E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Robaidh

My Ride: e46 318 2.0 coupe
how do i detail my freshly painted car?

Hi folks

i have a ok knollage on how to detail a car. However i am in the middle of doing a Full color change on my bm. its going frozen white with blue pearl through the clear coat and a black high gloss roof and wing mirrors and lip spoiler. the original colour is topaz blue.

I am just wonder how soon after it rolls out the booth can i detail it, (i hate having a dirty car)

also what stuff is the best to use and what stuff should i NOT use?

thanks robaidh
Robaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
It can be cleaned right away, but not waxed. Most shops will do a wet sand and buff to knock down any orange peel so in most cases it has already been cleaned up before you picked it up.

I would ask this same question of your paint guy to see what his answer is as well.

Please post pics too :-)
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Robaidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
It can be cleaned right away, but not waxed. Most shops will do a wet sand and buff to knock down any orange peel so in most cases it has already been cleaned up before you picked it up.

I would ask this same question of your paint guy to see what his answer is as well.

Please post pics too :-)
hi thanks for the reply. its me and my pal thats doing it, hes a sprayer to trade. he said 3-4 weeks but i just want to get more than one oppinion.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
HAND wax with turtle wax caranuba. Give a nice sheen and eye popping finish to the paint. And im on for pics too!

[bimmerapp]

Last edited by taveet330i; 04-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.
taveet330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Robaidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taveet 330i Dallas View Post
HAND wax with turtle wax caranuba. Give a nice sheen and eye popping finish to the paint. And im on for pics too!

[bimmerapp]
cool thanks dude, yeh i will post a thread up with pics of the process and finnished article. hopefully get it painted later this week or next week
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaidh View Post
Hi folks

i have a ok knollage on how to detail a car.
You most certainly do!!!

Rule of thumb for me... washing is fine, don't wax the car for a month. Nowadays paints cure from the heat/lighting in paint booth, but i always stick to what i was told years ago. Half peace of mind, half ignorance.

JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Robaidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
You most certainly do!!!

Rule of thumb for me... washing is fine, don't wax the car for a month. Nowadays paints cure from the heat/lighting in paint booth, but i always stick to what i was told years ago. Half peace of mind, half ignorance.

Okay thank you, should i just use a shampoo and stay away from shampoo and wax wash?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Always stay away from the shampoo/wash mix, its a marketing gimmick and it does nothing for the car...
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Robaidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
Always stay away from the shampoo/wash mix, its a marketing gimmick and it does nothing for the car...
okay yeh i had kinda though that myself, thanks for the help
Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Robaidh

thanks for the help guys
Old 04-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Since it is being done by a friend I would look into a few "how to wet sand and buff" fresh paint diy, or pay a pro to do it, it will make all the difference in the world. It can make a decent paint job look much more professional.

I recently had my winter truck painted by a hack on the cheap and it looked so bad I did a full wet sand and buff on it, and it looks super now, but I used to paint cars many years ago and feel comfortable enough. It is not for the faint of heart as burn throughs can be heartbreaking.

Last edited by Brevik; 04-05-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taveet 330i Dallas View Post

[bimmerapp]
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

wrong

wrong

You do NOT wax or put any sort of sealant on a freshly painted car unless it has already been baked. New paint needs time to cure!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
DO NOT apply a wax, sealant or coating type products on new (non OEM) paint

Be cognizant that OEM and refinish paint used by body shops are different formulations, even if it’s the same paint manufacturer; this is due to the way the paint is cured. OEM paint is applied to a body that has no wiring, upholstery and etc so it can be subjected to elevated temperatures that would not be possible on a refinished vehicle

The majority of refinish paint is supplied by BASF DuPont, PPG and Sherwin Williams is 2K (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems; one component is polyisocyanate and the second is a polyol (acrylic or polyester polyol). Solvent-based paints (which still constitutes the majority of what is still being used, low solvent content VOC compliant) once the two components react they form a strong polymer chain. Or a water-based paint, much more prevalent in European imports than US mfg vehicles

Newly applied paint is soft, much softer than OEM paint, dehydration (drying) is a different process from cross-linking; while newly refinished paint is about 90% cured within 24 hours, even with the help of a drying oven and various additives, and will fully harden (dehydrate) after 60-90 days dependent upon local environmental conditions

Fresh paint safe glaze’ - while a paint is cross linking, using solvent- based waxes or sealants is not ideal since the solvents penetrate the paint and soften it and will interfere with the outgas / cross linking process.
The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine or mineral oils(to produce a high shine) and a mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’ for the same reasons

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ water-based or polymer type product, Zaino Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) Optimum Car Wax is water-based and is safe on fresh paint, or use Presta Fast it’s a liquefied paste wax manufactured with premium, natural and synthetic ingredients. This unique wax can be applied over 24-hour old clear coat and single-stage finishes without risk of die back, because it creates a breathable film that permits solvents to cross the wax film. Allow an ‘initial gas off’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic process of 7 days before application

These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in a water-based paint to outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface.

After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

If in doubt ask the body shop or the person who painted your vehicle
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
If you listen to any post, excluding the one above, you should save your money and wait till you have enough to get a new car..... Listening to most of the posts here will ruin it...

If you really car about your paint, listen to the above post and YouTube Junkman2000. You'll get plenty of great tips and advise on how to properly care for your paint...

BTW- if you even attempt to put Turtle Wax on your car, well just please don't do it. You'd have better luck pissing on it....

Last edited by ccagle; 04-06-2013 at 06:08 AM.
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
You should ask whoever painted the car but usually it's 4-12 weeks before you can PUT ANYTHING ON THE PAINT. My friend just had a car painted and was told to only clean it with water before 8 weeks before he can do anything else.

The painter will know best depending on whatever paint they used.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Robaidh

okay thanks guys that's a big help, as i said earlier i just wanted a second opinion so that i don't go and destroy my new paint job.

thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Robaidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
DO NOT apply a wax, sealant or coating type products on new (non OEM) paint

Be cognizant that OEM and refinish paint used by body shops are different formulations, even if it’s the same paint manufacturer; this is due to the way the paint is cured. OEM paint is applied to a body that has no wiring, upholstery and etc so it can be subjected to elevated temperatures that would not be possible on a refinished vehicle

The majority of refinish paint is supplied by BASF DuPont, PPG and Sherwin Williams is 2K (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems; one component is polyisocyanate and the second is a polyol (acrylic or polyester polyol). Solvent-based paints (which still constitutes the majority of what is still being used, low solvent content VOC compliant) once the two components react they form a strong polymer chain. Or a water-based paint, much more prevalent in European imports than US mfg vehicles

Newly applied paint is soft, much softer than OEM paint, dehydration (drying) is a different process from cross-linking; while newly refinished paint is about 90% cured within 24 hours, even with the help of a drying oven and various additives, and will fully harden (dehydrate) after 60-90 days dependent upon local environmental conditions

Fresh paint safe glaze’ - while a paint is cross linking, using solvent- based waxes or sealants is not ideal since the solvents penetrate the paint and soften it and will interfere with the outgas / cross linking process.
The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine or mineral oils(to produce a high shine) and a mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’ for the same reasons

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ water-based or polymer type product, Zaino Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) Optimum Car Wax is water-based and is safe on fresh paint, or use Presta Fast it’s a liquefied paste wax manufactured with premium, natural and synthetic ingredients. This unique wax can be applied over 24-hour old clear coat and single-stage finishes without risk of die back, because it creates a breathable film that permits solvents to cross the wax film. Allow an ‘initial gas off’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic process of 7 days before application

These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in a water-based paint to outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface.

After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

If in doubt ask the body shop or the person who painted your vehicle

Hi wow thanks for all the info. big help

we are useing ford frozen white 2k (2pack) if thats any help?

Can i use a presher washer and snow foam?
can i use normal car shampoo to was the car?
and can you give me some names/brands of any other products that i need to apply to the paint or any products that can apply to the paint so that i can get a good shine?

thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
1. Can i use a presher washer and snow foam? Yes

2. can i use normal car shampoo to was the car? Make sure it doesn't contain wax

3. and can you give me some names/brands of any other products that i need to apply to the paint or any products that can apply to the paint so that i can get a good shine?Optimum Car Wax
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Robaidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
1. Can i use a presher washer and snow foam? Yes

2. can i use normal car shampoo to was the car? Make sure it doesn't contain wax

3. and can you give me some names/brands of any other products that i need to apply to the paint or any products that can apply to the paint so that i can get a good shine?Optimum Car Wax
grate thank you. should i leave it a couple weeks before washing it? and how long before i can wax it i normally youse auto glym HD wax?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaidh View Post
grate thank you. should i leave it a couple weeks before washing it? and how long before i can wax it i normally youse auto glym HD wax?
Contact the painter. Depending on the paint you might not be able to use ANY type of cleaner on the paint besides water. I would not listen to people on the forums regarding which products you used, because they don't know the paint used. It's better to be safe than sorry.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detailing, fresh paint, wax