E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
MACKY83

My Ride: 2002 Topaz Blau M3
Driver customized factory options

Once more I ask for some free advice from the friendly vets here in AU. Specifically how can I change the Drive logic setting on my SMG? On start up it's preset to the second shift setting. After five and a bit months of ownership I find I like the third setting for daily driving. Is there a way I can change it so that I don't need to manually change it every time I start up?
Many thanks
Macky
Sent from my GT-I9305 using Bimmer App
MACKY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Reset the smg system.

Drive around 60km/h and put the shifter into neutral then hold both shift paddles in for about 5-10 seconds and then let go and put back in gear. You won't get any form of notification it's been reset but it should do it and then it will learn how you drive and should remember to keep it in the 3rd setting.

Worked for me anyway when I used to have one.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
MACKY83

So I'm coasting down the road doing 60 I throw it into neutral and hold down both paddles for 15 seconds whilst still coasting at 60? If this is a troll that gets me killed I'll haunt your ass! How will I know if it's worked?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Not 15 seconds more like 5-10, I used to do 10 seconds. But yeah 60 then into neutral, hold the paddles both in for 10 seconds, release and put back into gear.

Google SMG reset and you will see it's a common practise among M3 owners. Most are on US threads so they will probably say exactly the same thing but instead of 60km/h it will be 30-40mph.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
MACKY83

Just did a bit more research (it helps when you know what you're vlooking for) and your info is bang on. Thanks mate I'll givevit a shot