E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Diabolu$

My Ride: 330 ci supercharged
Question FI Most Extreme camshafts

Im looing for Most Extreme camshafts to put on my supercharged m54b30.
I dont want to get low tq and hp untill 6000RPM, need to get the best in all respects.
The engine will work 7500RPM redline.

I need to know all technical info (angles, elevations etc).

The camshafts will be used with hard pushers.

so if you have an info about spring i will be glad to hear also.

May be i will use another valves, but not planning to spend too much $ for it.

I have opportunity to make custom camshafts so i belive to make it the best.

Thank you very
Diabolu$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
custom is the way to go.

I would suggest to rev 8500 rpm and get custom camshafts / solid lifters / proper springs.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I would highly recommend against an 8500 rpm or even a 7500 rpm rev limit for an M54B30. It's going to take a lot more than solid lifters and upgraded valve springs to support those kinds of engine speeds - it's the bottom end you really need to worry about. With enough money anything is possible but, IMHO, the M54B30 is simply a really poor starting point if you're wanting to build something to run high rpm reliably.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Diabolu$

My Ride: 330 ci supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
custom is the way to go.

I would suggest to rev 8500 rpm and get custom camshafts / solid lifters / proper springs.
I need to get technical information, what exactly I must to do with camshafts.?
Diabolu$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
big duration + lift. tune vanos (or dial in cams) to give large lope separation angle..

wouldnt worry so much about the cams as headwork + manifold.

next Q: what do you plan to do with this poor thing with a 1500 rpm operating range?
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaang View Post
big duration + lift. tune vanos (or dial in cams) to give large lope separation angle..

wouldnt worry so much about the cams as headwork + manifold.

next Q: what do you plan to do with this poor thing with a 1500 rpm operating range?
I think you misunderstood. low torque is at something like 2K RPM, max power at 6K, redline at 7.x K rpm.

He will see something like a 4K rpm peak operating window.

If anyone has definitive information here, please post. Cam configuration are almost a black art. Very dependent on performance goals.

Lobe separation is a tune issue here; the engine has vanos.

Is it correct to say that more lift duration is normally more a requisite for high RPM applications? Maybe Vanos can compensate by reducing the lobe overlap (increasing Lobe separation). Old hot-rods with round lobes often sound bubbly and don't idle well because of too much lobe overlap meant for higher RPM operation.

Is it true that there is an optimum lift value that is roughly based on valve size, above which you don't see performance gains? If a project insists on more lift, it basically puts more strain, wear, and tear on the valvetrain than is needed.

An agressive cam profile is defined as how fast the profile will cause the valves to open and close, it's determined by how "steep" the profile gets. Some agressive cams even have a slight concavity at some moment in the lobe profile. The problem is that agressive profile exacerbates the problem of valve float; you need stiffer springs and/or a more rounded peak (more duration).

Obviously lighter valves and retainers are desirable since less intertial mass means valve springs can be softer.

The OP should call a shop that works with custom cams, the details and considerations in topic obviously can go way beyond wrenching.

Last edited by FragNasty; 04-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I would highly recommend against an 8500 rpm or even a 7500 rpm rev limit for an M54B30. It's going to take a lot more than solid lifters and upgraded valve springs to support those kinds of engine speeds - it's the bottom end you really need to worry about. With enough money anything is possible but, IMHO, the M54B30 is simply a really poor starting point if you're wanting to build something to run high rpm reliably.
Werd. Not to mention the head work involved. Easily a $10k engine unless you want it to fall apart. My biggest concern is finding a tuner especially for an MS45 DME.

But what's the point? More power? If you wanna do it half a$$ed just turn up the boost.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Op, how about getting some zhp cams? No guess work on the small(important) details.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
There's a more aggressive grind than 248/256 readily available but you really should address the bottom end first if max power is the goal.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Alun1976

My Ride: BMW Z4
Anyone have any 248/256 schrick cams for sale? What is the concern about the bottom end and how can it be remedied?

Cheers

Al
Alun1976 is offline   Reply With Quote