E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
KSK

My Ride: //M
Engine codes indicating VANOS failure?

Hey guys

Long time lurker first time poster. Hoping I can get some insight on this here
I just got the trouble codes read on my 02 m3 and got the following:

43 - Activation, inlet VANOS, bank1, advance valve
07 - Signal, camshaft sensor, inlet, bank 1
B8 - Function, inlet VANOS, bank 1
16 - Activation, exhaust VANOS, bank 1, advance valve
B9 - Function, exhaust VANOS, bank 1

Do these sound like a typical VANOS system failure that will require the unit to be replaced or is further diagnosis recommended? I'm thinking of doing the repair myself
KSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
You can't really "repair" a vanos you have to buy a new refurb or brand new one, when my vanos needed to be replaced I went with dr.vanos, look them up and they give you 400 dollars back if you give them your old vanos, good luck with everything

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
karl hungus

My Ride: 2004 M3
First time getting these codes?

Do you have any other symptoms (rough idle, sluggish performance, rattling sounds, ect?)

Reset the fault codes and allow the engine to idle. If the fault codes are generated in a few minutes, then the vanos malfunction is likely to be one of two things: loose intake sprocket mounting bolts OR vanos malfunction caused by broken vanos oil pump exhaust sprocket hub driver tab(s). These are two common reasons Vanos codes are generated..

If the car does not generate the codes within a few minutes, then it's likely to be intermittent solenoid failure which is a much easier and cheaper thing to fix.

I struggled with intermittent vanos related issues for months and months before I realized my issue was with a faulty solenoid. Simply going to the dealer and replacing the solenoid will result in the same codes eventually because of the faulty OEM design. So I refer you to Beisan Systems who solved all my vanos troubles with their remanufactured solenoid pack.

I stopped taking my car to the dealer for vanos diagnosis since they refuse to acknowledge the OEM faulty solenoid and faulty cam bolts. Try those things out I told you and let me know what you come up with...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Yes, it sounds like the solenoid pack. The problem does not have to be intermittent. Mine was not.

It could still be the tabs, though.

Last edited by choxor; 04-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
KSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl hungus View Post
First time getting these codes?

Do you have any other symptoms (rough idle, sluggish performance, rattling sounds, ect?)

Reset the fault codes and allow the engine to idle. If the fault codes are generated in a few minutes, then the vanos malfunction is likely to be one of two things: loose intake sprocket mounting bolts OR vanos malfunction caused by broken vanos oil pump exhaust sprocket hub driver tab(s). These are two common reasons Vanos codes are generated..

If the car does not generate the codes within a few minutes, then it's likely to be intermittent solenoid failure which is a much easier and cheaper thing to fix.

I struggled with intermittent vanos related issues for months and months before I realized my issue was with a faulty solenoid. Simply going to the dealer and replacing the solenoid will result in the same codes eventually because of the faulty OEM design. So I refer you to Beisan Systems who solved all my vanos troubles with their remanufactured solenoid pack.

I stopped taking my car to the dealer for vanos diagnosis since they refuse to acknowledge the OEM faulty solenoid and faulty cam bolts. Try those things out I told you and let me know what you come up with...
Have all those symptoms, rough idle (not too bad but a bit rough) performance loss in low rpm and I was told by a friend driving in a car beside me that the engine sounded weird and "off"

Not too sure how long those codes have been, I changed the exhasut cam position sensor a while back since I was told by a mechanic I had that code when I bought the car, but hadn't bothered resetting the computer since, it's been almost 8 months. I just reset it after reading the above codes, going to change the intake cam position sensor before turning it on (since I already have it) then let it idle and monitor the codes again as you mentioned above

Worthy to mention the previous owner had changed the Vanos with a Dr Vanos unit approx 2 years ago, which also apparently came with a new solenoid, so I'm a bit surprised to see these codes, and that's why I decided to change the sensor first, even though it's most likely not the cause

Thanks for the Besian referral, will definitely give them a try if it narrows down to be the solenoid
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
KSK

IS there a general consensus on here regarding reliability of these Dr Vanos units? As mentioned above both the vanos and the solenoid had been replaced by the previous owner with Dr Vanos replacements approx 2 years back

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
karl hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSK View Post
IS there a general consensus on here regarding reliability of these Dr Vanos units? As mentioned above both the vanos and the solenoid had been replaced by the previous owner with Dr Vanos replacements approx 2 years back

Thanks
I don't trust the Dr.Vanos solenoid replacement since it is a direct factory replacement solenoid. Which means, it is susceptible to failure in the same way. The beisian systems solenoid is literally remanufactured to correct the faulty solder joints and sealing plate O rings.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
do you have any misfires? I'm having a similar problem with the codes saying that it's vanos but I think it's the o2 sensor. my car runs fine when it's moving but when it idles, it misfires and throws on a check engine light and when i turn it off and back on, it goes away
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
vlcmstnsct

My Ride: 2002 E46 330i
Re: Engine codes indicating VANOS failure?

You can rebuild your vanos like myself and many many others have done.

www.beisansystems.com

Sent from my SCH-I535

VIR Oktoberfast 2013
vlcmstnsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
XKR

but I don't thinks it's vanos lol. they had the headers out so maybe they plugged the o2 sensors into the wrong plugs I hope that's the case

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

SGT catless headers

Full BW 3.5" Straight Pipe Race Exhaust w/ diffuser

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
karl hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
do you have any misfires? I'm having a similar problem with the codes saying that it's vanos but I think it's the o2 sensor. my car runs fine when it's moving but when it idles, it misfires and throws on a check engine light and when i turn it off and back on, it goes away
It's possible that the O2 harness was reversed during the header install. What exactly are your codes?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl hungus View Post
It's possible that the O2 harness was reversed during the header install. What exactly are your codes?
uhh I don't know off the top of my head but I could tell you what is wrong with it. So basically if I let it idle, it starts to (cylinders 3-6) misfire and the check engine light comes on but if I turn the car off real fas and restart it, all is good and the light goes off. I hope it's just the o2 senors reversed
Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
uhh I don't know off the top of my head but I could tell you what is wrong with it. So basically if I let it idle, it starts to (cylinders 3-6) misfire and the check engine light comes on but if I turn the car off real fas and restart it, all is good and the light goes off. I hope it's just the o2 senors reversed
I had the same problem when I put header son... I had reversed the o2sensors. Looking the web and there r some pics that help identify them. Soon as I made the change the car ran great.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
I had the same problem when I put header son... I had reversed the o2sensors. Looking the web and there r some pics that help identify them. Soon as I made the change the car ran great.

apperantly mine was a ground problem. and the coilpack needed updates because of the brands. something about how bremi coils were bad or I think I was running Bosch coils. not sure but the problem got solved