E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Thing looks clean sir. How much extra scoot did the DASC add to the m44? is it on the m42 now
Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Is that a indesputable fact?

I'd hate to prove you wrong I really would...But we've done several 2.7 swaps and all have produced more horespower and torque than a stock I motor, even a straight bolt on with no tuning will produce results.
What type of numbers did they put down? There were several people who did the 327i non SETA conversion on e30tech when I was on that forum 10 years ago and they had issues with rough idle and prolonged cranking on startup until they put megasquirt in it. IIRC they put down ~130-135whp and ~140wtq with aftermarket exhaust from the manifolds back, cai and a Dinan dme chip. My b25 dynoed 152whp and 144wtq with very similar modifications.

Just seems like a lot of work for no gains, but I am looking at it from the angle of having an i to begin with, not an e.

Last edited by DangerousMind; 04-08-2013 at 02:04 PM.
DangerousMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #43
mcr_driver

Some started with I's others started with E's. The "weakest" of the swaps came in around 160whp 170wtq with the strongest being 163whp 175wtq. It's not really not the horsepower gain it's more of the torque and how much lower it most of that torque kicks in on the powerband. A friend of outs who sourced a SETA bottom came in at M50 power numbers of 175whp 185ish wtq
Old 04-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
DangerousMind

Quote:
Some started with I's others started with E's. The "weakest" of the swaps came in around 160whp 170wtq with the strongest being 163whp 175wtq. It's not really not the horsepower gain it's more of the torque and how much lower it most of that torque kicks in on the powerband. A friend of outs who sourced a SETA bottom came in at M50 power numbers of 175whp 185ish wtq
160whp is stock m50b25 power. 175whp is m52b28 territory. Those numbers can't be with the stock i cam and exhaust manifolds. If they are, that is astounding.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #45
mcr_driver

Or just properly maintained people are shocked at what a properly maintained car can run. fresh plugs no exhaust leaks. They had exhausts however that can make a slight difference but still.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #46
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Thing looks clean sir. How much extra scoot did the DASC add to the m44? is it on the m42 now
I don't know exactly. I think it had 225hp maybe? Plus it was much lighter than an M3. I could be wrong on that number.

And nope, sold the DASC with the car.

Quote:
Or just properly maintained people are shocked at what a properly maintained car can run. fresh plugs no exhaust leaks. They had exhausts however that can make a slight difference but still.
This! Friends always ask me why my car is so snappy (throttle response wise). It's not really modded at all. It's because of how it's maintained!

When I picked this example (zhp) in my sig up it was incredibly slow. I wouldn't be surprised if I added 20hp or so through tune up stuff.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds

Last edited by Grande D; 04-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #47
mcr_driver

Perfect example I just swapped in a "fresh" engine. My last m20 had about 340k when the piston rings decided life was not worth it anymore. I just installed a lower mileage m20 maybe 140ish k did a valve adjustment, timing belt and fresh plugs. Now she scoots around eagerly again.

Last edited by mcr_driver; 04-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.
mcr_driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #48
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
The efficiency is a good deal higher lair- just head on over to fuelly and take a look. Not having to timing belts or do valve adjustments makes the M42 less work on a year to year basis- your statement about needing to be a mechanic to own an M42 is the furthest thing from an objective statement.
Until the chain guides disintegrate and the profile gasket blows.

I bought a blown 318ic and did a swap to an M20. The chains guides fell apart and locked the engine solid. The swap was pretty easy, though. The M20-powered car was a blast with the huge final drive ratio that was necessary for the m42 (so it would get out of its own way).

I'd rather rock an early M10 version of the four. It was rock solid reliable. I have seen too many blown m42's to ever want to go down that road again.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #49
Grande D

By the sound of it... you never had an E30 with a working M42. The chain guide is the crutch of the late 318s, luckily it can be fixed. You can hear it as they start to go bad, and then it's a cheap part and a lot of work to fix it. It's no reason to discount the engine.

And choosing an M10 over an M42 is simply ludicrous.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #50
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #51
mcr_driver

Quote:
By the sound of it... you never had an E30 with a working M42. The chain guide is the crutch of the late 318s, luckily it can be fixed. You can hear it as they start to go bad, and then it's a cheap part and a lot of work to fix it. It's no reason to discount the engine.

It's basically the amount of effort of doing 5 timing belt jobs in one

But really Changing the timing chain is kind of a standard now especially if you swap in a M/S5X motor or even a larger and much more notorious M6X motor.

I know I helped do an M60 and now an M62 timing chain it's fun

the M42 is a fine little motor it's really a matter of character preference. Do you want more low end grunt or would you rather keep it screaming.

If you chose an M10 it's because you plan to dump ridiculously abusrd amounts of boost in to the car as that iron block is indestructible.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #52
Lair
E46Fanatic

Quote:

I bought a pristine one-owner starspoke-shod '91 vert from its original owner back in '96. I drove it for a few months and sold it because it was gutless and sounded like a blender full of rocks at wot.

The m10 was a real pos. That's why BMW used it as a base for their turbo'ed F1 engine that pushed more than 1000 HP in qualifying trim.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #53
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
kinda unrelated, but my buddy is selling his e30... thing is a monster.

http://truestreetcars.com/forums/veh...aintained.html

dude is always buying cars, building the HELL out of them, then getting bored and flipping em. I dunno how he keeps upgrading.

Last edited by pancakes; 04-08-2013 at 06:24 PM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #54
DangerousMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post

dude is always buying cars, building the HELL out of them, then getting bored and flipping em. I dunno how he keeps upgrading.
That oil cooler on the front is horrible.

Last edited by DangerousMind; 04-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
DangerousMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #55
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post

Last edited by Grande D; 04-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #56
mcr_driver

Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #57
Lair
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
That oil cooler on the front is horrible.
Looks like a tumor.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #58
DangerousMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Looks like a tumor.

Seriously though. He is dreaming with that $10k price tag.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #59
mcr_driver

He might get close to it...If the buildis as properly sorted as those parts appear it's a solid car.

That front mount cooler looks like Bane's mask or Darth Vader
Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #60
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Looks like a tumor.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote