E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
So 3 weeks into owning the car, decided it was time to stop being so nice and beat up on her a little. Went to Putnam Park on Friday with 10/10ths Motorsports. The car is bone stock except for some used Star Specs for tires. The car was great at the track except for brakes. Stock pads fade extremely bad when used hard. I seriously could only get about 3 hot laps in before I started to lose them. Fluid seemed to hold up ok as my pedal isn't soft now, but the pads are pretty glazed over. Will reluctantly be moving to Hawk HP+ and dealing with school bus squeal due to my disappointment in the stock brakes.

Managed a 1:24.9 at Putnam, which I think is pretty on par for where I should have been. Tony from TiC was there driving with Greg and his BRZ. The BRZ has koni yellows, RCE springs, camber plates, and 255 wide RS3s. Tony was able to do mid 1:22's. I think the koni's are the biggest thing I could have hoped for as a small expense, as the car was really unhappy over some of the bumps and off camber stuff at the limit, where the BRZ seemed to tackle them with ease. Corner 4 and coming out of 9 is where Tony really left me bad.

Anyways, here's video of my final session, brakes are pretty bad at this point and the star specs were pretty effing hot. My buddy Tom is in the blue miata, the kid is an alien when it comes to driving. It's close to a spec miata build in a street car, on R888's. Watch towards the end to see Greg turning the BRZ into a lawn mower

And here's video from the Cincy SCCA Test and Tune yesterday. Brought my car out for shits and giggles even though we were there to tune up my friend Holly's FR-S for RTR competition this year. Still stock, gross brakes... Her car has konis, a front bar (Strano I believe), camber bolts, an alignment, and new Rivals. My car was a BLAST to drive because it was so twitchy. I managed a 44.6 on the course in mine. After tweaking Holly's a bit, I got hers down to a 43.6. Strano had the car set up really really well without even driving it. We took some rebound out of the front and it went from pushy to neutral in an instance. Very happy with it, and might play with tire pressures a bit at the NJ Pro in a couple weeks to help free the back end up again. The Rivals have a ton of grip but punish the hell out of you if you go over the limit on them. Anyways, here's my 44.6 with my party arms in full swing, and I'll try to get the video from Holly's car up here too.

Oh, wow! The second video, especially, is incredible! That's proper use of a sports car!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
not i'm being a dick, but just more curious. does it feel underpowered? i really like the way the car looks, but it just seems to be very underpowered to me? i've heard they handle awesome, but was always curious about how the power feels.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #23
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Yeah, it's not a corvette, Z4M, or even an S2000. This is definitely a Miata competitor.

As soon as you drive the car, you realize it's not about the raw speed or its ability to push you back in your seat. But then you push it hard, look in the mirror, and see this huge grin on your face. I love it 1000x more than I ever loved my Z4, and the Z would eat this car for lunch in a drag race. I got a few 14.1s out of the Z, and apparently a high 14.7 is a great run in the Scion for a 1/4 mile.

So no offense taken. I was looking at a ton of different cars. For the same money, I could have found a pretty nize C5 Z06 and had something that would run laps around the FRS. But then you add in costs of consumables, the fact that it would be a pretty used Z06 versus a car with 2k miles on it... I dunno, I'm just a driving enthusiast, not a drag race enthusiast. I have driven plenty of extremely fast cars, and with the exception of some exotics that are WAYYYYY out of my price range, this car is brilliant and right at the top of my list.

The other cool part: even my buddy with the Miata noted that paddock at the track event had Ferraris, race car Corvettes and Vipers, a brand new Exige S, just tons and tons of cool cars. And people were lining up to check mine out. It's just a fun, cool little car

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848

Last edited by trippinbillies4; 04-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
oofie

My Ride: 07 Fit
Send a message via AIM to oofie
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get the FR-S for? You got it used already?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Yeah, it's not a corvette, Z4M, or even an S2000. This is definitely a Miata competitor.

As soon as you drive the car, you realize it's not about the raw speed or its ability to push you back in your seat. But then you push it hard, look in the mirror, and see this huge grin on your face. I love it 1000x more than I ever loved my Z4, and the Z would eat this car for lunch in a drag race. I got a few 14.1s out of the Z, and apparently a high 14.7 is a great run in the Scion for a 1/4 mile.

So no offense taken. I was looking at a ton of different cars. For the same money, I could have found a pretty nize C5 Z06 and had something that would run laps around the FRS. But then you add in costs of consumables, the fact that it would be a pretty used Z06 versus a car with 2k miles on it... I dunno, I'm just a driving enthusiast, not a drag race enthusiast. I have driven plenty of extremely fast cars, and with the exception of some exotics that are WAYYYYY out of my price range, this car is brilliant and right at the top of my list.

The other cool part: even my buddy with the Miata noted that paddock at the track event had Ferraris, race car Corvettes and Vipers, a brand new Exige S, just tons and tons of cool cars. And people were lining up to check mine out. It's just a fun, cool little car
A few friends that own it actually like the fact that it's a bit down on power. You need to drive it like you stole it all the time, which translates into a huge grin on your face. They say every drive becomes a chase scene from Ronin. You might be only doing 40, but it feels like 100. True?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
trippinbillies4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get the FR-S for? You got it used already?
$23,700 with 2600 miles on it. Bought the car from a dealership I've bought several cars from, so they made me a killer deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
A few friends that own it actually like the fact that it's a bit down on power. You need to drive it like you stole it all the time, which translates into a huge grin on your face. They say every drive becomes a chase scene from Ronin. You might be only doing 40, but it feels like 100. True?
I dunno about all of that. I mean it's great to drive, but I get my jollies out autocrossing and at track days. With the crap OEM tires on it, yes, it's extremely easy to get the car sideways if you want to. It's way more composed on good tires. You can still put your foot in it on a corner in 2nd gear on nice tires and get the thing to slide, but it's nothing like the OEM tires. It's hard to describe why it's so fun to drive, it just is.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #27
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
excellent driving on the second vid. huge grin just watching it, can't imagine how awesome it feels doing it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
trippinbillies4

I think you guys are just more impressed by the second video because the back end of the car is moving around, lol. I'm actually happier with the driving in the first video.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
oofie

Bumping this. Wondering what brake pads you ended up getting?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #30
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Sounds like a blast to drive man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #31
trippinbillies4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
Bumping this. Wondering what brake pads you ended up getting?
Just saw this was bumped. I'm on Ferodo's now.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #32
oofie

Quote:
Just saw this was bumped. I'm on Ferodo's now.
Thanks!

I ended up getting an Argento FR-S last May and already been to Thunderhill twice. I'm using Project Mu HC+800 which I think is comparable to the Ferodo DS2500's.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
trippinbillies4

Awesome! I'm budgeting out an STX and TTD build. RTR isn't going to cut it haha.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #34
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Ahhhh just waiting for the inevitable BRZ-STi to come out!!! If there's any car just begging for a turbocharger, this has got to be it.

Last edited by Zell; 07-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #35
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
For not beating that car up until then you got a handle on that scion. That's the most aggressive I've ever seen an FR-S driven. Kudos man. Makes me want one
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #36
trippinbillies4

Here's why I'm hooked on STX:

Pardon the over-exuberance at the end lol. I was a little excited to get second in a really deep field. The guy that beat me was up about 30hp between a tune, header, and running E85 in his FR-S. That, and he's a hell of a lot better driver than I am haha.