6X9 amp (the small little one on the 6X9 enclosure) burns out after some time, did this happen to you?

thanks!

SPONSORED BY: Eurospeed| Sig Pic by Kyle K.
Mafia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 AM   #17
willem-nl

Hi,
No, it is still running ok, no problems at all. Offcourse it will never be a headbanging sound, the amplifiers in the hk system are not strong enough for that. But it very nice now, mutch, mutch better than with the original woofers. There are also other solutions, like on our E46 forum in the netherlands. One driver has done the same upgrade, but with tangband speakers:
He used these speakers: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w5-1138sm.htm
Result is a mutch deeper bass, but it is more difficult than my upgrade because mine have almost the same dimensions as the standard hk ones.
The tangband are less sensitive than the signat so the volume is lower, but still very good.

Last edited by willem-nl; 12-14-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
bmwmen

My Ride: E46 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem-nl View Post
Hi,
No, it is still running ok, no problems at all. Offcourse it will never be a headbanging sound, the amplifiers in the hk system are not strong enough for that. But it very nice now, mutch, mutch better than with the original woofers. There are also other solutions, like on our E46 forum in the netherlands. One driver has done the same upgrade, but with tangband speakers:
He used these speakers: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w5-1138sm.htm
Result is a mutch deeper bass, but it is more difficult than my upgrade because mine have almost the same dimensions as the standard hk ones.
The tangband are less sensitive than the signat so the volume is lower, but still very good.
Welk forum is dat dan? Ik ben benieuwd want ik zou graag een upgrade aan mijn H/K installatie willen doen!
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
bmwmen

My Ride: E46 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmen View Post
Welk forum is dat dan? Ik ben benieuwd want ik zou graag een upgrade aan mijn H/K installatie willen doen!
Het is zeker e46 forum [punt] nl. Net geregistreerd, handig!
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
willem-nl

The site whit the article about the tangband woofers is : http://www.bimmerportal.nl/forum/vie...ilit=subwoofer
Greetings.