E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #41
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
Dealer stripped my bolt too. They try to tell me it was my fault. They had car up on lift. Showed me the bolt that had little hairs hanging off of it. I said "you JUST stripped it. Look fresh metal". They said no and wanted to charge me an hour labor to get it out. I told them to lower my car and bring it around front. Went to parts counter and bought new plug and oil. Went home and got it off right away. Used vice grips. Got plenty of bite so it was no problem.

I hate the dealer.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
I replaced my bolt just as a precaution last year. Some people haven't a clue what torque specs are and why they're important. They either finger tighten things or beast them on. Then you have the complete noobs that add loctite red to everything, on top of stripping every bolt.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

Last edited by grkm3; 04-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.
grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #43
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Back to the OP, user error.

If anyone should have stripped, it should have been mine 2 weeks ago. I haven't drained my oil in 4 years ever since I started the oil extractor. 2 weeks ago i decided it was a good idea to actually do a full flush. Came off fine, went back on fine.

derp
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
patrick12

My Ride: 325i
Thanks Flash,

A stripped hollow bolt was my problem (BMW 325i), as you stated is typically the problem with these cars. Your pointer proved invaluable for me.
I backed out the top half of the bolt by applying some pressure under the head with a thin screwdriver while using a socket wrench to unscrew it.
Then I stuck in an inexpensive bolt extractor from Canadian Tire and eventually got the bottom half of the bolt out.

I initially assumed the pan threading was stripped too, but nope, it was the bolt. But not so obvious, since it just spun round and round without dropping out, loosening or tightening. Who'd have guessed it?

Needless to say, I'm breathing a big sigh of relief right now! I'm glad BMW uses a hollow bolt!
patrick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #45
Grinchxvx

My Ride: 2001 M3, 1998 M3
Oil Drain Plug stripped - ****ing kidding me BMW engineers?

Why not just leave it in for now and drain the oil from the level sensor?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Grinchxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #46
greenhobby

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
When I purchased my M3 pre-owned from a dealer, the oil drain was leaking due to semi stripped pan. They tried a heli coil first and it kept leaking, so they replaced the entire pan under warranty. I was very nervous about the helicoil and the little metal bits that it generates. Ever since, I change it myself and use a great torque wrench to 18ft lbs. Also very important to use the metric allen socket wrench bits. I've heard some using vice grips and an L allen wrench (bad)...

-good luck...
greenhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #47
Apexeon

My Ride: drthrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Back to the OP, user error.

If anyone should have stripped, it should have been mine 2 weeks ago. I haven't drained my oil in 4 years ever since I started the oil extractor. 2 weeks ago i decided it was a good idea to actually do a full flush. Came off fine, went back on fine.

derp
I was under the impression that this method is deprecated, because not *all* the oil is remove and (thanks to gravity) **** stays at the bottom? 4 years seems a bit long, but I suppose that's why we have an oil filter.

OP I had a post literally a week ago about my bolt being stripped. I ended up taking it somewhere and let them deal with it lol!
Apexeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #48
nopcbs

My Ride: GMC Yukon XL
No, it's not

Top extract and fill is, in fact, a recommended oil change method at Mercedes-Benz. It's why I bought an oil extractor for my 2006 E320 CDI years ago. It works fine as long as you do your change with warm/hot oil. You NEVER get all the oil out, anyway. What you miss with a top-loaded evacuator is miniscule. Recall that the oil drain bolt female flange is NOT flush with the bottom of the pan anyway, so a shallow pool of oil stays behind when you bottom drain.

MB tech bulletin:

Date: March 2001
Order No.: S-SI-58.00/118
Supersedes:
Group 58
SUBJECT:
ALL ENGINES
APPROVED OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT
The purpose of this Service Information is to inform dealers that Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment, which is used to extract used engine oil from the engine via the oil dipstick tube, is now available for order. Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow the extraction of engine oil from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The engine dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section, plus a formed extension at the top end where the dipstick is inserted and the approved engine oil evacuation equipment interfaces. The opposite end of the dipstick ends just short of the oil pan bottom, thus engine oil can be extracted via the approved oil evacuation equipment by using the dipstick tube. Additionally, the engine dipstick tube itself is the conduit through which spent engine oil is moved to the oil evacuation equipment.
In addition, service and repair components for existing approved oil evacuation equipment is also available.
Note: Because the engine oil dipstick tube is the conduit through which spent engine oil is extracted, inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.
Special Note for M-class:
Due to the location of the vehicle frame and suspension components, the draining of engine oil via the engine crankcase oil drain plug is not recommended, since this can lead to engine oil coming in contact and subsequently be damaging to the rubber suspension components. Thus, it is strongly recommended to use the approved oil evacuation equipment contained in the Service

Now I get to use it on the 2006 E46 M3 I bought used Fall of 2012. I just did my first oil change (only do a few thousand miles a year). Had the car up and only then discovered the yahoo engineers at BMW had installed a 6 mm hex head nut. Had no such wrench (just a metric Allen wrench set), so off I went to buy a set. Then I discovered...a stripped oil pan bolt. This was followed immediately by speculation on the questionable ancestry of (1) the BMW engineers who specified such a stupid thing and (2) whoever over-cranked it and caused the strip.

Put the car down and used my oil evacuator to suck the oil out. I measured what I got out. Right at 6 quarts.

The plus side is that getting under the car is a big pain with my ramps, anyway, so top-side is easier. I may replace that idiotic hex head bolt with a proper bolt some time, but I will be in no hurry to do it.

By the way, a few years ago the Greens in Germany were proposing that oil drain bolts in all oil pans be eliminated. Their concern was that a few people were just driving their cars out somewhere and dumping the oil on the ground instead of recycling. They wanted to make it harder to do that. It never came to pass (yet), so the drain plugs remain.

- geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeon View Post
I was under the impression that this method is deprecated, because not *all* the oil is remove and (thanks to gravity) **** stays at the bottom? 4 years seems a bit long, but I suppose that's why we have an oil filter.

OP I had a post literally a week ago about my bolt being stripped. I ended up taking it somewhere and let them deal with it lol!
nopcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #49
mzeed

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP no sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTJ View Post
I made the mistake of going to valvoline quick oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
For future Readers of this post....Thw Moral is never do this (the quote) !!!!!!
I AM SUPRISED THE OP WAS NOT FLAMED FOR THIS........

And the Pearls are : before proceeding.....read a DIY oil change write up on your vehicle, always use METRIC tools on your BMW....and get a couple torque wrenches then torque to spec!!!!

Last edited by mzeed; 05-18-2014 at 04:22 PM.
mzeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #50
Lventhedream

My Ride: E46 - M3 - Vert
You can order a oil change kit that comes with a new plug
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E4...006/ES2550022/
Change the pug at every oil change.

With the kit I go to the local gas station and pay $20 to replace the oil.

I do this now because I had BMW change the oil once and they stripped the oil plug.

Good Luck.
Lventhedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #51
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lventhedream View Post
You can order a oil change kit that comes with a new plug
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E4...006/ES2550022/
Change the pug at every oil change.

With the kit I go to the local gas station and pay $20 to replace the oil.

I do this now because I had BMW change the oil once and they stripped the oil plug.

Good Luck.
Beat me to it.