E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
bradnic

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
Speedo/Odo dead after nav retrofit PLEASE HELP

I expect bad news here but you never know.

Just completed an OEM nav+BT retrofit on my 03 E46 M3. everything on the nav/radio/BT side is working perfectly and looks great. One of the steps on the retrofit did involve tapping in to a cluster wire though - pin 8 of the black plug X11175, speedo output signal. see scottjoh's diagram here.

Problem is my speedo is now not working and my odo is not turning.

- I checked the splice I made into pin 8 carefully and there's nothing wrong with it. I removed it anyway just in case.
- I ran test 2 on the cluster and all lights and gauges appear to be working fine.
- I also opened up the cluster and didn't see anything burnt, discolored or fried.

Basically it appears that the cluster is not getting a speed signal. Nothing else looks to be wrong on the cluster side of things, and the nav appears to be working ok.

any suggestions? I do see an A2 instrument cluster control module in WDS and a pic that points to the back of the cluster. I assume that means A2 is part of the cluster circuit board.

i think there's a speed display somewhere on the cluster and nav. will look into those in the meantime.

Last edited by bradnic; 04-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.
bradnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
bradnic

well no surprise to the veterans here I'm sure. turns out I broke the little tabs off the trip reset and clock set buttons when I opened the cluster. Will be doing this repair when I'm finished.

reconnected the cluster with the cover off and then took a jeweler's screwdriver to work the trip reset button. Managed to reach test menu 19 and then 7.3. Confirmed there is NO speed info being presented by the cluster. the OBC screen on the nav also showed no speed info. On the plus side I did see some sort of test odo mileage displayed that was slightly higher than current display... I think this means the speed sensor is working. So this must be an electronics issue? What I don't get it where the error is coming from - cluster? DME? somewhere else?

Really hope somebody who knows this stuff well can provide some input. There's very little info in my TIS DVD or the Bentley that I can see.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
bradnic

anybody?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
bradnic

more info.. ran an OBDII reader, no fault codes present. monitored live data and it does show and update vehicle speed. seems to me the wheel sensors are fine. really hope I get some help here.

thanks for looking.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
bradnic

I'm pretty surprised that noone has replied here despite close to 100 views already. There's no evil motive on this end. I'm not trying to reset my odo or anything. I'm just trying to get my speedo working again, and make sure the correct car mileage appears on the odo since it doesn't seem to be changing now. I have put about 5 miles on the car since the speedo stopped working.

if anyone knows an e46 cluster/electronics person in the chicago area that would be great. If I have to I'll go to the dealer, but would prefer to deal with an independent. If I need to buy a new replacement cluster I'll do that.

thanks again
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
bradnic

114 views, no reply. damn.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
bradnic

really amazed noone has posted anything helpful here. very disappointing.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
bradnic

I found another M3 owner locally with cluster experience. bottom line there are some fried parts on the cluster circuit board, so a component level repair is required. working through that.

really surprised nobody posted here. I find it hard to believe there is better E46 cluster expertise on other forums but that certainly appears to be the case. not trying to offend anyone but I'm really amazed.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol nah, it's mainly because most of the experts have moved on from this site. either upgraded to an m3 (probably went to m3forum) or to newer model cars in their respective forums. at least you got everything resolved now, no thanks to us lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
bradnic

I can definitely understand that. actually the m3forum guys sent me back here :-) you know how it is - everyone wants to add / retrofit electronics to their cars. so usually the "platform" forums have better electronics info. wasn't the case this time.

anyway problem's not fixed by a long shot, but at least I know where to keep looking now. for anyone interested I'm continuing to post about the component level circuit board repair here. probably not for the faint of heart I guess.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
bradnic

Problem solved - check ulf pins 7 & 8

http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=24

DON'T MESS WITH YOUR CLUSTER. Save yourself some pain.
E30 325ix 5 speed Lachssilber - resto in process