E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
josenne

My Ride: 03 325i
RPM Issues

Hello Everyone,

I am reaching out for some help with an RPM issue. I have searched around and tried a few solutions, but to no avail.

Symptoms:
-Upon starting, the car will idle somewhere in the 400-1000 RPM range, but will not settle properly, feels very rough (shaking), and "clunks". See the linked youtube video (), and listen towards the end for the clunking.
-If I push the accelerator (not to the floor, just some) the engine will rev-up after a bit of a lag, and the problem die off. After about 30s-1min I can usually let it come back to idle and it will not be as bad. This occurs on most starts, cold or not
-While driving on a relatively level road I set the cruise control at ~40 mph and the tach searched from 1400-2500 RPM, all the while maintaining the correct speed.
-It has stalled out on me a few times when I let off the accelerator prior to making a turn.
-Autozone trip for a code reading gives P0171 and P0174 as well as their counterparts with the strange % symbol.

Steps I have taken so far:
-The first thing I did was remove and inspect the air intake boots, and clean the idle control valve. I also cleaned the MAF sensor at this time. The air filter is a k&n type (with small amount of oil), so I clean the MAF sensor every few thousand miles anyways.
-In getting to the ICV I noticed that the DISA valve was malfunctioning (no tension on the flapper), so I repaired it with the kit from germanautosolutions.
-Though the associated codes were not being thrown, I replaced the camshaft position sensors, since that seemed to be a common item that would lead to these sorts of issues
-Replaced spark plugs
-I also ran seafoam through the secondary air intake
-Though not part of this round of repairs, I replaced the fuel filter ~20k miles ago.

Things I have not done but have come up on other threads:
-MAF replace
-CCV
-VANOS
-take to professional (BMW is an hour+ away; I have not yet found a local indy shop, but I am currently leaning towards trying this route)

I would appreciate any suggestions on things to try and diagnose next. I would like to avoid throwing parts at the problem, but at the same time the local place I called charged $75 just for me to come in the door, and would not even waive that it if I left it there for repair

Last edited by josenne; 03-31-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: updating latest repair attempts
josenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Br0k3nLiNk

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci
I know it sounds a little stupid and minor, but I had this on my old E36 and had to clean all my spark plugs. Although it turned out one was slightly lose so not sure if it was that.

Shakey idle and then fine when revved.

Edit: almost seemed like running on 5 cylinders until revved..

Last edited by Br0k3nLiNk; 03-30-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Br0k3nLiNk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
josenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0k3nLiNk View Post
I know it sounds a little stupid and minor, but I had this on my old E36 and had to clean all my spark plugs. Although it turned out one was slightly lose so not sure if it was that.

Shakey idle and then fine when revved.

Edit: almost seemed like running on 5 cylinders until revved..
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the spark plugs (went ahead and replaced them while I had them out), but the problem persists...
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Those codes you posted mean the mixture is too lean and that's usually caused by a vacuum leak. Go through the intake with a fine tooth comb.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Br0k3nLiNk

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
Those codes you posted mean the mixture is too lean and that's usually caused by a vacuum leak. Go through the intake with a fine tooth comb.
I didn't notice the codes in his post lol, mine does those warning lights every time I do a long journey but never stays lit. Need to hunt my issue too.

From when I looked up people say what Dave has suggested. I cant remember the forum that i saw it but a lot of the time it can be components in the fuel system restricting petrol flow. Could be the pump or a dodgy injector(s)?
Br0k3nLiNk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Suggest you read the first link below in my signature.

Very common problem areas are intake boots being cracked, fuel pressure regulator vacuum line cracked/broken, SAP vacuum lines cracked/broken around the valve cover, SAP hoses cracked/broken.

One very simple but overlooked problem is the CCV lower oil return line that connects to the base of the dipstick tube.

Also pay careful attention to the DISA section.

If it is rubber or plastic and under the hood, it needs to be replaced!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 04-01-2013 at 05:28 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
josenne

Thanks for the links jfoj.

I have already replaced the flapper in the DISA valve (which I know goes against your suggestion) and put in the associated o-ring, and I have previously needed to replace my rubber intake boots, so I know exactly the types of problems you are talking about there. This afternoon I will remove the CCV oil drain hose and inspect it, which is something I have not yet done. For prudence I will also re-check my intake boots and spray some brake cleaner around the DISA, throttle body, and ICV mating points just to make certain they are not the sources. If those don't yield anything I will go over the "other areas to look" section you pointed out.

Last edited by josenne; 04-01-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
josenne

Hello everyone. I wanted to post an update on my findings. It turns out that I did not inspect my lower intake boot quite carefully enough, and I have a pretty sizable hole (or 3) in the rubber. I had concentrated on the lower boot when checking things before, as that is where I previously ran into issues. Additionally, it appears that the lower oil drain hose from the CCV is broken (I have only felt it, as I am going to wait for the new part to arrive before removing the old). Nobody near me seems to have these parts, so it is more of the hurry up and wait game. Thanks again to jfoj for pointing out the common problems to check (of which I had 2).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	499018  

Last edited by josenne; 04-05-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Jfoj it. I just jfoj'd it this weekend after my car started misfiring and it has given me a buttery smooth idle. Also, if you replace the DISA, go ahead and get the upgraded flurosilicone o-ring. Scrape off the dinky molded o-ring. It got flatter already and I just installed the DISA a week ago. It still seals nice, but I noticed a difference.

You'll also notice better response from a stop, and MUCH better MPG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL

Last edited by Zell; 04-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote