E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
I have this one http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...6&blockType=G6 and it has been great for the year I have owned it. I have no complaints whatsoever, but would definitely consider a self propelled one for 1/2 acre. I only have about 550sf of grass.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
WerksM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
My craftsman was given to me by my Dad over 15 years ago. Still going strong, but have replaced almost everything except for the engine. New wheels, bag, pull cord, oil and filters every year. I imagine it will last another 15 years if I continue to service it yearly. I also have about 1/2 acre of grass on 1 acre lot.

It's a well oiled machine it still starts on 1st pull.

With that being said they probably made better units 15 years ago than they do today.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Craftsman all day
Old 04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
I have a 6 hp Craftsman that looks similar to the one you want.

I change the oil,the spark plug and the air filter every year and buy a new blade every other year. A new blade does not cost much more than it costs to get it sharpened. I also wash off the lawn mower with the garden hose after I use it.

You don't need a bag because most all lawnmowers have a mulching capacity and it is actually good for the grass.

I have had it since 2000 and I have not had any problems with it. It's been good to me.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
I have a 20 year old Toro mulching mower. Thing runs like a champ. Trick is to keep them in good order. Grease the wheels every season, clean airfilter, new plugs, fresh oil, sharp blade, adjust cables. Toro has always been good quality.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
I need a lawnmower now!

My push mower is a toro that's 10 years old and has been doing great. Lowes has a 18 no interest right now which could help you out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I bought a commercial Honda back in 1996 with the Xenoy deck... $615 I think. It's an HRM-215. I never had an issue with mower engines... I can take care of them. It was the mower deck always rusting out or something else breaking. The Xenoy deck will never rust and can't be crushed even if a tank runs over it.

It has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull even after sitting all winter. I had to fix the transmission (It's self propelled) about 3 years ago and I have replaced the wheels once as I usually mow twice per week and the treads were worn smooth. I've run Mobil 1 in it since the 1st oil change. I'm on my 3rd set of mulching blades and 3rd spark plug.

I just had to clean out the carb this Spring as I always just let it sit with gas in it over Winter. Apparently the float bowl has been catching a little water over the years and had a few rust flakes in it. This clogged the jets. A quick clean out and she's running better than ever.

I wouldn't buy a Honda car over a BMW... But I wouldn't own anything else as a mower.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
just bought a greenworks electric mower from lowes. haven't tried it yet. i am moving to a new house with a big ass yard, so this is replacing my reel mower. i love not buying gas and the lower noise/maintenance.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Electric mower and big ass yard? That seems like a recipe for disaster...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I like my lawnmowers as I do my cars....gas engines

All of my other lawn stuff is electric or battery operated (trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, etc)...can't stand dealing with finicky gas operated / 2 cycle stuff. I've sold off all my 2 cycle equipment.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
Fatrusty

My Ride: '04 325i
Husqvarna with a Honda engine. Front wheel drive, big wheels in back. Lowes for $325... Got it 1 month ago and damn happy.
Fatrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Electric mower and big ass yard? That seems like a recipe for disaster...
it's 13 amp corded. 21" deck. we'll see how much of a pain the cord is. hopefully less of a pain than buying nasty gas all the time and having to rebuild the carburetor and clean the filters/winterize it each year.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
it's 13 amp corded. 21" deck. we'll see how much of a pain the cord is. hopefully less of a pain than buying nasty gas all the time and having to rebuild the carburetor and clean the filters/winterize it each year.

The John Deere mower I have now is from the early 90's and has never had the carb rebuilt, just drain the gas, seafoam in first tank of the year, and spray some carb clean every so often. Cleaning the filters and draining the gas once a year takes far less time and effort than running an extension cord around your yard and then coiling it back up again EVERY WEEK (or more).
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #34
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
The John Deere mower I have now is from the early 90's and has never had the carb rebuilt, just drain the gas, seafoam in first tank of the year, and spray some carb clean every so often. Cleaning the filters and draining the gas once a year takes far less time and effort than running an extension cord around your yard and then coiling it back up again EVERY WEEK (or more).
you forgot the time it takes to bring the gas can to the gas station, sit there filling it up, drive home while it is sloshing around in your car, making your car smell like gas, and then the couple of minutes it takes to fill the tank. each mow will cost me $0.18 gas is over $4.18.gallon now advantage, electric
Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
SamDoe1

Quote:
you forgot the time it takes to bring the gas can to the gas station, sit there filling it up, drive home while it is sloshing around in your car, making your car smell like gas, and then the couple of minutes it takes to fill the tank. each mow will cost me $0.18 gas is over $4.18.gallon now advantage, electric
Eh, could go either way. I have electric garden tools and I hate them with a passion. Dragging that cord around really sucks.

Gas here is $3.50ish a gallon.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #36
Raymond42262

Quote:
Eh, could go either way. I have electric garden tools and I hate them with a passion. Dragging that cord around really sucks.

Gas here is $3.50ish a gallon.
I wonder how long it will be before they develop cordless lawnmowers that use battery packs like cordless drills.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I wonder how long it will be before they develop cordless lawnmowers that use battery packs like cordless drills.
minus 5 years ago

they have them, even at stores like lowes, but they are best for small yards. they don't have the power like a corded.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #38
Raymond42262

Quote:
minus 5 years ago

they have them, even at stores like lowes, but they are best for small yards. they don't have the power like a corded.
I have seen those. But they have big batteries. I was thinking about he small ones like they have for drills. And maybe insert 2,3 of the small ones that can be interchanged with drills , not ones specific to lawnmowers.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #39
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I have seen those. But they have big batteries. I was thinking about he small ones like they have for drills. And maybe insert 2,3 of the small ones that can be interchanged with drills , not ones specific to lawnmowers.
the motor has too big of a power draw to use the smaller batteries. there are smaller tools such as blowers and weed whackers that do use the drill batteries. a few of the mowers also have removable batteries so that you can charge one while using the other, however they are about the size of a car battery.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #40
SamDoe1

Quote:
the motor has too big of a power draw to use the smaller batteries. there are smaller tools such as blowers and weed whackers that do use the drill batteries. a few of the mowers also have removable batteries so that you can charge one while using the other, however they are about the size of a car battery.
Well a Tesla roadster ran on a sh!t ton of laptop batteries so it's just a matter of providing enough juice to get it going...and time for technology to catch up. Putting 3-4 drill batteries in it isn't completely crazy but I can't imagine those batteries lasting more than like 10-15 minutes in a lawn mower...

Last edited by SamDoe1; 06-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.