E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Thinking of going e30, ideas,

So I've had my e46 for about two years now, and its been great. I'm in college now in a pretty secluded place and with my schedule, DIY is getting pretty hard to do. I'm at 209k as of today, and things seem to be going pretty fast.

In the past month, the following things have gone wrong-

Idler pulley, tensioner
Serpentine belt
Accessory belt
O2 sensors
Three regulators (replaced two of them three months prior, third a zip tie method to prolong)
Passenger window motor
Drivers side rear window motor
Mechanism in passenger seat belt clicker thing (forgot what it was called)
Etc.

I usually do everything myself, but as I said its very difficult with fraternity events, my job, classes, and community service. My school is about 300 miles from home, and I'm worried the ol' e46 is going to give up halfway. My question to you is, should I look to swap my e46 for a lower mileage e30 for reliability/cheaper maintenance? I really don't want to stray away from BMW since well.. Don't think I need to explain why to most of you on here. Would an e30 be more assuring traveling long distances? Thanks-
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
that is normal stuff...(e30 is not cheap lolz)
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Lots of E30 threads lately...
Sounds like you need to concentrate on school. Problem is, E30s are a lot older, most will need a lot of work to make them reliable, so you'd be back where you started from.
A low mileage (if there is such a thing) example would set you back several thousands. Maybe you can post an ad wanting to trade, get one from another enthusiast who maintained it well.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
e46 not reliable enough so switch to an e30!? Dude. No. You will not find a 30 year old car that is more reliable or cheaper to maintain than a newer one. Just trust me. I've owned 2 e30s. One was pretty reliable but seriously things go wrong everyday. You have an automobile made up of hundreds of parts that are older than you and failing one by one everyday. It might not be your engine blowing up, or your tires exploding. But it's the little things. Tuesday your window switch goes out. Wednesday your cluster lights go out. Thursday your speedo goes. Friday nothing happens so you wonder what happened. Saturday you're going to pick up your girl and the passengers door doesn't open.
DIY is fun. That's partly why I bought an e30 as a second car. I like fixing things. But just trust me, don't go from an e46 to an e30. After a while it gets so tiring and would be awful as an only car.
As a second car? Do it. As an only car? No.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 03-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Toxx

I understand things will still go wrong, but I just figured the parts would cheaper, and possibly easier to DIY.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Cheaper and easier to DIY. If you get a good one...maybe. If you get an average one, a lot more will go wrong.

I went e46 -> e30 and couldn't be happier. Some aren't. If you're looking for a reliable college student DD, I wouldn't be looking for anything German.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
I understand things will still go wrong, but I just figured the parts would cheaper, and possibly easier to DIY.
Some parts will be cheaper. But more will go wrong.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
Toxx

Alright guys thanks for the input. Looks like I might be stepping away from the Bimmer crowd until graduation.. Any reliable/sporty/fun cars around the price range of an e46 that people have as suggestions?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
Alright guys thanks for the input. Looks like I might be stepping away from the Bimmer crowd until graduation.. Any reliable/sporty/fun cars around the price range of an e46 that people have as suggestions?
If I couldn't have a BMW I'd go back to Acura
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote