E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
I'm trying to be open minded about this since lighting your ass on fire is no laughing matter. I've never heard of heated seats catching on fire before. If they had, it surely would have been on the national news. Anyone know if heated seats have ever been recalled from any auto manufacturer for catching on fire?

Frankly, I'm skeptical about the pic. It looks like the burning occurred from the top down. It also looks like the hole may have been trimmed, it looks too squarish but can't be sure about that. Also note the two smaller burns below the hole; they look like something hot burned it from the top.

Hmmm, good luck taking that to BMW.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 04-05-2013 at 08:23 AM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
OP smokes Cigar in BMW, Drops huge cherry near his leg, panics and pulls over and stamps out burning leather with fist, calls BMW NA and claims seat heater caught fire = gets new seat. Classic!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adionik View Post
Sounds like someone was in the.......HOT SEAT
Looks more like he was in the..... DANGER ZONE!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #24
revsta

My Ride: 200 328i
Send a message via AIM to revsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
I'm trying to be open minded about this since lighting your ass on fire is no laughing matter. I've never heard of heated seats catching on fire before. If they had, it surely would have been on the national news. Anyone know if heated seats have ever been recalled from any auto manufacturer for catching on fire?

Frankly, I'm skeptical about the pic. It looks like the burning occurred from the top down. It also looks like the hole may have been trimmed, it looks too squarish but can't be sure about that. Also note the two smaller burns below the hole; they look like something hot burned it from the top.

Hmmm, good luck taking that to BMW.
edit: I've also seen, as have others in this thread, this issue among BMWs and non BMWs. A quick google search will yield results.

I knew people would say that. Why would I make this up when I do all the maintenance on my car myself anyway, have bought and put in part after part etc. Don't you think it would be pretty easy to figure out the problem by just turning on my driver's side seat warmer again and watching it smoke?

First of all, I don't smoke. Second of all, the spot on the seat is covered by my leg, third of all, dropping a cigarette briefly onto my seat would not yield the melting you see -- I also doubt it would have any effect as the cigarette would most likely land on its side rather than standing straight up on the lit end....and would not burn through my seat even if I left it sitting there for 10 minutes.

So anyway. The seat heater on my driver's side did that while I was driving. I was able to catch it due to smoke rising up from between my legs, and as I've said before, the passenger side one gets uncomfortably hot, almost bordering on burning your leg depending on where you touch. Touching certain spots with bare skin definitely feels like a minor burn if you kept your hand there.

Last edited by revsta; 04-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
revsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Hmmm, you may be on to something here. VW had a recall for their heated seats catching fire. Not so skeptical anymore.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
This isn't a common issue with E46s. I've heard of it happening in other cars. Did your car come with heated seats from the factory? Isn't there a fuse for the heated seats? Was it replaced with a bigger fuse?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
revsta

My Ride: 200 328i
Send a message via AIM to revsta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
This isn't a common issue with E46s. I've heard of it happening in other cars. Did your car come with heated seats from the factory? Isn't there a fuse for the heated seats? Was it replaced with a bigger fuse?
Yeah it did. No fuse changes that I'm aware of. Stock seats. Everything stock. The only thing I've changed on this car is the e-brake handle.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
nae36

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Looks more like he was in the..... DANGER ZONE!!!

Lana.. lana... LLAANNAAAA!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nae36 View Post
Lana.. lana... LLAANNAAAA!!!!!!
What the ****, Lana?!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Is it possible someone flicked the cherry off their cig and it flew into your car? Check that pair of pants you were wearing

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Well, my seat heater got really hot (I mean unbearable) a few times, even on the low heat (one light) setting. Once on highway I had to keep turning the heater on and off to avoid being burnt.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
Is it possible someone flicked the cherry off their cig and it flew into your car? Check that pair of pants you were wearing
all i could think of at first was The Big Lebowski
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
nae36

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
What the ****, Lana?!
Archer reference.

about 40 seconds in, potentially NSFW haven't watched whole clip.

Last edited by nae36; 04-05-2013 at 06:02 PM.
nae36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #34
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
lol
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Actually, I had similar incident.
On my previous e46, heated seat got so hot it actually melted down leatherette little.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #36
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
There's a thermocoupler or something in the seat somewhere. Mine doesn't work, but the heated seat does. I just turn it off after a minute or so...the 'low temp' setting doesn't seem to work...seems to be not an uncommon issue.

Haven't searched yet to see about getting to this thermocoupler, but I have a feeling it's not so easy to get to.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #37
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
You should get a new seat out of this. BMW is recalling E60's and several others for battery fires that have burned down some houses. Tell them you are very worried about this happening to you.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #38
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Same here. The lowest setting is kinda scalding for my tush.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote