E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #81
ThreeOhFive

My Ride: 2002 330i
Another thing to keep in mind though is that the compression test was done cold, the car had been sitting in below zero temps for 3 days...

I'm renting a mini camera and doing some searching around.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #82
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeOhFive View Post
Another thing to keep in mind though is that the compression test was done cold, the car had been sitting in below zero temps for 3 days...

doesnt matter
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #83
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
How would it run with those numbers?
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #84
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:

Temps are not going to change the low numbers. The good cylinders may improve a bit at full operating temp, but the bad ones are bad because the valves are no longer sealing the combustion chamber.

Last edited by APKhaos; 03-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #85
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by APKhaos View Post
Temps are not going to change the low numbers. The good cylinders may improve a bit at full operating temp, but the bad ones are bad because the valves are no longer sealing the combustion chamber.
This
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #86
ThreeOhFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
How would it run with those numbers?
Oddly enough, it starts right up like normal, just a misfire, no odd noises, it moves under its own power.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #87
ThreeOhFive

So it costs like $475 to rent the damn tools to install the head. You get some of it back upon returning the tools. I'm seriously going to have $4,000 invested in matinence over the first 600 miles I've owned this thing.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #88
rudycoop

Quote:
So it costs like $475 to rent the damn tools to install the head. You get some of it back upon returning the tools. I'm seriously going to have $4,000 invested in matinence over the first 600 miles I've owned this thing.
475?! How much of that is a deposit?! I just bought the whole set of tools used of CL for 80 dollars. I lucked out, but I know you can even buy the personal set from German auto solutions for 100. 200 for the real set. WAY better than throwing money out the window renting.

http://www.germanautosolutions.com/b..._bmw_tools.php
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #89
eksath

My Ride: 02 330ci TopazBlue
Quote:
Oddly enough, it starts right up like normal, just a misfire, no odd noises, it moves under its own power.

BMW --> Breaks My Wallet. :-(

Sorry to hear of your issue. As a 330CI manual owner, the "moneyshift" is the bogeyman that I worry about too.

good luck and keep us posted.

www.starracer.us
---------------------------------------------
People believe in Ghosts, UFOs, talking to the dead, advertising, magic, curses, voodoo dolls, Elvis' death faked, the Great Pumpkin, Tupac still lives, the WWF, that all the moon walks were staged, real unstaged audience questions in talk shows, JFK's conspiracy assination theories, TWA 800 shoot down conspiracy theories, the image of the Virgin Mary appearing on a left over pizza, that Dr. Laura has no bias, that homosexuality is a choice, the guests on Jerry Springer, the TV illness of the month, that guns don't hurt people do, that CNN doesn't hype stories, the Osbornes not being staged, that a pill can make you loose weight without ever dieting or excercising, that there's a cure for baldness, aging and being short, that Britney Spears doesn't lip sync, That KFC is a healthy food choice, that the British Royal family isn't disfunctional, that there really were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that all Arabs are the same, that Muslims encompass everyone from Indonesia to Morocco and they are all extremists, that all Americans are the same, that's it's always cold in Canada, that cigarettes aren't addictive, that it's ok to drink but not ok to smoke up.........and on and on and on and on...... so what on Earth makes anyone believe that there is something unusual about people fearing the number 13 or astrology?
eksath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #90
ThreeOhFive

It takes all the fun out of owning this car. It really does. For petes sake, I wasn't even racing it, and have driven manuals my entire life and never missed a gear, except 3rd a few times in the old Camaro, but that was a syncro problem

It suprises me that BMW did nothing about this, despite the fact that it was happening so freuently within the first years of production. All they did is put a "black box" in the car to record this fault, so that the owner would have to cough up $15,000 for a new engine. And, why is it always a missed 4th, got 2nd? That should not be easy to do.

I do take responsibility for making this error, too, but I was just out for a Sunday drive when it happened. This has been an issue since the E36, time for BMW to start changing to gated shifters, or making modifications to the very tight shift pattern.

Last edited by ThreeOhFive; 04-01-2013 at 07:16 AM.
ThreeOhFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #91
rudycoop

I often drive my buddies e36 M3 with a total slop box. At first I was finding 5th instead of 3rd. I got used to it very quickly and never miss a gear. I don't understand how people do this so often. A Sunday drive with some extremely rough shifting maybe...
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #92
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksath View Post
BMW --> Breaks My Wallet. :-(

Never heard that. It is so obvious. I guess I'm a virgin . . . or something.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #93
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
It takes all the fun out of owning this car. It really does. For petes sake, I wasn't even racing it, and have driven manuals my entire life and never missed a gear, except 3rd a few times in the old Camaro, but that was a syncro problem

It suprises me that BMW did nothing about this, despite the fact that it was happening so freuently within the first years of production. All they did is put a "black box" in the car to record this fault, so that the owner would have to cough up $15,000 for a new engine. And, why is it always a missed 4th, got 2nd? That should not be easy to do.

I do take responsibility for making this error, too, but I was just out for a Sunday drive when it happened. This has been an issue since the E36, time for BMW to start changing to gated shifters, or making modifications to the very tight shift pattern.
bmw makes a driving machine. They use fluid filled mounts becuase it makes it more pleasant to drive. Unfortunately when those mounts fail (usually after the warrentee expires I assume) things get sloppy fast. Maybe Mango will make us a thread identifying all fluid filled rubber parts - and how to replace them.

A missed shift is driver error. I'm glad you are taking responsibility for your error. Sounds like you were passing and hit wrong gear. bummer. It could be you made a mistake, or, it could be a fluid filled rubber mount gave away at the wrong time (I assume they usually give out due a combination of age, and hard use) When they dump their fluid - they quickly change from good to crap. In a 10 year old car you have to assume rubber is getting old - and drive accordingly - unless you have replaced it all. Fluid filled rubber is both the best and worse - works great when new - fails more suddenly. Is more expensive to replace. That is why a 10 year old bmw is so cheap for what you get - you have to expect expensive parts to fail - or to replace them all
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #94
mgilardi86

My Ride: 02 ///M3 6MT Coupe
You think BMW should comp you a new engine because you money shifted your ten year old 3 series? What planet do you live on
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #95
ThreeOhFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilardi86 View Post
You think BMW should comp you a new engine because you money shifted your ten year old 3 series? What planet do you live on
Heck no, I'm admitting driver error on my part.

But I'm just saying, I've driven manual cars and trucks for 6 years, NEVER missed 4th... I will never drive my car the same after this. I hate to say this, but its really going to take the fun factor out of driving, given how heavily I will have to consider every gear change.

I'm driving around an old Mazda Protege right now and coming home to a lifeless BMW that I just paid $11k for a month ago sitting in the corner of my driveway... It sucks, big time. That car is my baby, and this experience will cost me $2,500, a few grey hairs, and financial strain. I had literely just bought this car. And I still have to put a new fp, wp, idler pulley, and clutch, change the fluids, this car is running me $4,000 in it's first 16 days of being mine.

Last edited by ThreeOhFive; 04-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
ThreeOhFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #96
ThreeOhFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
Never heard that. It is so obvious. I guess I'm a virgin . . . or something.
Here's one...

///M = Money pit.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #97
ThreeOhFive

Alright guys, got a borescope from work, already got the coverd and filters removed, coil packs popped up, about ready to start searching... I'm hoping to not find anything too major with the pistons.

I've got a used head lined up, pressure tested good, so hopefully I will be good to go after I get it redecked so its perfectly flat. I'm going to do A LOT of the work do my mechanic doesn't have to, removing all the easier things, etc.

I'm just praying that the bottom end is okay :/ will have updates later today!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #98
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
I sacrificed a goat to ensure that your bottom end is OK. You've had enough pain.........for now.
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #99
ThreeOhFive

Lol well it died for a very nice E46 ha. I've endured endless pain since it happened. So has my car
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #100
ThreeOhFive

Update,

I pulled all the plugs and boots, all the plugs are well used and in need of replacement, but, on cylinder 1, there is oil on the plug, and splattered on the boot, as well as oil residue in the chamber. I believe that cylinder only had 20 psi. Could this indicate a damaged piston, or is it consistant of a badly bent valve, or several on the cylinder?

The camera is too big, I need a smaller one. So for now, I can't do much more.