E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Planet Fitness

lol is this gym actually all over the US?

I saw it on biggest loser too. The lunk alarm is hilarious... no deadlifting? lol
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Yes it actually is. Which reminds me I need to talk to you soon
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
It's all over the damn place. There are like 5 or 6 within 30 miles of my house.

Honestly, for us it's a joke and I was a member there when I was lazy and didn't want to accept the fact that I should squat, deadlift, power clean etc it's bad but it could be worse. If you're willing to compromise you can make progress there. It's also $10-$20 a month and the higher plan allows you to bring a guest every single time if you want.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I can easily do without power cleans, even deadlifts but squats, no way squats are a must.

Last edited by Green_Shine; 03-29-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I can easily do without power cleans, even deadlifts but squats, no way squats are a must.
You can squat there. I did hear of some pfs that didn't have a rack though so your only choice would be smith machine and we know how much that sucks.

Last edited by DylloS; 03-29-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
You can squat there. I did hear of some pfs that didn't have a rack though so your only choice would be smith machine and we know how much that sucks.
Lol I would rather squat without a rack and with a pad before I squat on a smith.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
dabears

promotes a no judgement zone.... has an alarm to alert other gym members to judge someone who grunts
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
promotes a no judgement zone.... has an alarm to alert other gym members to judge someone who grunts
I know you're exaggerating with it, I never heard the alarm go off when dropping weights...as that's is what it is for.

I worked out at one for about 3 months while I was seeing a girl back in Michigan. It was only $15 a month, about, and was right down the road...she also paid for it, worked for me The gym itself isn't bad as you can accomplish a good majority of what you need. Plenty of cardio machines and full weights...just don't go throwing them down on the ground in accomplishment after maxing out.

Atmosphere was fine if you are self motivated and know what you are looking to accomplish. My favorite thing was they had pizza party Friday once a month haha.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
I know you're exaggerating with it, I never heard the alarm go off when dropping weights...as that's is what it is for.

I worked out at one for about 3 months while I was seeing a girl back in Michigan. It was only $15 a month, about, and was right down the road...she also paid for it, worked for me The gym itself isn't bad as you can accomplish a good majority of what you need. Plenty of cardio machines and full weights...just don't go throwing them down on the ground in accomplishment after maxing out.

Atmosphere was fine if you are self motivated and know what you are looking to accomplish. My favorite thing was they had pizza party Friday once a month haha.
The problem is, most people wont throw them in accomplishment. They will have to because they weights are heavy. I would not be where I am today (pretty mediocre lol) if I had to worry about dropping weights.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
dabears

no offense, but you can't be looking to accomplish much strength wise in a gym that openly bashes "lunks" and creates ridiculous stereotypes... I'm sure its not as ridiculous as the video makes it out to be, but the poster said "no deadlifting", and I can guarantee they would consider what I do to be "dropping the weights" when I deadlift... I drop it from about 2 inches off the ground and it makes noise. I'd rather make noise than break my back.

I would say in the realm of grunting I'm "quiet" but I definitely make audible noises on the last couple reps when I'm pushing as hard as I can. In my opinion any gym that frowns on exerting yourself is in the wrong business.

I essentially got the idea this gym is for the watch tv & jog on treadmill or do curls and dumbbell presses and call it a day... and I just can't respect an institution that promotes that ;O
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
no offense, but you can't be looking to accomplish much strength wise in a gym that openly bashes "lunks" and creates ridiculous stereotypes... I'm sure its not as ridiculous as the video makes it out to be, but the poster said "no deadlifting", and I can guarantee they would consider what I do to be "dropping the weights" when I deadlift... I drop it from about 2 inches off the ground and it makes noise. I'd rather make noise than break my back.

I would say in the realm of grunting I'm "quiet" but I definitely make audible noises on the last couple reps when I'm pushing as hard as I can. In my opinion any gym that frowns on exerting yourself is in the wrong business.

I essentially got the idea this gym is for the watch tv & jog on treadmill or do curls and dumbbell presses and call it a day... and I just can't respect an institution that promotes that ;O
You'd be right. All the gym bros I know go there to bench press and curl and play on ellipticals.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
IdahoToyo

At PF, it would be out of accomplishment

And I never was concerned about dropping weights while there, I get just as much on my last three reps and can control them down to the bench or ground. I guess I just don't lift as much weight as you Solly

Edit: I guess what I am saying, the "lunk" alarm never seemed overly sensitive while I was working out there. Dropping the weights from a modest height after sets didn't set it off.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Last edited by IdahoToyo; 04-03-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
At PF, it would be out of accomplishment

And I never was concerned about dropping weights while there, I get just as much on my last three reps and can control them down to the bench or ground. I guess I just don't lift as much weight as you Solly

Edit: I guess what I am saying, the "lunk" alarm never seemed overly sensitive while I was working out there. Dropping the weights from a modest height after sets didn't set it off.
You probably did. I just do many different lifts that the average PF member doesn't do.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
IdahoToyo

That is very true. I'll agree that the weight-lifting aspect of the gym is not there, and that is not what it focuses on. I am just trying to give the gym a little credit for what it is...nothing more nothing less. People often throw it under the bus for being a horrible place to workout. If it gets a few couch dwellers out of their basement and onto a cardio machine, the gym is benefiting the individuals who use it. I found it accommodating to work up a sweat and get a decent workout in when it was the only option.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
dabears

call me in the minority if its true... but my ideal gym has a ton of powerlifting racks with chinup/pullup configurations, deadlift mats/areas, bench presses, bumper plates, kettle-bells, boxes, foam rollers/mats, heavy bag, and dumbbells... in that order of importance to me as well. Couldn't care less if there was a single treadmill/elliptical/bike in the place, or pre-weighted EZ bars etc.

edit: I understand gyms are a business, and that 99% of people are looking for strict cardio / machine workouts. I wish gyms would start to teach them proper exercise instead... wishful thinking considering most trainers are just as bad.

I also found it funny they promote a "intimidation free" atmosphere. If you are intimidated by the strong/fit crowd instead of motivated... you are already failing imo.

Last edited by dabears; 04-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
That is very true. I'll agree that the weight-lifting aspect of the gym is not there, and that is not what it focuses on. I am just trying to give the gym a little credit for what it is...nothing more nothing less. People often throw it under the bus for being a horrible place to workout. If it gets a few couch dwellers out of their basement and onto a cardio machine, the gym is benefiting the individuals who use it. I found it accommodating to work up a sweat and get a decent workout in when it was the only option.
If someones main goal is to look good it can be done easily there. If someone wants to get their entire body stronger while looking good it may be hard.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
call me in the minority if its true... but my ideal gym has a ton of powerlifting racks with chinup/pullup configurations, deadlift mats/areas, bench presses, bumper plates, kettle-bells, boxes, foam rollers/mats, heavy bag, and dumbbells... in that order of importance to me as well. Couldn't care less if there was a single treadmill/elliptical/bike in the place, or pre-weighted EZ bars etc.

edit: I understand gyms are a business, and that 99% of people are looking for strict cardio / machine workouts. I wish gyms would start to teach them proper exercise instead... wishful thinking considering most trainers are just as bad.

I also found it funny they promote a "intimidation free" atmosphere. If you are intimidated by the strong/fit crowd instead of motivated... you are already failing imo.
+100. But on pfs defense I understand the atmosphere/environment they're trying to get to keep their main clients comfortable. You should just accept thats how they work and lift else where if you don't fit the targeted group.

To us it sounds crazy, but to a lot of people, that's what they're looKing for. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
dabears

No I fully understand that, I'm just stubborn and I've always found I can't just accept peoples bs and move on... it leads to lots of headaches, getting better at it. I like to help others I guess, and it bugs me seeing people setting themselves up for failure. Especially because I already went through the motions myself
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
I obviously missed reading this thread before getting my membership
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote