E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
So SamDoe1, you believe this is purely an intake issue? I must clarify that I have no idle issues at all. I used to last year when my intake camshaft position sensor went and then my exhaust camshaft position sensor followed suit. Crankshfat was done before those. All oem brand. This vibration is really only mechanical in nature.

Last edited by djbradle; 03-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
djbradle

Now I do have a loose as a goose upper U-joint on the Lower joint assembly of the steering column. The double universal is good though. Seems built really well.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Do you mean the Intake air temp sensor o-ring? 13621739510 . . . no part number for the DISA o-ring that I can find.
I have some extra disa o-rings I ordered from the website jfoj recommeded. They don't make a replacement OEM o-ring. Your old disa o-ring is a bastard to get off.

Last edited by E46er75; 03-27-2013 at 06:34 PM.
E46er75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
E46er75

Too be honest, I'm doubtful that this will fix your issue.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
I have the exact same problem as OP. But for me I normally only notice it during the cold weather. When I put the car into neutral the vibration goes right away. I do have a slight rough idle so once I take care of that I can see what else I can do.

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
djbradle

Sadly I tend to agree that it won't fix the issue. If only there was that acme part that I could throw at it to wash the problems away. Vibration type issues have been the bane of this car since I bought it at 91k. Control arms, half shafts, bent rims, brakes, . I have never had another vehicle that did this. Even my B5 S4 never had this issue . . (except for the snow packed into the rims when doing spins)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
djbradle

So has anyone ever contronted the transmission mounts? When my indy shop did my engine mounts two summers ago they said the tranny mounts were solid. I tend to think that somehow these are the culprit since of course only in drive or reverse while idling does it do this. Once the power is transferred to the driveline the vibration is nullified.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
E46er75

Quote:
So has anyone ever contronted the transmission mounts? When my indy shop did my engine mounts two summers ago they said the tranny mounts were solid. I tend to think that somehow these are the culprit since of course only in drive or reverse while idling does it do this. Once the power is transferred to the driveline the vibration is nullified.
There is a couple threads on this issue. I suggest looking through them. Mounts have been the target in many debates, but once again probably not the fix considering the amount of fanatics that all have the same issue.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Change O2 sensors, clean the MAF, clean the intake air temp sensor, replace IAT sensor o-ring, clean ICV, replace DISA o-ring.

That should fix your troubles.
^ Has everyone with this problem done the above?

Like I said, this problem is not exclusive to the E46 or even BMW as a whole. I've had the same issue on my old Passat (clean MAF and clean IAT fixed the issue) and my current Expedition (clean ICV and fix leaky vacuum hose) and the problem went away.

Vibration or rough idle in D and R is a result of the engine computer not getting the right information on what's going on, not the result of your engine mounts or trans mounts being bad.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
djbradle

Wouldn't the vibration continue as forward or backward movement progresses from idle position if it was indeed intake issues and/or O2 sensors? As soon as the power is transferred the vibration stops. I'm not doubting you. I just don't fix things without understanding what's in error. As a PM it's a good idea but I've dumped some cash already this year into the oil pan, ccv, and front struts/mounts.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
djbradle

Then again maybe this is completely normal? I have seen this does affect almost all makes/models of awd vehicles. Certainly if I hold the brake and gas it the vibration does go away slightly so this would preclude the idle rpm's being the culprit, say 600-800.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ Has everyone with this problem done the above?

Like I said, this problem is not exclusive to the E46 or even BMW as a whole. I've had the same issue on my old Passat (clean MAF and clean IAT fixed the issue) and my current Expedition (clean ICV and fix leaky vacuum hose) and the problem went away.

Vibration or rough idle in D and R is a result of the engine computer not getting the right information on what's going on, not the result of your engine mounts or trans mounts being bad.
Yup, I replaced, cleaned, triple checked and even had a local BMW shop recheck and still no change..
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Wouldn't the vibration continue as forward or backward movement progresses from idle position if it was indeed intake issues and/or O2 sensors? As soon as the power is transferred the vibration stops. I'm not doubting you. I just don't fix things without understanding what's in error. As a PM it's a good idea but I've dumped some cash already this year into the oil pan, ccv, and front struts/mounts.
The engine computer uses the idle control valve and the fuel system to control the amount of air/fuel going into the system based on the readings it gets from the MAF, the O2 sensors, and the intake air temp sensor. This is just like the throttle body off idle. If any of these is wrong, there is less error at low rpm, it can give a rough idle.

Quote:
Then again maybe this is completely normal? I have seen this does affect almost all makes/models of awd vehicles. Certainly if I hold the brake and gas it the vibration does go away slightly so this would preclude the idle rpm's being the culprit, say 600-800.
I wouldn't say it's normal at all. It affects all makes and models of almost every car. Like I said, I've experienced it and I've fixed it. In terms of cost (minus labor), the fixes I've given you would cost less than $20 with the exception of the O2 sensors. On the other hand, you should replace those anyway if you are over 100k.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
djbradle

Fair enough. I'll try the icv and iat sensor and see where we are.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
BoomerwithBimmer

My Ride: 328 CI 2000
I had this rough idle in R. After $2K of troubleshooting by dealer, a battery die out. Replaced battery a miracle no more rough idle.
BoomerwithBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerwithBimmer View Post
I had this rough idle in R. After $2K of troubleshooting by dealer, a battery die out. Replaced battery a miracle no more rough idle.
You replaced the battery and it fixed your rough idle

I guess low voltage could create some issuses but highly doubt this is the solution to the OP and others including myself.

BTW, the temp hit 55 today and guess who's car starting to idle better...
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #37
dmarshE46

My Ride: 325Xi
Mounts

I had bad vibrations when idling in D or R, with foot on the brake (namely in D at stop lights).....
Horribly annoying.
My shop replaced two motor mounts, and the transfer case bushing.
Made it all go away. Perfect fix (for this problem).....
dmarshE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #38
djbradle

and the transfer case bushing.
^This is what I'm thinking at this point. Once in D or R the transfer case already is taking the power from the tranny. Holding the brake while a T-case bushing is bad could be the very cause when idling.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #39
djbradle

E46er75- Have you every replaced this?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #40
djbradle

How about the Center Support Bearing? Has any Xi'er had this as the culprit?