E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
backburner

My Ride: bus
Bought a Car, received clean title (at time of purchase), car ends up being salvage

What's are my options of recourse?

Quick run down:

1) Bought a car
2) At time of transaction, we ask seller if car has a clean title, to which the response is Yes.
3) Title provided doesn't indicate SALVAGE

Now, I've never seen what an actual car title looks like if the car is salvage vs. clean

When we go to register, it turns out the car has a salvage title.

I'm guessing the seller provided the original Title, which was printed/generated prior to the car being salvaged.

Edit: I know CarFax would've probably prevented this. But this isn't really my car, I'm trying to help a cousin out. I used "We" for the sake of the thread and relayed information as it was given to me.
backburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Seller lied. Take him to court.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
he may not of lied if a car transfers state its issued a clean title
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy46 View Post
That's called washing the title and as far as I know, it's also illegal.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy46 View Post
Not true when I just did it.
Went from Michigan to NY and NYS had whole inspection for salvage car procedure to make sure it was roadworthy.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
if the car has already gone through salvage inspectiob its given a rebuilt title.. when I moved my rebuilt car was given a clean title.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
ccaudio1

My Ride: 330i
whether its illegal or not i would find out from the dmv if theres a recourse for this. they should have some answers for you.
ccaudio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
badwayz

My Ride: BMW's
This happened to me when I bought my E38, and I was told I could use the court system, but unless there is something in writing saying it has a clean title, it was my word versus the PO's. I will always use Carfax from now on to check before buying a car.
badwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
metallargy

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
If the car was issued a salvage title, then the seller presented you the wrong title.

There's no way the seller wouldn't know the title wasn't salvaged.
He gave you the wrong documentation on purpose with the intent of being deceptive. (old title vs reissued current title)

As far as legal recourse, you'll have to check with the DMV first.
If not, you may unfortunately need legal help.
metallargy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
I thought California had lemon laws...?
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKiepper View Post
I thought California had lemon laws...?
Totally unrelated. Lemon laws only apply to new cars that have factory defects causing the car to be in service for a specified number of consecutive days.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Totally unrelated. Lemon laws only apply to new cars that have factory defects causing the car to be in service for a specified number of consecutive days.
Interesting. Learned something new!

Gonna have to take the guy to court then. .
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Going to court would be the easiest way to get a judgement but even then you can't prove the other party told you it was a clean title. I'm not sure if them presenting you with an older title is enough to prove intentional deception or not. And even if you get a judgement, collecting it is a whole 'nother story. You'd spend tons of time at hearings and filing collections and going after their assets (if they have any) and people can just lie and hide stuff anyway.

You'd be better off spending all that time working an hourly job. You'd end up with more money in the end.

Sorry this happened to you. People suck.

Of course, the easiest way to deal with this would be to hire some muscle and do it the not-quite-so-legal way. but I can't advise you to do that, of course.

Here's another question: Are you going to drive the car into the dirt? If so, who cares it's a salvage title since you inspected it and it looked good enough to buy?
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
California small claims court. You can seek up to 10k and you will win. Because you got a signed receipt of what you at least thought you were buying right?!
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
backburner

My Ride: bus
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Will share this with my cousin and see what route she wants to go.
backburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
$40 and this could've all been avoided. People out there suck, can't trust a sellers word without research, especially private parties. Goodluck with situation. Getting car insurance was probably hard with a salvage title no?
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
California small claims court. You can seek up to 10k and you will win. Because you got a signed receipt of what you at least thought you were buying right?!
Good luck with small claims court. If the receipt is real basic without details, it will be he said/she said in court. If it's not in writing, you will not win. Lesson learned......
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You are asking a legal question that needs a lawyer to arrive at the proper answer.

Having said that, I think the seller passed off a defective product to your sister/cousin/whomever. If you have AAA, the local office might be of service to you. If not, the DMV itself can provide useful information.

Logic says that if the car is salvage, then the seller should disclose that fact. It is a material defect that falls under the disclosure rules. The question here is if "disclosure" is something that pertains to automotive purchases -- when I get ready to sell my house, I must disclose certain kinds of defects; in the automotive world, a salvage title would be a disclosure item. I don't know if the salvage status has to be disclosed, but it should be -- especially in Calif. There is nothing wrong with selling a car with a salvage title, but the buyer must be told that such is the case. Salvage cars present a lifetime of service problems, or potential service problems, that the buyer should know about beforehand.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote